Photo
* * - - - 5 votes

Is Julius Peppers the greatest player in Panthers history?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
482 replies to this topic

#31 Salvo

Salvo

BEWB

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:54 PM

I don't miss him.

He played some great years for us, yes...but he's heading towards the twilight of his career. He can still play but for what he wanted, Carolina wasn't going to work for him anymore.

I'm perfectly happy with the CJ/Kraken/Alexander rotation we have now.

#32 Boner Champ

Boner Champ

Future Training Camp MVP

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,282 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:58 PM

The fish are biting on this obvious troll thread!

#33 PredatorPeppers

PredatorPeppers

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:59 PM

Julius Peppers was a lazy bitch. Beason called his ass out on it.

Thats a load of BS there bud. The media in Carolina made that crap up about Peppers and some of the stupid fans bought that crap up, I think that is a major reason Peppers left, because he didn't feel appreciated in Carolina.

http://www.catscratchreader.com/2008/4/5/224349/7282

Seriously, we do know that Peppers had an undisclosed illness during training camp that caused him to miss some time. One rumor was that the medication he was taking made him lethargic and affected his aggressiveness. We still don’t know for sure what the illness was which I find a little strange.

http://espn.go.com/b...h-peppers-motor

"He had it [the reputation] coming out of college," Trgovac said Tuesday at Super Bowl media day. "I always attribute it to [the fact] he's so smooth and natural. I was his position coach his rookie year, and he was rookie of the year by the way, and he only played 12 games. I did every [college] game on him because we had just been hired there in Carolina and Houston already said they were going to take quarterback David Carr, so we had to choose between Julius and Joey Harrington.

"People always talked about him taking plays off and doing this, but he's just so smooth and natural that he does things so easy that people think he's being lazy. But Julius plays hard. That reputation has always followed him, and maybe will always follow him for his whole career. I don't know, I hope not, because he is a really good guy. He commands a lot of attention. What was really impressive for us [in Carolina] was his work ethic in practice. He busts his butt in practice and I don't think the kid ever got enough credit for that."

http://articles.chic...eppers-john-fox

In Charlotte, N.C., they still talk about the back-to-back plays Julius Peppers made in a game in Denver in 2004.
On third-and-3, he pushed Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer out of bounds on a bootleg after a 2-yard gain. Then on fourth-and-1, he intercepted Plummer's pass and ran it back 97 yards.

That is how Peppers will be remembered by John Fox, the only NFL head coach Peppers has known.
"Pep's a heck of a player," Fox said Monday. "I knew he'd be a guy who would be one of the first to get signed. He hasn't had any injuries. He's clean as a whistle medically. I know he's 30, but he looks just like he did when he was 22."
Fox dispelled the notion that the Bears' new defensive end takes a lot of plays off. He said effort was not a problem for Peppers.
"He trains and works hard," Fox said. "He's a great kid. He's quiet, but he leads by example."

http://sports.yahoo....persbears011411

Chicago Bears coach Lovie Smith and defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli approached the offseason evaluation of defensive end Julius Peppers with caution.
The second overall pick in the 2002 NFL draft, Peppers was a five-time Pro Bowl selection who had racked up 25 sacks in the previous two seasons, yet, during the 2010 offseason, he was an unrestricted free agent.

“We did a lot of homework on him,” Smith said, “and everything came back the same.”
Despite his immense NFL success – 81 sacks in his first eight seasons – Peppers was dogged by questions that he wasn’t consistent and that he didn’t fulfill his potential. So Smith wanted to be comfortable that Peppers was going to be a cornerstone defender and not a free-agent disaster.
Smith sought the input of numerous people he trusted, including his friend Ron Meeks, the Carolina Panthers’ defensive coordinator in 2009 and 2010.
“ ‘One of the best guys you will have a chance to coach,’ ” Smith recalled one person telling him. “Everything was positive.”
Peppers was an exception, so the Bears made an exception.

http://espn.go.com/b...his-fresh-start

Now that he’s accomplished the change, Peppers wants to finally silence the critics. One NFL coach who worked with Peppers in Carolina, held the same beliefs about a perceived lack of effort from the defensive end.
“When we were evaluating before we got him, I thought that too. Then one of our coaches gave me tape from the [2002] combine,” the coach said. “He said watch this one first; then watch Julius. I watched the first guy, he’s straining through this drill, grunting, making all kinds of faces. Right after that, Peppers comes up and goes through the same drill [the coach imitates an effortless run]. Smooth. You look at your watch, and Peppers just smoked the time [of the player in the first drill]. He just makes it look so easy sometimes it looks like he’s not trying.”

Peppers laughed at the story, before agreeing and adding his spin.
“You know, I think sometimes certain players – and I don’t name names – but certain players have a certain haircut, they have certain sack celebrations. They draw a lot of attention to themselves. That stuff can make it seem like you’re playing hard when really, you’re playing [about the same] as everybody else,” Peppers said. “You’re just bringing that extra attention to yourself. Just because I go about it mild mannered and I don’t do all of that stuff, maybe that’s something to talk about, too. If you hear [the criticism] from a coach that’s a different story. But I have yet to hear that from a coach. People who say it and watch the game don’t really understand my responsibilities on certain plays. If my play is not to run and chase the ball, if my play is to stay backside, then I’ve got to stay backside. I’ve got to be disciplined. I can’t run across the field and chase stuff that’s not mine. I can’t help that stuff comes easy sometimes; easier than somebody else. So I deal with it and hopefully, after this year, people won’t say that anymore.”
Still, critics will justifiably question whether the Bears paid too much for a player who could be entering the crossroads of his career. There’s also the legitimate concern that Peppers -- now that he’s received the big paycheck (he’ll make $40.5 million in the first three years) -- won't be motivated to play hard.
“That’s not my moral fiber, my character,” Peppers said. “I’m not above criticism. I can [take that] constructive[ly]; not saying that I believe it’s true. But if that’s something I have a chance to prove people wrong about, then I welcome that criticism. There’s pressure to perform. Being rewarded by this organization in that way only makes me want to play harder and repay them for what they did for me.”

#34 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 13,952 posts
  • Location704

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

Yeah it stung a little bit when he left b/c he was my favorite player (being a tarheel helped his cause with me lol) but it's whatever now man. Happy with CJ/GH/FA.

Also - I think Julius Peppers is in a very rare club. He's one of the only athletes in history to start a Final Four game and a Super Bowl.

#35 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 8,820 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

if 2007 didn't exist, then yes.

#36 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 13,952 posts
  • Location704

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:01 PM

Thats a load of BS there bud. The media in Carolina made that crap up about Peppers and some of the stupid fans bought that crap up, I think that is a major reason Peppers left, because he didn't feel appreciated in Carolina.

http://www.catscratchreader.com/2008/4/5/224349/7282

Seriously, we do know that Peppers had an undisclosed illness during training camp that caused him to miss some time. One rumor was that the medication he was taking made him lethargic and affected his aggressiveness. We still don’t know for sure what the illness was which I find a little strange.

http://espn.go.com/b...h-peppers-motor

"He had it [the reputation] coming out of college," Trgovac said Tuesday at Super Bowl media day. "I always attribute it to [the fact] he's so smooth and natural. I was his position coach his rookie year, and he was rookie of the year by the way, and he only played 12 games. I did every [college] game on him because we had just been hired there in Carolina and Houston already said they were going to take quarterback David Carr, so we had to choose between Julius and Joey Harrington.

"People always talked about him taking plays off and doing this, but he's just so smooth and natural that he does things so easy that people think he's being lazy. But Julius plays hard. That reputation has always followed him, and maybe will always follow him for his whole career. I don't know, I hope not, because he is a really good guy. He commands a lot of attention. What was really impressive for us [in Carolina] was his work ethic in practice. He busts his butt in practice and I don't think the kid ever got enough credit for that."

http://articles.chic...eppers-john-fox

In Charlotte, N.C., they still talk about the back-to-back plays Julius Peppers made in a game in Denver in 2004.
On third-and-3, he pushed Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer out of bounds on a bootleg after a 2-yard gain. Then on fourth-and-1, he intercepted Plummer's pass and ran it back 97 yards.

That is how Peppers will be remembered by John Fox, the only NFL head coach Peppers has known.
"Pep's a heck of a player," Fox said Monday. "I knew he'd be a guy who would be one of the first to get signed. He hasn't had any injuries. He's clean as a whistle medically. I know he's 30, but he looks just like he did when he was 22."
Fox dispelled the notion that the Bears' new defensive end takes a lot of plays off. He said effort was not a problem for Peppers.
"He trains and works hard," Fox said. "He's a great kid. He's quiet, but he leads by example."

http://sports.yahoo....persbears011411

Chicago Bears coach Lovie Smith and defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli approached the offseason evaluation of defensive end Julius Peppers with caution.
The second overall pick in the 2002 NFL draft, Peppers was a five-time Pro Bowl selection who had racked up 25 sacks in the previous two seasons, yet, during the 2010 offseason, he was an unrestricted free agent.

“We did a lot of homework on him,” Smith said, “and everything came back the same.”
Despite his immense NFL success – 81 sacks in his first eight seasons – Peppers was dogged by questions that he wasn’t consistent and that he didn’t fulfill his potential. So Smith wanted to be comfortable that Peppers was going to be a cornerstone defender and not a free-agent disaster.
Smith sought the input of numerous people he trusted, including his friend Ron Meeks, the Carolina Panthers’ defensive coordinator in 2009 and 2010.
“ ‘One of the best guys you will have a chance to coach,’ ” Smith recalled one person telling him. “Everything was positive.”
Peppers was an exception, so the Bears made an exception.

http://espn.go.com/b...his-fresh-start

Now that he’s accomplished the change, Peppers wants to finally silence the critics. One NFL coach who worked with Peppers in Carolina, held the same beliefs about a perceived lack of effort from the defensive end.
“When we were evaluating before we got him, I thought that too. Then one of our coaches gave me tape from the [2002] combine,” the coach said. “He said watch this one first; then watch Julius. I watched the first guy, he’s straining through this drill, grunting, making all kinds of faces. Right after that, Peppers comes up and goes through the same drill [the coach imitates an effortless run]. Smooth. You look at your watch, and Peppers just smoked the time [of the player in the first drill]. He just makes it look so easy sometimes it looks like he’s not trying.”

Peppers laughed at the story, before agreeing and adding his spin.
“You know, I think sometimes certain players – and I don’t name names – but certain players have a certain haircut, they have certain sack celebrations. They draw a lot of attention to themselves. That stuff can make it seem like you’re playing hard when really, you’re playing [about the same] as everybody else,” Peppers said. “You’re just bringing that extra attention to yourself. Just because I go about it mild mannered and I don’t do all of that stuff, maybe that’s something to talk about, too. If you hear [the criticism] from a coach that’s a different story. But I have yet to hear that from a coach. People who say it and watch the game don’t really understand my responsibilities on certain plays. If my play is not to run and chase the ball, if my play is to stay backside, then I’ve got to stay backside. I’ve got to be disciplined. I can’t run across the field and chase stuff that’s not mine. I can’t help that stuff comes easy sometimes; easier than somebody else. So I deal with it and hopefully, after this year, people won’t say that anymore.”
Still, critics will justifiably question whether the Bears paid too much for a player who could be entering the crossroads of his career. There’s also the legitimate concern that Peppers -- now that he’s received the big paycheck (he’ll make $40.5 million in the first three years) -- won't be motivated to play hard.
“That’s not my moral fiber, my character,” Peppers said. “I’m not above criticism. I can [take that] constructive[ly]; not saying that I believe it’s true. But if that’s something I have a chance to prove people wrong about, then I welcome that criticism. There’s pressure to perform. Being rewarded by this organization in that way only makes me want to play harder and repay them for what they did for me.”

Uh, I was listening to WFNZ the day Beason was in studio and remember him calling Peppers out. I distinctly remember it.

#37 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 13,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:02 PM

Julius Peppers' boyfriend is posting.

#38 PredatorPeppers

PredatorPeppers

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

http://articles.chic...l-carey-chicago

But along with the optimism expressed by the fans is the trepidation voiced by skeptics in regard to Peppers' work ethic. It is a label he says dates to his college days, when a coach questioned his desire before the 2002 draft. Peppers still ended up with the Panthers as the No. 2 overall selection.
Many wondered if there was validity to the coach's claim when two-time Pro Bowl linebacker Jon Beason, Peppers' former teammate in Carolina, went on a Charlotte radio station last season and said he would confront Peppers about playing with more intensity.
"Beason … he knew he was wrong for that,'' Peppers says, his tone raised a notch. "I didn't even have to respond to that because as soon as he left the radio station, he came over and apologized.
"People that really know me know how I work. You never heard one of my coaches or (other) teammates say anything about my work ethic. And that Beason thing kind of got taken out of context.''
Regardless, Peppers knows he has to produce immediate results. He comes to Chicago with 81 career sacks, an average of 10.1 per season, to go with 48 tackles per year. He doesn't want to put a number on sacks this season, although he agrees 10 or more seems reasonable.
"A lot of people don't really understand that a statistic is an indicator, but it doesn't really give the full picture of the body of work,'' he says. "There's been time when I've had one sack or no sacks and controlled a whole game, and I've seen other cats get three or four sacks and it had no effect on that game.
"My approach is going to be all about winning games. All the rest of that stuff will take care of itself.''
Peppers says if he plays up to his potential, the Bears should make the playoffs. He continues to view himself as another valuable piece rather than the savior, regardless of the hero's welcome he received during his first full week in Chicago.
"The Bears are a little bit more established on the defensive side than in Carolina,'' he says, "and plus, I believe in Jay Cutler. … I see the potential. There's no doubt in my mind that we're going to turn this thing around.''
And Peppers has no doubt that he'll silence his critics.
"If you want to keep saying things, go ahead,'' he says. "I actually want people to keep saying that I take plays off because it's going to keep me on my toes. It's only going to fuel my fire even more.''

http://bleacherrepor...ons-knee-injury

Jon Beason apologized Thursday for calling
out Carolina teammate Julius Peppers for his lack of production
last week, even after the Panthers responded with their first
win.
“After what happened, I realized I was wrong,” Beason said on
radio station WFNZ. “There are certain things you shouldn’t say
in public, certain things that should remain in-house. That’s
where I made my mistake.”

#39 h0llywood

h0llywood

I HATE LUKE KUECHLY!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • LocationPasadena, CA

Steve Smith is great, but he may or may not be a HOFer, Peppers on the other hand will be a first ballot HOFer when he retires. Peppers is also the greatest defensive player of his generation along with Ray Lewis.

If Kevin Greene who has 49 more sacks than Peppers isn't in the HOF, how do you figure Peppers will be a first ballot? Peppers top sack season was 14.5. Greene equalled or bested 14.5 5 times.

#40 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,937 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:03 PM

it's a shame i met my quota.

#41 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 14,892 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:04 PM

1. Smitty
2. Peppers

#42 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 13,952 posts
  • Location704

Beason was right on the money with Peppers. How long did it take for Peppers to "earn" a captain's spot? He isn't a leader, he's just a guy with a once in a lifetime athletic ability.

#43 SmashNDash

SmashNDash

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

I remember quite a few Vick vs Peppers game, as he was really our only chance of stopping him before Thomas Davis. One memory that sticks out in particular was 2004 I think, when Peppers literally grabbed the ball out of Vick's hand and went for a TD.

However, I wouldn't say he was the greatest player ever. He took too many plays off, and disappeared at times, not to mention his attitude when he left. I'd take Smith over him anyway as all time Panther.

#44 Catweisers

Catweisers

Catweisers

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

He ranks right up there with Kerry Collins in my book!!!!

#45 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 13,952 posts
  • Location704

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:05 PM

1. Smitty
2. Peppers

I'd put Delhomme over Peppers if we are doing an all time list.

However, if we were to make a list on stats and stats alone Peppers is near the top.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.