104 replies to this topic

#61 Monday Night Shyamalan

Monday Night Shyamalan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • LocationHollyweird, CA

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:58 AM

Actually Austin isnt a Smitty clone. Austin will be better than Smitty.

WTF ... pump the brakes, how about Austin takes an NFL snap first (or even lasts a whole season) before we start throwing out Smitty comparisons.

#62 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,526 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:28 PM

Tavon better than Smitty??? LMMMAOOOO!!

#63 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,630 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:31 PM

Seems to be a better fit for a Tom Brady than Cam Newton....

Austin needs quick throws that give him the about to use his talents on screens, quick hitters, etc. Not Newton's game....Hopkins fits better IMO

Based on what we have seen in the past I would agree but having said that I have know idea how Shula will see it.

#64 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 10,241 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:35 PM

Posted Image

#65 Miiikey

Miiikey

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationSun Diego

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:49 PM

If he's sitting there at #13 come draft night, and Bucs pick him up, my TV is gonna get hulk smashed. I'm too excited for Tavon to miss out that close.

#66 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,745 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:56 PM

I have to disagree - the NFL is a completely different monster. Plus if history proves correct, small framed WR's have durability issues at the next level. Like someone else mentioned, successful WR's under 5'10 are the exception, not the norm. We can't afford to miss with our 1st pick.

It's not that I don't like Austin (I think he is the most explosive player in the draft), but he doesn't fit into our current needs. We have a a 3-headed rushing attack, Cam, Smitty, now Ginn, who all fill the void Austin would fill. I would rather have a durable, able-bodied, big WR target who can hopefully be our future #1.

Can't argue with you there (about desiring a big-bodied guy), but I don't know that history really proves that small-framed receivers have durability issues in the NFL because there is really nothing more than conjecture and/or an infinitesimally small sample (D-Jax) of small WRs that have been given a solid chance in the NFL. I tried to research it, and there is nothing. I can't say that small-framed WRs, especially one with lightning quickness and superior vision, is any more likely to be hurt than a big guy.

Edit: Now of course you have guys like Smitty, Welker and Amendola, but these guys are a little bigger and presumably stronger than Austin, and they have also proven to be tough. No they haven't been injury free, but who has? If Tavon Austin has a similar injury history to these guys, then I'll take it (though the jury is still out on Amendola). Some guys are just more predisposed to injury than others, even big ones (e.g. Brandon Jacobs, Jeff Otah),

#67 broseidon

broseidon

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationYour daughters dorm room

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:32 PM

I like him, but Gruden likes EVERYBODY.

Heck the guy even loved Jemh

Any Questions......

#68 Monday Night Shyamalan

Monday Night Shyamalan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • LocationHollyweird, CA

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:47 PM

Can't argue with you there (about desiring a big-bodied guy), but I don't know that history really proves that small-framed receivers have durability issues in the NFL because there is really nothing more than conjecture and/or an infinitesimally small sample (D-Jax) of small WRs that have been given a solid chance in the NFL. I tried to research it, and there is nothing. I can't say that small-framed WRs, especially one with lightning quickness and superior vision, is any more likely to be hurt than a big guy.

Edit: Now of course you have guys like Smitty, Welker and Amendola, but these guys are a little bigger and presumably stronger than Austin, and they have also proven to be tough. No they haven't been injury free, but who has? If Tavon Austin has a similar injury history to these guys, then I'll take it (though the jury is still out on Amendola). Some guys are just more predisposed to injury than others, even big ones (e.g. Brandon Jacobs, Jeff Otah),

I didn't research it either - I just feel after a lifetime of watching NFL football you rarely see the small WR's flourish in the long run (and most do turn out to be busts).

I agree with you on the Smitty, Welker comparison (not so sure if I would take an Amendola at #14). If Austin turns out to be similar in any way, by all means send him our way.

#69 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 17,069 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:14 PM

Not only is the jury out on Amendola but he surely has an injury history and is a perfect example of why not to draft Austin. He is 5 11 and 188 lbs and has started 9 games in the past 2 years. He has never started more than 8 games in a season in his career. They have tried to make him a number 1 receiver and he just can't handle the load. Guys like Sproles and Smitty are bigger and stouter than Allen. Sproles for example is 5'6" but 190 lbs. Smitty is 195 lbs. Neither are small or frail.

As for Tampa, they won't be picking Allen. They are either going to get Revis which will cost them their 1st rounder or they will be picking a corner or safety with their first rounder. Their secondary gave up more passing yards than any team in the league. If they go Allen and don't go defensive secondary, they will suck again this year as well.

#70 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,614 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:20 PM

What about Theisman winning a SB with the smurfs, as in two small guys. Austin plays a position Rivera wants. And just happens to be a playmaker and TD maker. Two things we need, in just one player. IF, Gettlelmen and Rivera believe he is that guy and take him. I will fall in line with the pick. But I just don't believe he is the 14th best athlete in the draft.

#71 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

We dominated time of possession though!

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,038 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:37 PM

guess we'll just have to trade back in to the first if we want austin:

So I have been pondering this question all week. Let's say Cam keeps regressing and the panthers drop the spread option and no improvement. We get the #1 pick this offseason do we take Geno smith or not. Cam will be entering his 3rd year of a 4 year contract next season. Do you take the risk they he will get better next year with no backup plan? Or do you take geno and let him learn a year and to see if cam improves?

#72 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

We dominated time of possession though!

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,038 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:41 PM

Poor man version that's classic. Geno will be a better qb in the nfl than Cam. You can quote me on that.

my pleasure

#73 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,159 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:05 PM

just a simplistic look at this idea of austin being small...i just threw his weight/height thru a bmi calculator and he's pretty average with others at the position.

he's not a twig. he's the right size for his height. his bmi is about 28, which is right about where megatron is.

he's not some little beanpole. he's just short. that doesn't mean tiny. that doesn't mean fragile. that doesn't mean breakable. that doesn't mean he's not durable.

#74 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,679 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:17 PM

just a simplistic look at this idea of austin being small...i just threw his weight/height thru a bmi calculator and he's pretty average with others at the position.

he's not a twig. he's the right size for his height. his bmi is about 28, which is right about where megatron is.

he's not some little beanpole. he's just short. that doesn't mean tiny. that doesn't mean fragile. that doesn't mean breakable. that doesn't mean he's not durable.

I know what you are saying, but for discussion sake do you think he could take a hit better from a 230 lb lineman than a 200-210 lb WR?

I just mean the weight differential has to mean something. From what I've seen of Tavon he would avoid most of these hits and is pretty good about getting all he can than getting out of bounds or putting himself in a position to not get hit hard.

#75 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,159 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:51 PM

I know what you are saying, but for discussion sake do you think he could take a hit better from a 230 lb lineman than a 200-210 lb WR?

I just mean the weight differential has to mean something. From what I've seen of Tavon he would avoid most of these hits and is pretty good about getting all he can than getting out of bounds or putting himself in a position to not get hit hard.

i think the difference would be nominal, tbh. it all depends on his conditioning. I've seen little guys who could take hellacious beatings and keep on and I've seen mountainous men fall at the littlest of hits. i just don't think his size is going to be much of a factor, at least in that regard. overall i just wouldn't be worried about it. i mean look at sproles. how injury prone has he been? any injuries he's had, were they because of his size?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com