Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Let's get this Party Started. How do we Beat Seattle?

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#61 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,408 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:06 AM

I wanted Hugh Jackson, but this is who we got. And i'm not gonna pretend I know how he will do based on a job 10 years ago. That's the bottom line for me.

I'm going to save my optimism for a coaching staff that hasn't disappointed and only been able to succeed in making excuses, bad decisions, and leaning on the whole "rome wasn't built in a day" trite saying to justify their continuing to coach here.

i hope it works out, but until i see that they can coach to win the games, I'm not buying it. shula and the rest of the coaching staff have to prove they don't suck because until they can do that, that's all they've been able to show in their current roles.

I'm hoping for the best and I've got enough A1sauce to mask the flavor of crow if I'm wrong, but I'm not expecting that to be the case.

#62 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,474 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:12 AM

I'm going to save my optimism for a coaching staff that hasn't disappointed and only been able to succeed in making excuses, bad decisions, and leaning on the whole "rome wasn't built in a day" trite saying to justify their continuing to coach here.

i hope it works out, but until i see that they can coach to win the games, I'm not buying it. shula and the rest of the coaching staff have to prove they don't suck because until they can do that, that's all they've been able to show in their current roles.

I'm hoping for the best and I've got enough A1sauce to mask the flavor of crow if I'm wrong, but I'm not expecting that to be the case.

I completely understand this, but I just have to be optimistic.

#63 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,970 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:12 AM

How much practice has he had calling games since then and how did he do?

keep on a nippin....

I am just trying to find reasons why you logic is not sound.....gotta have optimism for the upcoming season.

I hope and pray that you are wrong....but, only time will tell.

#64 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,273 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:14 AM

How many of his games did you see?

I saw all of them.

You are cute with your Internet stats.

I've been watching old film from TDT, they played pretty much like the Vikings did this year under Ponder, too afraid to push the ball downfield because they didn't have hardly anyone who could get open. That defense was badass, though.

And that's not stats, look at the damn roster and tell me what Shula actually had to work with.

#65 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,273 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:17 AM

By the way, if the rumblings I've been hearing from org are true, it's not really going to matter that much, as Shula's primary plan is to give Cam much more free reign to run the offense, audibles, etc.

#66 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,408 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:17 AM

I completely understand this, but I just have to be optimistic.

i used to be. i feel good about the growing roster. i feel good about the GM. i think we're a coach away from being great. that's the limit of my optimism. I'm a victim of reality, tho. and the reality is that we are a losing franchise who values continuity above getting better.

no winning seasons in 5 years and only 4 ever has taken it's toll on me. I'm at the "show me you can win and I'll believe" stage.

#67 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,408 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:20 AM

By the way, if the rumblings I've been hearing from org are true, it's not really going to matter that much, as Shula's primary plan is to give Cam much more free reign to run the offense, audibles, etc.

the best chance for this offense to not suck with shula as the OC is for shula to stay out of the way and out of cam's ear while he's on the field. if this offense does well it will be in spite of shula and because of the strength and ability of cam and the other players on the field.

#68 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,885 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:41 AM

I wish we played Seattle later on in the year. Very big possibility they fall apart this year but it likely won't be happening week one.

Limited offense, strong defense. We really should win this game but I just don't like Rivera's preparational deficiencies and Shula's coaching deficiencies stacked against them.

#69 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,970 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:44 AM

the best chance for this offense to not suck with shula as the OC is for shula to stay out of the way and out of cam's ear while he's on the field. if this offense does well it will be in spite of shula and because of the strength and ability of cam and the other players on the field.

so you are more confident in a young QB who has no experience calling plays over the OC?

I want them to give Cam more freedom to check out of of plays at the LOS. But, he is nowhere near ready to have a lot of latitude in the play calling.

Ridiculous.

#70 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,273 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:47 AM

so you are more confident in a young QB who has no experience calling plays over the OC?

I want them to give Cam more freedom to check out of of plays at the LOS. But, he is nowhere near ready to have a lot of latitude in the play calling.

Ridiculous.

Not play-calling, just audibles.

#71 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,737 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:01 AM

I personally think that looking at what Shula did a decade ago and saying he will do more of the same is ignoring that people grow and change. Who would have hired Belicheck in new England if all they did was look at how he did in Cleveland? Shula did not have the experience he has now nor did he have a great playbook courtesy of Chud like he now does.

What experience does he have calling plays? From what I have read, Chud relayed plays into Shula who then relayed them to Cam. He was involved in every play call last year. Sure it was Chud calling the plays themselves but lets be honest. After being intimately involved in the process and working with Chud every day, you really think he didn't learn anything from it??

Shula was instrumental in working with Cam all last year and had quite a bit to do with him improving. Why do you think he would abandon that and revert back to what didn't work a decade ago?? Rivera is on the hotseat and honestly has a much better feel for who will be the best person for the job and chose Shula. Jackson and Shurmur wanted the job and were not picked because they didn't know the offense like Shula does. I really believe that not only will Shula do well this well but it will be better than Chud's offense which tried to be too cute and wow everyone with how smart he was. Shula wants to vindicate himself and will work very hard to get it right.

#72 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,737 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:05 AM

Yet by all accounts Shula being in Cam's ear and working with him every day was a big part in why Cam improved over the last half of the season. People are giving Shula no credit for being a big part of Newton's success yet everyone on the staff, Chud and Newton himself sing his praises and say they are very confident with him calling the signals. I don't know why people won't accept their word at face value. Sure you can say that people had to say that but they really don't. Rivera had other choices and most times when players don't agree with something they simply defer or say lets wait and see.

#73 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,970 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:24 AM

I can buy that.

I hope that what he has seen and absorbed (pre-snap reads of defenses) over the past 2 years has him ready for that. But, the only way to know is to give him a some flexibility and see what he does.

#74 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,408 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:28 AM

this. other than shula showing very little creativity in his past experiences, the problem was in the amount of time it took to get the play to the field. i would rather trust cam to make audibles on the field rather than waiting forever on shula to decide what he wants to do and having to burn out a time out or take a delay of game.

and i trust cam's instincts and playmaking and decision making more than shula. so what?

#75 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,408 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:29 AM

Yet by all accounts Shula being in Cam's ear and working with him every day was a big part in why Cam improved over the last half of the season. People are giving Shula no credit for being a big part of Newton's success yet everyone on the staff, Chud and Newton himself sing his praises and say they are very confident with him calling the signals. I don't know why people won't accept their word at face value. Sure you can say that people had to say that but they really don't. Rivera had other choices and most times when players don't agree with something they simply defer or say lets wait and see.

shula was in cam's ear on the sidelines...not on the field. i don't trust shula's playcalling and ability to make quick decisions.

and i take player's assessments of their own coaches and teammates with a grain of salt. i don't doubt cam and the others like shula. i don't doubt that they think he will do well, but they are working from a position of bias, just like everyone. I'm working from a position that i haven't seen success as a playcaller and OC from him. being good at being a QB coach and having your team believe in you doesn't make you a good OC. until i see results and see him bunk his history and track record,I'm not going to believe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com