Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Julius Peppers the greatest player in Panthers history?

483 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Julius Peppers' boyfriend is posting.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-03-20/sports/ct-spt-0321-chicago-bears-julius-peppers-20100320_1_julius-peppers-carl-carey-chicago

But along with the optimism expressed by the fans is the trepidation voiced by skeptics in regard to Peppers' work ethic. It is a label he says dates to his college days, when a coach questioned his desire before the 2002 draft. Peppers still ended up with the Panthers as the No. 2 overall selection.
Many wondered if there was validity to the coach's claim when two-time Pro Bowl linebacker Jon Beason, Peppers' former teammate in Carolina, went on a Charlotte radio station last season and said he would confront Peppers about playing with more intensity.
"Beason … he knew he was wrong for that,'' Peppers says, his tone raised a notch. "I didn't even have to respond to that because as soon as he left the radio station, he came over and apologized.
"People that really know me know how I work. You never heard one of my coaches or (other) teammates say anything about my work ethic. And that Beason thing kind of got taken out of context.''
Regardless, Peppers knows he has to produce immediate results. He comes to Chicago with 81 career sacks, an average of 10.1 per season, to go with 48 tackles per year. He doesn't want to put a number on sacks this season, although he agrees 10 or more seems reasonable.
"A lot of people don't really understand that a statistic is an indicator, but it doesn't really give the full picture of the body of work,'' he says. "There's been time when I've had one sack or no sacks and controlled a whole [url="http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-03-20/sports/ct-spt-0321-chicago-bears-julius-peppers-20100320_1_julius-peppers-carl-carey-chicago/2#"][color=#009900][size=2][u][background=transparent]game[/background][/u][/size][/color][/url], and I've seen other cats get three or four sacks and it had no effect on that game.
"My approach is going to be all about winning [url="http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-03-20/sports/ct-spt-0321-chicago-bears-julius-peppers-20100320_1_julius-peppers-carl-carey-chicago/2#"][color=#009900][size=2][u][background=transparent]games[/background][/u][/size][/color][/url]. All the rest of that stuff will take care of itself.''
Peppers says if he plays up to his potential, the Bears should make the playoffs. He continues to view himself as another valuable piece rather than the savior, regardless of the hero's welcome he received during his first full week in Chicago.
"The Bears are a little bit more established on the defensive side than in Carolina,'' he says, "and plus, I believe in Jay Cutler. … I see the potential. There's no doubt in my mind that we're going to turn this thing around.''
And Peppers has no doubt that he'll silence his critics.
"If you want to keep saying things, go ahead,'' he says. "I actually want people to keep saying that I take plays off because it's going to keep me on my toes. It's only going to fuel my fire even more.''

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/241461-panthers-mum-on-pro-bowl-lb-beasons-knee-injury

Jon Beason apologized Thursday for calling
out [url="http://bleacherreport.com/carolina-panthers"]Carolina[/url] teammate Julius Peppers for his lack of production
last week, even after the [url="http://bleacherreport.com/carolina-panthers"]Panthers[/url] responded with their first
win.
“After what happened, I realized I was wrong,” Beason said on
radio station WFNZ. “There are certain things you shouldn’t say
in public, certain things that should remain in-house. That’s
where I made my mistake.”

Posted · Report post

[quote name='PredatorPeppers' timestamp='1365788387' post='2193059']
Steve Smith is great, but he may or may not be a HOFer, Peppers on the other hand will be a first ballot HOFer when he retires. Peppers is also the greatest defensive player of his generation along with Ray Lewis.
[/quote]

If Kevin Greene who has 49 more sacks than Peppers isn't in the HOF, how do you figure Peppers will be a first ballot? Peppers top sack season was 14.5. Greene equalled or bested 14.5 5 times.

Posted · Report post

it's a shame i met my quota.

Posted · Report post

1. Smitty
2. Peppers

Posted · Report post

Beason was right on the money with Peppers. How long did it take for Peppers to "earn" a captain's spot? He isn't a leader, he's just a guy with a once in a lifetime athletic ability.

Posted · Report post

I remember quite a few Vick vs Peppers game, as he was really our only chance of stopping him before Thomas Davis. One memory that sticks out in particular was 2004 I think, when Peppers literally grabbed the ball out of Vick's hand and went for a TD.

However, I wouldn't say he was the greatest player ever. He took too many plays off, and disappeared at times, not to mention his attitude when he left. I'd take Smith over him anyway as all time Panther.

Posted · Report post

He ranks right up there with Kerry Collins in my book!!!!

Posted · Report post

[quote name='CatMan72' timestamp='1365789840' post='2193107']
1. Smitty
2. Peppers
[/quote]

I'd put Delhomme over Peppers if we are doing an all time list.

However, if we were to make a list on stats and stats alone Peppers is near the top.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='h0llywood' timestamp='1365789775' post='2193102']

If Kevin Greene who has 49 more sacks than Peppers isn't in the HOF, how do you figure Peppers will be a first ballot? Peppers top sack season was 14.5. Greene equalled or bested 14.5 5 times.
[/quote]

I suspect Greene isn't in the HOF because of the pro wrestling stuff... he'll get there some day but they're going to make him wait.

Posted · Report post

so are you a bears fan or something

Posted · Report post

[quote name='SmashNDash' timestamp='1365789893' post='2193110']
I remember quite a few Vick vs Peppers game, as he was really our only chance of stopping him before Thomas Davis. One memory that sticks out in particular was 2004 I think, when Peppers literally grabbed the ball out of Vick's hand and went for a TD.

[/quote]

That Falcons/Panthers sunday night game is one of the best panther games I've ever seen. It was that game where Vick dove in for a score and his knee was literally a centimeter off the turf in the GA dome. We did lose but I remember the game and it was incredible to watch.