Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TNPanther

Some of you guys take Charlotte for granted

That there be fighting words!

i reserve the right to diss it since i lived there (and extensively throughout the region.) great football team though :)

i reserve the right to diss it since i lived there (and extensively throughout the region.) great football team though :)

Nah your pretty much right. WV is a hard place to live in if you are not from there. No culture activities except a few and the range of entertainment is limited.

had some buddies i knew in high school that went into the military right after high school. without fail each one when they came back said the Charlotte/Rock Hill area was a green as any place they have seen

Are you talking about vegetation?

The green in Charlotte doesn't last long enough. It gets burned out in the summer and stays grey all winter.

....this coming from a guy whose last two duty stations were in Germany and Washington State. Returning to Germany from Iraq will give you green overload. So much green its nauseating. And Washington is the Evergreen State.

Your opinion is based off personal experiences. Charlotte is a great atmosphere for business. But entertainment and culture? Mmmmm not so much.

Yes there are things to do. But once you come to the realization of small things - for example, a single day ticket to Carowinds costs more than a single day ticket to the Magic Kingdom- you start thinking "really, Charlotte? Really?"

It just depends how you personally look at things.

fug the fuggity fug out of that. at least TN has nashville... i lived in morgantown, the cultural center of WV, for a year or so as a kid and even then i knew it sucked hard ass. i'd take just about any part of TN over it in a heartbeat

You need to visit Tamarac in WV. They have a cafeteria.

Much like college, where you live and what you get out of it is usually all up to the individual.

Deep thoughts by Jack Handey

Are you talking about vegetation?

The green in Charlotte doesn't last long enough. It gets burned out in the summer and stays grey all winter.

....this coming from a guy whose last two duty stations were in Germany and Washington State. Returning to Germany from Iraq will give you green overload. So much green its nauseating. And Washington is the Evergreen State.

Your opinion is based off personal experiences. Charlotte is a great atmosphere for business. But entertainment and culture? Mmmmm not so much.

Yes there are things to do. But once you come to the realization of small things - for example, a single day ticket to Carowinds costs more than a single day ticket to the Magic Kingdom- you start thinking "really, Charlotte? Really?"

It just depends how you personally look at things.

Charlotte wasn't built in a day Belding.....

I have been here since 1990 living in CLT and Davidson.

Davidson was a one stoplight town and you had to drive to cornelius to buy cigarettes or mooresville to watch a movie.

Downtown charlotte shutdown at 5:00 on Fridays and nobody lived there

The people who hate on Charlotte are typically:

1. Jealous Triangle residents trying to pretend Raleigh has 10% of Charlotte's swag, and

2. Brooklyn Bully

Charlotte is a very clean beautiful city. It does lack the typical variety of culture you get in most big cities.

I was born here in 1981 and my god it's changed so much.

note: Charlotte isn't green in the summer? Are you kidding?

I have been here since 1990 living in CLT and Davidson.

Davidson was a one stoplight town and you had to drive to cornelius to buy cigarettes or mooresville to watch a movie.

Downtown charlotte shutdown at 5:00 on Fridays and nobody lived there

I've been in Charlotte since 1970. The city has progressed by leaps and bounds since then, and especially in the last 20 years. I remember when the Final Four was here and they put up all these temporary bars in downtown. I think there was one "real" bar Atlantic Seafood Co or something like that?

I've lived in Greensboro and Raleigh too and while Raleigh is pretty nice its not close to Charlotte. Greensboro, well, its a place lol.

As far as the comparisons to Seattle no, Charlotte is not a city with a metro of 4 million.

I love my Washington D.C. and in a lot of ways I think it has Charlotte beat...

Skylines:

Charlotte_Skyline_2011_-_Ricky_W.jpg

skyline-2.jpg

Nightlife strip:

Phoenix_Uptown_Charlotte_street_view.jpg

adams-morgan-at-night.jpg

College campuses:

66717_10152694318885231_592094500_n.jpg

campusaerial_1gallery.jpg

Stadiums:

bank-of-america-stadium-630x286.jpgNationalsPark-WashingtonDC-ExteriorNightView.jpg

Neighborhoods near downtown (or Uptown, in Charlotte):

3508168262_9952a722fe_m.jpg

xkCVOU2E4_wg4wBd.jpg

But there are definitely some things that I could live without:

Bikers everywhere who think they own the road:

biking-to-work-in-San-Francisco.jpg

Beltway Traffic:

WashingtonTraffic.jpg

Tourists:

094527_551.jpg

(I poo you not)

Panhandlers

Tourists

Crime

Rent (I'm paying $1600 for half of a 2 bed 2 bath)

Trying to find street parking on Friday or Saturday night.

Tourists

Gas ($4.50+ a gallon in D.C. proper)

TOURISTS!

And occasionally being halted for 15+ minutes as the roads are cleared for the president to plow through.

Not to mention a 1 Bed 1 Bath condo here will cost you $300-$400,000. What do apartments/Houses cost in Charlotte? I'm thinking when I'm ready to settle down with a wife and family I'd like to move somewhere that still has a big city aura, but doesn't come with a lot of the drawbacks of dense urban sprawl. Charlotte might be just be the place.