Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Morning After Pill

172 posts in this topic

Posted

If someone refuses to let a child purchase candy without a note from their parents, it should not be prosecuted and it won't. If a doctor tells a parent about their kid's pregnancy or sexual behavior, they get prosecuted.

Well that actually makes some sense. But if this is really your problem you should be going after the doctor/ patient confidentiality laws concerning minors instead blocking access to contraceptives.

Posted

First of all, I don't think many 9 year olds are having consensual sex. If they are, their parents are doing an incredibly shitty job as it is, so why consult with them?

Posted

Well that actually makes some sense. But if this is really your problem you should be going after the doctor/ patient confidentiality laws concerning minors instead blocking access to contraceptives.

I've been consistent on this notion. The reason that I take this argument to extremes is because of history and because of how it challenges my own views with respect to liberty. It strikes at the heart of "when does a child become an adult?" as well as "what is the ethics of the state making moral decisions on the behalf of parents?".

These aren't high-minded notions that stay in a philosopher's head and never see the light of day. This is happening here and now. It ISN'T a slam dunk case like most people here would have us believe. The trends of the state garnering more control in all facets of our lives continues to gain ground on a daily basis. I simply think that it's a bad idea to assume that we can make decisions for other people and assume we own the moral high ground.

Posted

First of all, I don't think many 9 year olds are having consensual sex. If they are, their parents are doing an incredibly shitty job as it is, so why consult with them?

So you believe that 9 year old kids should be able to purchase contraception without a consult of a parent. Got it. I think we're done here

Posted

Lean Forward Zod... here is a part of your slippery slope

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Whoa! Who elected her into government?

Posted

Whoa! Who elected her into government?

Who allowed her to use the President's platform slogan?

Posted

Who allowed her to use the President's platform slogan?

The founding fathers?

Posted

The founding fathers?

Right... because Fox news can use "Lean Forward" in whatever way they see fit without fear of reprisal from the highest office in the land.

Posted

Do you always chase your own tail in debates or is that a recent phenomenon?

Posted

Do you always chase your own tail in debates or is that a recent phenomenon?

Care to explain how advocating a right to have a say in your child's decisions equates to chasing my tail? Or is it the part of how the state continues to assume more of a role in making those decisions for us whether we want it or not?

Posted

Care to explain how advocating a right to have a say in your child's decisions equates to chasing my tail?

How exactly is the government stopping you from having a say in your child's life? Afterall, isn't the child ultimately your responsibility? Shouldn't you as a parent not need government intervention to know whats happening in your childs life? As a parent, do you need a law forcing your child to talk to you? I don't.

1 person likes this

Posted

While I agree that the conservatives would be wise to promote Plan B as an alternative to abortion, I think the issue with promoting the general use of the morning after pill is it normalizes unprotected sex. So yes it would cut down on the number of abortions, but it would lead to an explosion in the rate of STDs, especially amongst teenagers.

Somebody show this to sz. Same thing I said. Just...differently.