Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Happy Panther

It costs less to send a person on a cruise than to put them in jail

42 posts in this topic

i too hope that we can reimplement draconian practices that

a ) don't deter or rehabilitate

and

b ) are literally slavery

i too hope that we can reimplement draconian practices that

a ) don't deter or rehabilitate

and

b ) are literally slavery

Curious what do you think adequate punishment is for : Rapist, Murderers, Repeat Criminals?

But more sex

You mixed the words up

2 people like this

Curious what do you think adequate punishment is for : Rapist, Murderers, Repeat Criminals?

We should just pat them on the back and tell them not to do it again. That should work.

You either believe prisoners forfeit basic human rights when they commit their crime, or you don't.

Personally, I believe we should treat prisoners with respect that we would afford any other human being. Love, rehabilitation, and all of that warm and fuzzy bullsh*t.

Dunno. But look at this country:

Max sentence around 7 years.

1/10th the rate of incarceration

1/8th the homicide rate

1/3 rate of Recidivism

Does jailing the highest percent of citizens in the world do anything to reduce crime?

You either believe prisoners forfeit basic human rights when they commit their crime, or you don't.

Personally, I believe we should treat prisoners with respect that we would afford any other human being. Love, rehabilitation, and all of that warm and fuzzy bullsh*t.

I fall (yes here we go) somewhere between that and chain gangs. :D

Something like a chain gang, busting rocks, dangerous work, demeaning work, etc would indeed be a violation of basic human rights.

Things like picking up trash on the side of the road, working to make the prison operate cheaper (Grow your own food, laundry, janitorial services), and even into developing skills sets like carpentry, plumbing, etc so they could fix issues that show up.

I'm a big fan of rehabilitation with these folks, in fact my family farm has employed several multiple conviction guys (drugs, minor stealing offenses) to try and help them make a buck.

Hard part comes to the guys that I think on some level forfeit human rights.

Serial Killers, Serial Rapists, Multi-incident cases of Child molestation, etc. I'm not sure what the "right" thing is to do with them. Many "can't be fixed" and some are so ingrained in their mindsets (Gangbangers, Neo-Nazi's, etc) that again they "cant be fixed".

Curious what others have to say that lean towards the softer side of capital punishment.

Dunno. But look at this country:

Max sentence around 7 years.

1/10th the rate of incarceration

1/8th the homicide rate

1/3 rate of Recidivism

Does jailing the highest percent of citizens in the world do anything to reduce crime?

I think the concept of removing them from society is ok. It's what happens during their incarceration that is the issue.

I feel this will eventually fall into classism issues, where people just can't get out of the system so they turn to illegal ways to "make it".

Curious what others have to say that lean towards the softer side of capital punishment.

I'm guessing we have the highest percentage of crime that is somehow drug related in the world.

Fix the war on drugs first...

I'm guessing we have the highest percentage of crime that is somehow drug related in the world.

Legalize pot and you will fix a big part of "The War on Drugs".

Tax it like cigs and you might remove the national debt :D

This.

A lot of people get in the system for petty bs like selling pot and can't get out... and then get pushed farther into a life of crime.

This.

A lot of people get in the system for petty bs like selling pot and can't get out... and then get pushed farther into a life of crime.

Actually goes further into other BS like the 3 strikes = forever that Godspin mentioned in another thread (Yes I am agreeing with him/her/it)

Sure a guy that has shoplifted twice and got busted with a joint once has issues, but he shouldn't be in jail for years at a time.