#32 Gucci Mane

Gucci Mane

Trap God

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts
  • LocationKitchen

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:55 AM

hahaha people take a highschool stat class and think theyre a fuggin statitician... This is the dumbest map i have ever seen. Sure there are steelers fans here but there are a TON more Cowboy and Redskin fans...hell even more falcons fans. Facebook is NOT what you go to for an accurate representation of anything.

#33 Toundra

Toundra

100% French meat

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,769 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:39 AM

We are an army in U-rope !

#34 Boner Champ

Boner Champ

Future Training Camp MVP

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,348 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:16 AM

Winning cures all

#35 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• HUDDLER
  • 9,898 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:29 AM

This was my initial reaction... Wow, that many Panther fans, sweet!

Look at those fuging Dallas Appalachia mountain folk. Those people don't even leave the county, WHY ARE THEY COWBOY FANS!?

because of their fond memories of eating squirrel stew with paw paw and watching the cowboys game on the only channel they got on the tv box.

#36 1989

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:00 AM

Isn't this really just where that team is shown on television?

#37 catfang

catfang

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,280 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:05 AM

LOL at Jags

#38 Rhys

Rhys

Not Rhys Lloyd

• ALL-PRO
  • 926 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:15 AM

hahaha people take a highschool stat class and think theyre a fuggin statitician... This is the dumbest map i have ever seen. Sure there are steelers fans here but there are a TON more Cowboy and Redskin fans...hell even more falcons fans. Facebook is NOT what you go to for an accurate representation of anything.

At the bottom of the article he states the statistical failures of the map but it doesn't totally discount it.

Living in Raleigh, from my own experience, it's accurate. I know more Steelers 'fans' than any others. There are like 4 Steelers centric bars in Ralegh, in fact the only Panthers bar downtown just closed this past winter. Twas' a sad thing, the Giants game week 3 (or was it 4? I already can't remember) the bar was packed to the brim with Panthers fans. As we lost, each week it had less and less Panthers fans in it.

Success begets bandwagoniers, the Panthers won't begin to accrue fans in the area until they start winning consistently, only then will it sway their fickle bandwagoney hearts.

Most UNC fans have never been within 100 miles of Chapel Hill. That doesn't stop them from being a fan. Why you ask? Because UNC wins consistently. It's the same thing, except that Steelers fans in NC can't even claim they're from the state that the team plays in.

Bandwagonism, the only cure is a healthy prolonged dose of W's. Even then it can take many years to cure (see Cowboys fans).

#39 cultclassiccat

cultclassiccat

flash

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts
  • LocationG spot

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:37 AM

Cam

:hair:

#40 DenverPantherFamily

DenverPantherFamily

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

Wow the Cowboys fan base is everywhere.

They didn't account for me in Maine :(

Where at in Maine? I lived in L/A for awhile, but now I'm out in Denver....

#41 OnlyPantherFaninMaine

OnlyPantherFaninMaine

All In.

• HUDDLER
  • 6,333 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:47 PM

Where at in Maine? I lived in L/A for awhile, but now I'm out in Denver....

Right outside of Portland..on the water.

#42 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,667 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:46 PM

This map is interesting but hardly definitive enough to spawn a big debate. The statistician who did this largely discounted his work at the bottom. He admits using a winner take all formula so if there were 20 Pittsburgh likes in Spartanburg, and 19 Panther likes, it would be counted as a Steeler county. Pllus the whole idea that facebook likes relates to popularity is ridiculous given that roughly 49% of the population have never used facebook, millions more don't use it regularly, and tens of millions are facebook users but didn't "like the Panthers" or any other team. For example I have PSLs and go to every home game, I have a facebook account I use regularly but I haven't liked the Panthers on facebook or any other team. I am surely not alone.

Here are the statistician's comments.

Facebook likes are far from a perfect method for measuring NFL fandom. In sparsely-populated areas of the country, counties are likely to have a very small sample size. People who like things on Facebook are also not a perfect cross-section of football fans (they probably skew younger, for example). Other data sources that could be used as proxies for fan interest (but are subject to their own biases) are things like: home game attendance, merchandise sales, TV ratings, or volume of tweets about a team.
Additionally, the winner-take-all method of coloring counties lacks a sense of counties where a team dominates vs. counties where it is barely more popular than the runners-up. An alternate approach might be to use shading to convey the margin by which a team wins the county, but this makes it difficult to compare more than two teams at once, and there's still a tradeoff between coloring by percentage vs. number of fans.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com