Photo
* * - - - 5 votes

Is Julius Peppers the greatest player in Panthers history?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
482 replies to this topic

#271 AggieLean.

AggieLean.

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,498 posts
  • LocationChattanooga, TN via Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:09 PM

Looking at those interceptions Peppers got makes me miss his presence on our defensive line even more. He was the complete package. Could get a sack for you, and intercept it and take it to the house the next.

#272 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,963 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:14 PM

Greatest athlete yes, greatest player nope. Steve Smith is the greatest player we have seen play in Carolina and probably won't be matched in terms of greatness for sometime. I mean the guy won the triple crown during a season when the team ran more times than they passed. Just think about that while you ponder the phrase greatest player.

I'd argue Pep is now the 2nd best athlete thanks to a guy now on the roster....and the guy to surpass Smith is already on the roster as well and off to a historic pace.

#273 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,963 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:15 PM

Looking at those interceptions Peppers got makes me miss his presence on our defensive line even more. He was the complete package. Could get a sack for you, and intercept it and take it to the house the next.

His blocks were also nice and overlooked addition

#274 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Baptized In The Blood Of Saints

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,283 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:17 PM

Why don't you think he has an ounce of want to? That is rediculous IMO, Peppers is my favorite player of all time, I have read numerous articles on him, and watched nearly all his games. I know for a fact he has desire to be a great player and is also a good person. Maybe if he was a rah rah look at me jack ass like Jared Allen is or Desean Jackson type people would like him better. It seems in our sad society people like the cocky douche bags better than the humble quiet lead by example types. Peppers doesn't toot his own horn, which is one of the many reasons why he is my favorite player.

And no I did not create an account for that purpose.

The reason I say he doesn't have an ounce of want to is because I've seen the man play when he is motivated by some external factor. When he "wants" to be, he is unstoppable period. That's why I have a hard time continuing to like him. I could force it as long as he played for us but now that he's gone I can finally put to rest all of the frustration of watching him not be what he could have been.

#275 PredatorPeppers

PredatorPeppers

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:39 PM

I'd argue Pep is now the 2nd best athlete thanks to a guy now on the roster....and the guy to surpass Smith is already on the roster as well and off to a historic pace.

Cam is a great athlete no doubt but not quite the pound for pound wonder that Pep is...

Peppers alley-oop dunk

http://sportsillustr...3179/index.htm/

Peppers was the best basketball player and among the best football players ever at Southern Nash, where he received so many recruiting letters that he was given his own mail slot in the school office. In basketball he finished his career with more than 1,600 points, 800 rebounds and 200 assists and was heavily recruited by Duke. In football Peppers rushed for 3,501 yards and 46 touchdowns at tailback and manhandled opponents as a defensive lineman. In his final game, when Northeast Guilford High ran a sweep away from Peppers, he chased down the running back, stole the ball from behind and raced 90 yards the other way for a touchdown.
As a senior, Peppers placed second in the triple jump at the state track meet, despite wearing spikes two sizes too small because size 18s couldn't be found. Having watched Big Head swing a bat, Davis believes he could have been a baseball star as well. The coach still shakes his head in disbelief as he recalls a three-hour football practice on a scorching summer day before Peppers's junior season, after which all the other Firebirds lay sprawled on the grass or huddled around the water spigot. Peppers strolled over to one end zone and began doing backflips the length of the field. No hands. For 100 yards. In full pads and helmet.
He was called Big Head because he had a large hat size, not an inflated opinion of himself. "As a kid I never saw myself as unusual," Peppers says. "I always thought that lots of people could do what I did. More and more I realized I was wrong."

On Peppers's left arm is a tattoo of the Tasmanian Devil holding a football in his left hand and a basketball in his right. The sports world has become accustomed to two-sport stars, from Deion Sanders to Bo Jackson to Brian Jordan. At 6'6" entering his junior year of eligibility, Peppers may be the largest, most intimidating model to date. He bench-presses 425 pounds, runs the 40 in 4.5 seconds, has a 37.5-inch vertical leap and only 4% body fat. During Peppers's redshirt year the North Carolina football coaches couldn't decide at which position he might wreak the most havoc, so they listed him on the roster as athlete. "Julius is a freak of nature," says Ronald Curry, a Tar Heels senior who plays football (quarterback) and basketball (point guard). "The best compliment you can give him is he's such a natural at both sports that when he's playing one, you forget he's just as good at the other."

#276 ElkinPanthersFan

ElkinPanthersFan

Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:02 PM

I wonder if iptracers run back to Bailey, NC for this poster....

#277 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,302 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:21 PM

point blank, the best panther ever wouldn't have quit on his team.

he's not a panther by his own choosing. nothing he did when he wore the jersey mattered.

stats and accomplishments don't matter. he is and forever will be the guy who quit on his team when things got tough. he left. he quit. he's not a panther. end of story.

julius peppers = kerry collins.

#278 PredatorPeppers

PredatorPeppers

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:34 PM

point blank, the best panther ever wouldn't have quit on his team.

he's not a panther by his own choosing. nothing he did when he wore the jersey mattered.

stats and accomplishments don't matter. he is and forever will be the guy who quit on his team when things got tough. he left. he quit. he's not a panther. end of story.

julius peppers = kerry collins.

Please read because you are wrong...

http://articles.chic...eppers-panthers

Julius Peppers waited a week, then two, then a month.
He kept checking his phone during Pro Bowl week in January, hoping someone from the Panthers' front office would reach out and relay which direction the franchise was headed.

The call never came, leaving Peppers with a case of the Carolina blues.
"They want to spin it like I was hell bent on getting out of there," the Bears defensive end said of the Panthers, his team for eight seasons with before landing in Chicago. "They want to spin it like I wanted out no matter what."
The reality, according to what Peppers told the Tribune, just wasn't that.
"On two different occasions — right before last season started, while I had the franchise tag on, and then after the season — I was open to staying both times. But for whatever reason, they didn't get in contact with us.

"They didn't even say anything."

#279 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,090 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:47 PM

the most legendary of trolls have the ability to evoke massive, sweeping, pages-long treatises worthy of JSTOR cataloging that expound on why their OP is so infuriating

#280 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,302 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:56 PM

Please read because you are wrong...

http://articles.chic...eppers-panthers

Julius Peppers waited a week, then two, then a month.
He kept checking his phone during Pro Bowl week in January, hoping someone from the Panthers' front office would reach out and relay which direction the franchise was headed.

The call never came, leaving Peppers with a case of the Carolina blues.
"They want to spin it like I was hell bent on getting out of there," the Bears defensive end said of the Panthers, his team for eight seasons with before landing in Chicago. "They want to spin it like I wanted out no matter what."
The reality, according to what Peppers told the Tribune, just wasn't that.
"On two different occasions — right before last season started, while I had the franchise tag on, and then after the season — I was open to staying both times. But for whatever reason, they didn't get in contact with us.

"They didn't even say anything."

meh....he quit. he said he wanted out. he shut them off and whined about getting tagged. it was obvious he quit and wanted to leave. they gave him what he wanted, a year late imo.

and then he turned into a weasel. he couldn't even own up to the fact that when the let him walk, they were just giving him and that lame ass agent of his what he had been bitching for. he had to make it sound like he was open to coming back, but we all know the deal. he quit on his team and wasn't man enough to own it.

#281 MCC

MCC

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:57 PM

OP, man, I follow athletes and enjoy sports as much as the next guy,

but you're like worshipping the dude. Do you realize how weird it is for a grown man (I assume) to be devoting so much time and effort to defending another grown man on a random message board?

#282 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

We dominated time of possession though!

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,607 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:05 PM

meh....he quit. he said he wanted out. he shut them off and whined about getting tagged. it was obvious he quit and wanted to leave. they gave him what he wanted, a year late imo.

and then he turned into a weasel. he couldn't even own up to the fact that when the let him walk, they were just giving him and that lame ass agent of his what he had been bitching for. he had to make it sound like he was open to coming back, but we all know the deal. he quit on his team and wasn't man enough to own it.

"i just wanted to stay a panther so bad. that's why i held out until training camp to sign my tender and demanded a trade"

e: peppers turned down $14 million/year to stay a panther

http://espn.go.com/b...-run-at-peppers

#283 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Baptized In The Blood Of Saints

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,283 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:18 PM

Can we hit 20 pages on the topic of the most anti climatic career in franchise history?

#284 PredatorPeppers

PredatorPeppers

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:19 PM

"i just wanted to stay a panther so bad. that's why i held out until training camp to sign my tender and demanded a trade"

e: peppers turned down $14 million/year to stay a panther

http://espn.go.com/b...-run-at-peppers

They made a last ditch effort, by then it was too late. Regardless, whether Peppers wanted to stay or not really doesn't matter, maybe he felt it was time to move on, maybe he didn't like the fans and media in Carolina talking garbage about him, etc.

http://articles.chic...l-carey-chicago

"I think back in Charlotte, I had been there so long that everybody got used to me. I mean, I got attention there and all that. But out here in Chicago, it feels a lot more genuine.''
Peppers' words and body language imply that his desire to bolt Charlotte wasn't all about leaving Carolina PanthersPosted Image blue behind for the green in Chicago.
"Truth be told, that's really one of the small reasons that I wanted to get out; because everybody knows your business in Charlotte,'' he says. "I wanted to try something different because out here in Chicago, Jordan was here. Pippen was here. They've got Urlacher. They've got hockey. They've got the baseballPosted Image. In Charlotte, it was all about the Panthers.''
Peppers pauses then finishes the thought.
"I live on a small town on the lake, and I mean people would get on their jet skis and just post up in front of my crib, trying to see who was there in my house.''
Peppers' initial impression of his new home is that it mirrors Toronto and New York, his favorite getaways. Here in Chicago, he believes he can live in obscurity.

#285 Qu1million

Qu1million

CantBeatMeInMadden!

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,094 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:22 PM

I used to love the guy and I won't take his game play away, he was great but the way he left really changed my perspective...I still have his jersey and haven't worn it since the off season before he was franchised. I just have that mixed feeling about him, I do think its time to put that jersey to use, RAG bytches

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com