Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pre Draft Presser with GM Dave Gettleman

39 posts in this topic

Posted

Ok beleve or not i still get confused, so can someone please clarify.. "Trading up" does that mean like if we are pick 14 and want to move into the top 5, is that "trading up" or "trading down" in the draft?

Moving to a higher pick is "trading up".

Posted

Ok beleve or not i still get confused, so can someone please clarify.. "Trading up" does that mean like if we are pick 14 and want to move into the top 5, is that "trading up" or "trading down" in the draft?

it gets confusing.

not going to make it worse.

he was saying that if you are sitting on 14 and you want to trade that for a later pick and pick up another later pick or two that you might be exchanging a dollar for three dimes or basically giving up a really talented player for 2-3 players who could be ok and you might lose out on someone special. better to get a great player who will be around and starting for a long time rather than a couple guys who might contribute a little bit for a couple years.

Posted

Im as confident as I have ever been. This man rules.

1 person likes this

Posted

I fully expect Norman and Alexander to be the two most improved guys on D.

agreed. i think that alexander will be starting in the next couple years. he'll be replacing CJ or hardy on the roster.

1 person likes this

Posted

Funny how people are still aspergers about trading down after clamoring for it the last two drafts and seeing the players we've ended up taking and how phenomenal they've been

Posted

I'm glad he emphasized losing close games as being a red herring that people irrationally latch on to. Winning close games is not a coaching ability, it's randomness, doesn't matter if you're Belichick or Singletary. You want to win a lot of games? Score a lot more often than the opponent, the end.

Posted

The man seems to know how to run a damn football team so far, and exudes confidence. He makes me want to have complete faith. However, I have learned my lessons with this team. I will support them 100% but I'm not calling anything higher than 8-8 until I see something. Something in particular.

SOME GOD DAMN RESULTS

2 people like this

Posted

Did he mention Alexander specifically or are you guys just making predictions? And what exactly was said about Norman? That he came back from the offseason a different man?

Mr. Scott, given the press conference what kind of draft implications can you infer after listening to what Gettlemen had to say?

And I agree with everyone. Gettlemen really seems to know what he is doing and if nothing else I like that he takes an active approach to scouting these guys. He's a talent evaluator and hopefully that shows in the near future through draft picks and free agents. Kinda wonder if he expects more from Colin Cole than we do considering he said there are no glaring holes.

Posted

He specifically mentioned Norman. The good and bad about him. He showed he does have confidence in him though. That's good enough for me. He mentioned the guys that were signed, he seems very confident about them too.

Posted

Great presser; I really enjoyed it. I am a huge Gettleman fan already and hopefully the draft just reinforces my trust in him as our GM.

Posted

Did he mention Alexander specifically or are you guys just making predictions? And what exactly was said about Norman? That he came back from the offseason a different man?

Mr. Scott, given the press conference what kind of draft implications can you infer after listening to what Gettlemen had to say?

And I agree with everyone. Gettlemen really seems to know what he is doing and if nothing else I like that he takes an active approach to scouting these guys. He's a talent evaluator and hopefully that shows in the near future through draft picks and free agents. Kinda wonder if he expects more from Colin Cole than we do considering he said there are no glaring holes.

Pretty sure all the Panther player names he mentioned were defensive backs. Off the top of my head, I remember mentions of Josh Norman, Drayton Florence, Captain Munnerlyn and D J Moore. If there were any other names mentioned, they've slipped my mind.

Implications: Don't expect a trade. Gettleman doesn't seem so inclined. Position? Gettleman thinks DT, DB and OL are deep - the first two, especially so - which might mean there won't be a sense of urgency to take those early, but that's pure speculation.

I believe the team will indeed be going BPA. Someone else suggested BPA minus QB or LB. I'd add RB to the list of "non-needs". NFl Network is actually speculating that no RBs will be taken in the first round at all for the first time in 50 years.

Right now, I covet Tavon Austin. I don't think he'll make it to our pick though :(

Posted

Needs to be mentioned, as if we didn't already know, that when Gettleman was asked if Richardson was involved in team affairs that Gettleman gave a laugh followed by a resounding yes.

"but at least he's not Jerry Jones!"