Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Verge

My source has told me...

471 posts in this topic

If you think a 5-8, sub 175 WR is going to do anythin besides line up in the slot/scat back well I have some depressing news.

I really don't want a better Dexter McLuster at 14.

They said the same about smith. Not saying he'll be that good. Just saying as Panther fans we should know better than most, that its not the size of the dog in the fight.

They said the same about smith. Not saying he'll be that good. Just saying as Panther fans we should know better than most, that its not the size of the dog in the fight.

Steve Smith is 20 pounds heavier than Austin. He was 10 punds heavier than him coming out of college too. Not to mention Austin doesn't have nearly as much Strength as Smith does, and is unlikely he can gain weight without losing speed.

1 person likes this

Anyone else have a bad feeling Austin will be gone?

I strongly believe he will be gone and the pick will be Patterson or Hopkins. TE or S in the 2nd and DT in the 4th. Just what I believe.

Austin is the darling of the draft and will be gone by our pick. If he was still there we will take him as the BPA regardless of need. Gettleman intimated that we would pick BPA because he felt there were no glaring needs. He is the type of player that helps any team but particularly as an underneath scat back or slot receiver who is electric once he has the ball. What is there not to like??

As for Vacarro, his biggest faults appear to be that he likes to go for the kill shot instead of wrapping up when he tackles, and he is sometimes overly aggressive and can get fooled over the top with play action. His man coverage is considered a strength and he has the versatility and size to play against the slot receiver, tight end or even wide receiver as well as play in the box and blitz. He offers versatility which is why he is rated the best safety in the draft by many experts.

Cyprien is a good choice as well particularly if you are looking for a strong safety who is very good in the box but somewhat suspect in pass coverage. He is less versatile than Vacarro which begs the question, whether we want Godfrey as our free safety and are looking for a guy only to play SS or need a guy who can fill in in several capacities if injury occurs. Would we move Godfrey back to SS if we had a great option at FS. I think both guys would improve us. I just think Vacarro gives us an athletic guy whose knock is he has a killer instinct and I can surely embrace that.

I can't wait to not draft Tavon Austin so this place will engulf in flames and those flames will flame Gettleman and he'll be known as the worst GM ever and half of you will be crying for Hurney.

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything but how many Florida international games has everyone watched? Vaccaro is ranked anywhere between the top 10-15 players in the draft. Cyprien is pretty much a second/third rounder that had a good senior bowl. And I watched the entire senior bowl the other day again and he had a few good hits but nothing even remotely impressive but then again the QB play was so horrid in that game that it's hard to really make an accurate assessment.

My point? I like Cyprien but I'd rather go with a guy who has been steady on the draft boards than a guy who has been hyped up in the last few weeks. Vaccaro is not my top choice and I'd like to take a chance on Austin, Fluker, Warmack, or one of the DT's like sly or Richardson. But we could do a lot worse than vaccaro and a lot of scouts/draft gurus agree.

Steve Smith is 20 pounds heavier than Austin. He was 10 punds heavier than him coming out of college too. Not to mention Austin doesn't have nearly as much Strength as Smith does, and is unlikely he can gain weight without losing speed.

So? Does that mean he can't play? I bet if you asked steve himself, if he thought Tavon was to small to play in the NFL, he'd probably just laugh.

Also adding 10lbs of muscle wont be hard to do nor will it slow him down. Still think its funny that Panther fans dislike a guy because he's "too small".

I guess Mel Kiper jr. is thinking the Panthers will take Austin also!!!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/hot?id=9187897

There's been a lot of talk about TB taking Tavon, but I think its a smokescreen. I think they know we really like him and are trying to bait us into moving up.

talking out of your butt huh?

Mark Carrier said it.

Twitter link inside of Huddle thread link here:

Thanks, I don't think I noticed that last year. Carrier's comment doesn't say Rivera wanted him, and I have to assume that the desire for Barron had to be Hurney's. Glad he's gone so we don't have anymore near misses like that.

However I do have to think it's kind of dubious that Carrier would even say that. Either he was drunk, stupid, or throwing out some misdirection or something. It doesn't make any sense to basically tell your newest player "you weren't our first choice, we wanted a Safety (of all positions) more than you".

That we will take Tavon Austin if he is available, and if he is not Kenny Vacarro is a very good bet.

As some of you know my source tends to be very reliable and I generally only make one of these every year around draft time. Last year I was told that we were deciding between Coples and Kuechly, and that Bruce Irvin would go in the first.

Also some things he has told me:

DJ Hayden will go in the top 15

EJ Manuel will go in the first round

Matt Elam should be the second safety off the board

Keenan Allen will not go in the first, Justin Hunter should go ahead of him

The Panthers are looking at Arthur Brown/Quinton Patton/Robert Alfrod/Eric Reid/Jonathan Banks in the 2nd

Eddie Lacey probably won't drop to the 2nd

Just throwing some things out there for you guys.

He really thinks hayden will go in the top 15 after his injury??