81 replies to this topic

#46 Brooklyn Bully

Brooklyn Bully

Sell it, Jerry

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:09 PM

Glad we didn't. What a waste of a great talent that would've been. Trade bait? Um ... no. More like life-long bencher. Glad he got a shot and showed people what he can do. I used to think he was too small. Glad I was wrong. He's fun to watch.

#47 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

We dominated time of possession though!

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,607 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:12 PM

forgive me for believing that there isn't a team in the league that would declare an "open competition" between a mid-round rookie and a guy who had just come off a rookie year where he generated 4700 yards and 35 touchdowns.

seattle certainly wouldn't have done it. the reason that things played out the way they did was because the seahawks didn't have much going on at quarterback at the time. jackson had been underwhelming and was traded in the preseason, flynn had two career starts and was brought in on a "show me" contract, and wilson was a rookie. it was a totally different set of circumstances.

the idea that the seahawks (or any team) would have benched a 2nd-year cam for a 3rd round rookie in wilson is as insane as someone arguing that they'd bring in a rookie that might threaten wilson this year.

#48 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 14,068 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:15 PM

Never said it would have been, just took exception to all the huggers saying no way Wilson would have had a chance here.

At least Carroll, after having spent a boat load of cash on a FA QB, had a "best guy wins the job" competition. Most huggers here would never allow such. I don't put any guy over the team.

Yeah let's have a "best guy wins the job" competition between Cam, Derek, and Jimmy lol what a sight to see.

Just stop it already, I'm beginning to pity you.

#49 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,607 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:16 PM

Oh here we go with the "huggers" commentary. Grow up.

there's no reasonable circumstance where a team would declare an "open competition" between a 2nd year player who had just broken a bunch of records and a rookie. it's not even a commentary on how good wilson is or whether he'd actually beat cam out. he wouldn't get the chance on any one of the 32 teams in the league.

#50 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,607 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:17 PM

Yeah let's have a "best guy wins the job" competition between Cam, Derek, and Jimmy lol what a sight to see.

Just stop it already, I'm beginning to pity you.

someone refresh my memory:

was stirs one of the people crying about a "sham competition" between cam, derek, and jimmy jam in 2011?

#51 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 14,068 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:19 PM

forgive me for believing that there isn't a team in the league that would declare an "open competition" between a mid-round rookie and a guy who had just come off a rookie year where he generated 4700 yards and 35 touchdowns.

seattle certainly wouldn't have done it. the reason that things played out the way they did was because the seahawks didn't have much going on at quarterback at the time. jackson had been underwhelming and was traded in the preseason, flynn had two career starts and was brought in on a "show me" contract, and wilson was a rookie. it was a totally different set of circumstances.

the idea that the seahawks (or any team) would have benched a 2nd-year cam for a 3rd round rookie in wilson is as insane as someone arguing that they'd bring in a rookie that might threaten wilson this year.

Yeah and let's be fair here, they were desperate and way overpaid for Flynn as a shot in the dark that backfired.

It's like us when all we had was Clausen. Anything to stop the bleeding.

#52 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 11,282 posts

someone refresh my memory:

was stirs one of the people crying about a "sham competition" between cam, derek, and jimmy jam in 2011?

Yeah, why don't you guys go look that up. Haha.

You tell em coach.

#53 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,607 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

newton was also asked to attempt 120 more passes than wilson did as a rookie. i doubt wilson's rookie campaign would have looked quite the same if he was a panther.

#54 BBQ&Beer

BBQ&Beer

The good actor

• HUDDLER
  • 3,965 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

Never said it would have been, just took exception to all the huggers saying no way Wilson would have had a chance here.

At least Carroll, after having spent a boat load of cash on a FA QB, had a "best guy wins the job" competition. Most huggers here would never allow such. I don't put any guy over the team.

Actually, you assumed that Wilson would've been a playoff winning QB here or that Can wouldn't have been in Seattle.

Homerism or Camerism if blatant.

No brainer that we would sit a playoff QB on the bench with NO chance to get on the field. Says a lot about us, huh.

Your evidence that we would've gone to the playoffs with Wilson is... What?

#55 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,607 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

Yeah, why don't you guys go look that up. Haha.

You tell em coach.

you sure showed me hyuck

so stirs which rookie do you think we should bench luke kuechly for

#56 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,607 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:23 PM

Actually, you assumed that Wilson would've been a playoff winning QB here or that Can wouldn't have been in Seattle.

it's bewildering to me that there are so many people on this board who seemingly don't get the team aspect of football

i mean yeah, wilson is a "playoff winning QB" based on last season's events. let's drop him on the browns, chiefs, raiders, or jaguars and watch him take them to the playoffs then, right?

#57 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 14,068 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:23 PM

Oh and while we're clinging to hypotheticals like stirs, let's contemplate this.

Give Russell Wilson the Panthers defense and special teams of 2011 in his rookie campaign. Results?

#58 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 11,282 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:28 PM

Caliber. Playoff caliber QB. Sorry to go so fast as to ruffle your feathers. The whole question started with Wilson being picked here. Easy question, but blasphemous to some, is how he would fare here with Cam.

Guess the Panthers should always go with what they have, especially since we have put back to back to back,etc losing seasons together. We would not need competition here, by all means, we are set. Hoping Gettleman never beleives that competition is a bad thing.

The rest of these guys will feel different after graduating from hi school where they don't have to rely on their allowance to buy their jerseys. Once they get older and get a job, they can afford another one and be more of a Panther fan.

#59 Mike

Mike

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:30 PM

I think our situation is different to the Seahawks. They brought in a QB that put in one great performance, and had never won a battle to become a starting QB in the NFL or college (he was given the role in his fifth year after JaMarcus Russell Left, and at the Raiders he's all but been given the job). But we had a QB that broke records as a rookie. I don't know why any team would have a legit 'best guy wins the job' competition when you have a record breaking rookie ex-number #1 pick on the roster. I can see why the Seahawks had it when Flynn is unproven as a starter, but with us Cam is set as our starter for years to come.

That said I do agree with you that no one guy is more important than the team, but Cam isn't the problem imo, he just needs more help.

#60 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,607 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:30 PM

i agree, we should trade cam for a "playoff caliber qb" because what we're doing right now clearly isn't working.

2 firsts + cam for rex grossman. who's with me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com