Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Let's get this Party Started. How do we Beat Seattle?

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#121 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,171 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:23 AM

or maybe he just thinks that based on history that shula is a hack with a proven track record of failure as a playcaller and provides no reason for confidence other than the whole continuity and cam likes him thing (which does nothing to take away concerns that he's a bad playcaller/offense manager).

#122 PantherPhann89

PantherPhann89

CPP "Carolina Panther Phann"

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,378 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:35 AM

I know it sounds cliche to say score more points than them, but Gettleman could essentially create one of, if not the most dynamic offense's in the NFL if he decide's to go offense with the first two picks.

Picture this...

QB - Cam Newton
RB - DeAngelo Williams, Jonathan Stewart
FB - Mike Tolbert
WR 1 - Steve Smith, Domenik Hixon
WR 2 - Brandon LaFell, Teddy Ginn Jr.
Slot - Tavon Austin
TE - Greg Olsen, Gavin Escobar

That offense could put up 28 a game in my opinion...

I like it!

#123 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 19,475 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:40 AM

or maybe he just thinks that based on history that shula is a hack with a proven track record of failure as a playcaller and provides no reason for confidence other than the whole continuity and cam likes him thing (which does nothing to take away concerns that he's a bad playcaller/offense manager).

That entire belief and evaluation was based on a season over a decade ago.

Hey I heard Tavon sucked when he played peewee football. Better not draft him.

#124 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,171 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:18 PM

That entire belief and evaluation was based on a season over a decade ago.

Hey I heard Tavon sucked when he played peewee football. Better not draft him.

it's also including the time he sucked as a playcaller when he was coach at alabama.

tavon has had success there as a player. if he never proved to be better at his job, then i would have no problem drafting him.

the problem with shula since you aren't understanding it is as a playcaller....he's sucked when he had the job. there has been no success to go on. at all. only a track record of failure. not sure why that's so hard to understand why some would have a problem with it and aren't expecting great things.

i hope he'll be better. i'm not counting on it, tho. until he can prove that he doesn't suck as a play caller and doesn't take forever to get the play to the field, his history in that role is all there is to tangilby go on.

#125 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,527 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:19 PM

I just meant in general, not exclusive to this thread.

#126 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,171 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:28 PM

I just meant in general, not exclusive to this thread.

oh.

well, isn't it obvious? he's a troll. the huddle is his domain that he created for his trolling pleasure.

duh....

#127 The Golden Child

The Golden Child

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:51 PM

Russell Wilson's lovely lady

Posted Image

#128 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 17,050 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:01 PM

Sometimes I think Zod just stirs up controversy so that this website gets more hits=more money for him. Just a thought.

just figure that out? LOL

#129 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,527 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:25 PM

just figure that out? LOL

Nope just the first time ive posted it.

#130 Achilles

Achilles

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:19 AM

Don't forget about Marshawn Lynch. Plus now they have Percy Harvin. Seattle is a well coached team. With these two plus Wilson (if he is able to scramble and make good decisions) they are going to be difficult to beat. The NFL didn't do Pete Carroll any favors by sending he and his boys to play what would be like a 10 AM game to them in week 1. Plus jet lag traveling east. They came here last year and barely squeaked one out when our offense was at its worst. Should be a pretty even match considering...

I really feel like RR will have his guys ready to play week one this year. Its pretty clear that we needs a decent first month for him to keep his job for the long haul. Players (and fans) don't want that stinging feeling they had last year when we didn't show up vs. TBay and still only lost by 6 on the road. It was a disgusting loss and I feel like everyone will be on board with the plan to avoid such a fate this season.

I think we will give Seattle our best. Of all of the home games I see on the schedule, this is the one I'd most like to attend. Won't happen...but would like...

#131 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 17,050 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:20 AM

Don't forget about Marshawn Lynch. Plus now they have Percy Harvin. Seattle is a well coached team. With these two plus Wilson (if he is able to scramble and make good decisions) they are going to be difficult to beat. The NFL didn't do Pete Carroll any favors by sending he and his boys to play what would be like a 10 AM game to them in week 1. Plus jet lag traveling east. They came here last year and barely squeaked one out when our offense was at its worst. Should be a pretty even match considering...

I really feel like RR will have his guys ready to play week one this year. Its pretty clear that we needs a decent first month for him to keep his job for the long haul. Players (and fans) don't want that stinging feeling they had last year when we didn't show up vs. TBay and still only lost by 6 on the road. It was a disgusting loss and I feel like everyone will be on board with the plan to avoid such a fate this season.

I think we will give Seattle our best. Of all of the home games I see on the schedule, this is the one I'd most like to attend. Won't happen...but would like...

Seattle won't be easy as their defense is very good. Still, Wilson is a poor man's Cam and if there is any team ready to play against the read option, it should be us. Cam just needs to play better than Wilson and we will win.

#132 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:27 AM

You guys are right.

Just by getting older the last 5 years he is instantly better at play calling and game planning. I mean, there is a huge different between a 42 year old and a 47 year old. He was just a kid!

Some of you seem absolutely certain he has improved a great deal, which is insanity.

I can admit I am not 100% positive he will stink it up, all I can go on is his resume, (I know some of you choose to completely ignore it. I doubt you have actually done any hiring in your life)

1996-1999 OC of the Bucs. One of the worst NFL offenses in the league. Could not move ball inside red zone. (OMGZ it was the players fault!) - Fired
2000 - 2002 QB Coach of Miami Dolphins thanks to the Don making a phone call.
2003-2006 Alabama Head Coach went 6-6 in his final year when generally people expected at least 9 wins. Could not move ball inside red zone. Fired. (OMGZ it was the players!)
2007-2010 - Jax QB coach - Does a solid job with Garrard
2011-2012 - QB coach Carolina,does a solid job with Cam.

Looking at his past I see a guy that is a great talent at QB coaching. One on one communication and encouragement. It is, however, a completely different skill set than offensive coordinator.

Then I ask myself a few more questions...

1) Was Shula in the running for any OC job in the league including one that Chud may have open in Cleveland? No
2) Were the Panthers quick to promote him as the obvious choice to replace Chud? No

So why was he hired? I feel he was hired as Rivera's last ditch effort as a winning season. We all know he is fired if they do not win this year. His choice was a) risk a slow start with a brand new OC or B ) promote from within system and hope for the best. He chose B. Can't blame him really. So who on his staff would need the least amount of time adjusting to being an OC? Well, the guy that has done it before, even if he failed at it.

Will Shula be a failure as OC of the Panthers? Dunno
Will Shula be an awesome OC of the Panthers? Dunno

If you had to wager your life on either of these, which would it be? Sadly, based on all this info, I would have to choose the former.

<derp>OMGZ, Zod is sucha troll! he just wants teh hits< /derp>

#133 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,651 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:11 AM

This

#134 La Pantera

La Pantera

humpin' habanero

• HUDDLER
  • 3,755 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:29 AM

Score more points than they do.

#135 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 17,050 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:20 AM

You guys are right.

Just by getting older the last 5 years he is instantly better at play calling and game planning. I mean, there is a huge different between a 42 year old and a 47 year old. He was just a kid!

Some of you seem absolutely certain he has improved a great deal, which is insanity.

I can admit I am not 100% positive he will stink it up, all I can go on is his resume, (I know some of you choose to completely ignore it. I doubt you have actually done any hiring in your life)

1996-1999 OC of the Bucs. One of the worst NFL offenses in the league. Could not move ball inside red zone. (OMGZ it was the players fault!) - Fired
2000 - 2002 QB Coach of Miami Dolphins thanks to the Don making a phone call.
2003-2006 Alabama Head Coach went 6-6 in his final year when generally people expected at least 9 wins. Could not move ball inside red zone. Fired. (OMGZ it was the players!)
2007-2010 - Jax QB coach - Does a solid job with Garrard
2011-2012 - QB coach Carolina,does a solid job with Cam.

Looking at his past I see a guy that is a great talent at QB coaching. One on one communication and encouragement. It is, however, a completely different skill set than offensive coordinator.

Then I ask myself a few more questions...

1) Was Shula in the running for any OC job in the league including one that Chud may have open in Cleveland? No
2) Were the Panthers quick to promote him as the obvious choice to replace Chud? No

So why was he hired? I feel he was hired as Rivera's last ditch effort as a winning season. We all know he is fired if they do not win this year. His choice was a) risk a slow start with a brand new OC or B ) promote from within system and hope for the best. He chose B. Can't blame him really. So who on his staff would need the least amount of time adjusting to being an OC? Well, the guy that has done it before, even if he failed at it.

If you had to wager your life on either of these, which would it be? Sadly, based on all this info, I would have to choose the former.

<derp>OMGZ, Zod is sucha troll! he just wants teh hits< /derp>

I have hired hundreds of people and I know that you have to evaluate people for specific jobs and roles based on a number of factors, not least of which includes familiarity with the organization. I think you are right in saying that Rivera needed someone to start quickly and be familiar with the offense. He needed someone who would instantly mesh with Newton and could bring out the best in him.

What you perceive as a last ditch effort I perceive as the absolute best decision he could make given his options. And I think it is going to be a great decision. You can't compare what happened in Tampa a decade ago to what is happening here in Carolina. We have much better talent than Tampa had and courtesy of Chud, we have a very good playbook and offensive scheme for Shula to run. Shula doesn't have to be Chud or brilliant. He only has to be keep helping Newton make great decisions and rely on the running game which we largely marginalized last year.

I don't know if Shula would be great in other systems for other teams based on what he did in the past. But I do think that right here and now is the perfect situation for him to redeem himself. He will be highly motivated to perform well and will make every effort he can to correct the things he did poorly in the past. He understands offenses having been a quarterback in the NFL and surely is great with Newton which many feel was the reason we struggled early in the year. I don't think that calling the actual plays is as hard as some make it out to be. I don't know though, since I haven't done it. Still he has and likely learned quite a bit from his successes as well as his mistakes. He is a bright guy after all. He doesn't have to build anything though, just keep things running. All we need to do is start off quicker instead of waiting for the last half of the season.

I just think that promoting an employee from within who has a big desire to succeed and will work tirelessly to prove your trust in him is almost always a great idea. Particularly if your system through which he was groomed was already a successful one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com