Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Football Outsiders' State of the Panther's.

51 posts in this topic

Posted

I don't buy that our secondary is that bad. I am a big fan of JT and James Dockery played ok for us. Captain is a player is the slot. Norman doesnt need a jersey, Godfrey really is JAG, but you have to have a couple starters that are JAG, I am ok with Godfrey being one. I would really like to see us make upgrades in the draft to WR, NT, and SS. While we may not have big name corners, I do feel like Josh Thomas can start and Dockery could have a chance to be something serviceable. I feel like if you can get by with serviceable players, it is at corner, guard, and NT.

Posted

Thomas and Dockery could prove to be solid starters at corner but we only got to see that duo play at the end of the year. Same thing could be said about Campbell at safety. How they'll play this upcoming season is mystery.

Posted

really can't disagree with much of that. I think Cam could be considered a star, but I understand the argument against it.. He can put that all to rest next season.

Posted

The guy is spot on w/his analysis. The writer sees what Gettleman has already seen.

Posted

Shouldn't Cam Be a star? According to this color chart, he's just good... Wtf.

Posted

I agree with the defense analysis for the most part. Injuries hurt us too though. I disagree with most of the offense analysis because imo our rb problems will be solved this year which will lead to Cam's improving by leaps & bounds. The rb problem is now the hc in Cleveland.

Posted

Excellent piece. I thought this little tidbit was interesting....

"Like they were, for example, in 2011, when they had the second-best run offense DVOA in the past 20 years."

Posted

Shouldn't Cam Be a star? According to this color chart, he's just good... Wtf.

Not yet.

He is being graded on his individual stats and unlimited ceiling. As a QB, you have to take the team to the next level to be in that category....even though it is probably not fair becuase of all the moving pieces that contribute to that.

Guy takes us to the playoffs a couple of seasons and he will quickly be put into that category......which is something that I think he does VERY soon.

I expect to see big time improvement in Cam this season. The game really looked to slow down for him at the end of last season and he is learning that he does not have to put everything on his shoulders. He is becoming not only a very talented player but a definite leader on this team.

Posted

Cam can throw for 4,400+ yards and 26 touchdowns and he'll still be blamed for the team's issues.

Exactly, LOL

Posted

Guy takes us to the playoffs a couple of seasons and he will quickly be put into that category......which is something that I think he does VERY soon.

Fieri? Ritchie?

Posted

I didn't think that segment blamed it on him. What I actually thought they meant is that they put too much on his shoulders.

I agree, just like Jake would do in his days. Jake is no Cam, but the point being any QB that puts the whole game on his shoulders will make mistakes and can lose the game or games because of it. Lets hope that Shula runs the ball more (more 50/50 split) and the Oline is helathy enough to open some holes for these dynamic runners we have to help pull some pressure off of Cam.

Posted

I'm fine with cam being considered 'only' a good starter already in his second season. There's still things he has to do better, but the fact that we have to remind ourselves of that is pretty amazing in itself. If you look at the rest of his quarterback class, Locker, gabbert, and Ponder aren't promised starting jobs right now, and people have serious questions about dalton already. which is what you normally get out of a second year guy. the panthers have had a good one since game one.