Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Julius Peppers the greatest player in Panthers history?

483 posts in this topic

Posted

point blank, the best panther ever wouldn't have quit on his team.

he's not a panther by his own choosing. nothing he did when he wore the jersey mattered.

stats and accomplishments don't matter. he is and forever will be the guy who quit on his team when things got tough. he left. he quit. he's not a panther. end of story.

julius peppers = kerry collins.

Posted

point blank, the best panther ever wouldn't have quit on his team.

he's not a panther by his own choosing. nothing he did when he wore the jersey mattered.

stats and accomplishments don't matter. he is and forever will be the guy who quit on his team when things got tough. he left. he quit. he's not a panther. end of story.

julius peppers = kerry collins.

Please read because you are wrong...

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-10-09/sports/ct-spt-1010-bears-chicago-peppers-20101009_1_marty-hurney-julius-peppers-panthers

Julius Peppers waited a week, then two, then a month.

He kept checking his phone during Pro Bowl week in January, hoping someone from the Panthers' front office would reach out and relay which direction the franchise was headed.

The call never came, leaving Peppers with a case of the Carolina blues.

"They want to spin it like I was hell bent on getting out of there," the Bears defensive end said of the Panthers, his team for eight seasons with before landing in Chicago. "They want to spin it like I wanted out no matter what."

The reality, according to what Peppers told the Tribune, just wasn't that.

"On two different occasions — right before last season started, while I had the franchise tag on, and then after the season — I was open to staying both times. But for whatever reason, they didn't get in contact with us.

"They didn't even say anything."

Posted

the most legendary of trolls have the ability to evoke massive, sweeping, pages-long treatises worthy of JSTOR cataloging that expound on why their OP is so infuriating

Posted

Please read because you are wrong...

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-10-09/sports/ct-spt-1010-bears-chicago-peppers-20101009_1_marty-hurney-julius-peppers-panthers

Julius Peppers waited a week, then two, then a month.

He kept checking his phone during Pro Bowl week in January, hoping someone from the Panthers' front office would reach out and relay which direction the franchise was headed.

The call never came, leaving Peppers with a case of the Carolina blues.

"They want to spin it like I was hell bent on getting out of there," the Bears defensive end said of the Panthers, his team for eight seasons with before landing in Chicago. "They want to spin it like I wanted out no matter what."

The reality, according to what Peppers told the Tribune, just wasn't that.

"On two different occasions — right before last season started, while I had the franchise tag on, and then after the season — I was open to staying both times. But for whatever reason, they didn't get in contact with us.

"They didn't even say anything."

meh....he quit. he said he wanted out. he shut them off and whined about getting tagged. it was obvious he quit and wanted to leave. they gave him what he wanted, a year late imo.

and then he turned into a weasel. he couldn't even own up to the fact that when the let him walk, they were just giving him and that lame ass agent of his what he had been bitching for. he had to make it sound like he was open to coming back, but we all know the deal. he quit on his team and wasn't man enough to own it.

Posted

OP, man, I follow athletes and enjoy sports as much as the next guy,

but you're like worshipping the dude. Do you realize how weird it is for a grown man (I assume) to be devoting so much time and effort to defending another grown man on a random message board?

Posted

meh....he quit. he said he wanted out. he shut them off and whined about getting tagged. it was obvious he quit and wanted to leave. they gave him what he wanted, a year late imo.

and then he turned into a weasel. he couldn't even own up to the fact that when the let him walk, they were just giving him and that lame ass agent of his what he had been bitching for. he had to make it sound like he was open to coming back, but we all know the deal. he quit on his team and wasn't man enough to own it.

"i just wanted to stay a panther so bad. that's why i held out until training camp to sign my tender and demanded a trade"

e: peppers turned down $14 million/year to stay a panther

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/8541/panthers-made-last-ditch-run-at-peppers

Posted

Can we hit 20 pages on the topic of the most anti climatic career in franchise history?

Posted

"i just wanted to stay a panther so bad. that's why i held out until training camp to sign my tender and demanded a trade"

e: peppers turned down $14 million/year to stay a panther

http://espn.go.com/b...-run-at-peppers

They made a last ditch effort, by then it was too late. Regardless, whether Peppers wanted to stay or not really doesn't matter, maybe he felt it was time to move on, maybe he didn't like the fans and media in Carolina talking garbage about him, etc.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-03-20/sports/ct-spt-0321-chicago-bears-julius-peppers-20100320_1_julius-peppers-carl-carey-chicago

"I think back in Charlotte, I had been there so long that everybody got used to me. I mean, I got attention there and all that. But out here in Chicago, it feels a lot more genuine.''

Peppers' words and body language imply that his desire to bolt Charlotte wasn't all about leaving Carolina Panthersicon1.png blue behind for the green in Chicago.

"Truth be told, that's really one of the small reasons that I wanted to get out; because everybody knows your business in Charlotte,'' he says. "I wanted to try something different because out here in Chicago, Jordan was here. Pippen was here. They've got Urlacher. They've got hockey. They've got the baseballicon1.png. In Charlotte, it was all about the Panthers.''

Peppers pauses then finishes the thought.

"I live on a small town on the lake, and I mean people would get on their jet skis and just post up in front of my crib, trying to see who was there in my house.''

Peppers' initial impression of his new home is that it mirrors Toronto and New York, his favorite getaways. Here in Chicago, he believes he can live in obscurity.

Posted

I used to love the guy and I won't take his game play away, he was great but the way he left really changed my perspective...I still have his jersey and haven't worn it since the off season before he was franchised. I just have that mixed feeling about him, I do think its time to put that jersey to use, RAG bytches

Posted

OP, man, I follow athletes and enjoy sports as much as the next guy,

but you're like worshipping the dude. Do you realize how weird it is for a grown man (I assume) to be devoting so much time and effort to defending another grown man on a random message board?

he's worshipping a quitter and a weasel.

and before he or anyone says I'm putting just as much effort or energy into it, I've committed maybe 5 minutes of my time and no further thought than the moments I've spent actually responding to a multitude of links to a ton of crap and quotes and youtube videos that i didn't look at and don't intend to because he deserves as much effort as he put into trying to stay here.

in fact I've given him, this thread, and this peppers hero worshipper more attention than deserved. am i mad? nah....just not going to waste anymore time on this big eared clown.

Posted

yeah we all remember julius crying because he was the biggest thing going in charlotte and panthers fans loved him to death. i'm surprised you brought that up considering you posted this several pages back:

The media in Carolina made that crap up about Peppers and some of the stupid fans bought that crap up, I think that is a major reason Peppers left, because he didn't feel appreciated in Carolina.

also you need to read the article because it identifies the "last ditch" offer as being the third one made by the panthers. basically you are stupid and should stop posting.

by the way, it's documented that hurney was trying to sign peppers to an extension as far back as 2007 which was anticipated to make him the highest paid defensive player in the league:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/78/peppers-breaks-silence-discusses-contract-status

god damn are you getting owned. you're posting peppers' barely coherent doublespeak whereas i'm coming out with archival news articles that are stuffed with hard facts that slaughter your stupid arguments. how embarrassing!

Posted

also as for you bringing up the mystery illness in 2007 over and over:

Peppers denied that an illness that sidelined him for much of last year's training camp played a role in his play last season.

"No, I don't think it had lingering effects,'' Peppers said. "I was only sick for maybe two weeks. I will say during that time I lost weight and a little bit of strength and probably a little bit of explosiveness. But during the season, I wasn't sick at all.''

shield your eyes everyone this is getting ugly