• Please log in to reply
470 replies to this topic

#226 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:25 AM

I believe if Austin is there, it needs to be him.

Ask yourselves, what is the single point of failure on the Panthers roster?

IMHO, it is Steve Smith. If Smith goes down, who stretches the field? Look at Atlanta, New Orleans, they have viable speed on the outside if their prime receiver goes down. Does the Panthers? ...and for the love of God, please don't say Gettis.

I don't disagree with you, but I'm not particularly convinced Austin can stretch the field....just being fast doesn't = stretching the field. Your reason is precisely why I want Hunter. He's the best field stretcher in this draft, in my opinion. By far. I like Hopkins almost as much, but not as that type of WR. More of a Boldin (or even Fitzgerald if we want to be liberal with our comparisons) type.

#227 Jaxel

Jaxel

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:26 AM

So 40 yds the first half and 62yds the second?

Edit: seen your op.

26 in the second. Sorry should have edited.

#228 C47

C47

89...Panther for Life...

• HUDDLER
  • 12,148 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:27 AM

I don't disagree with you, but I'm not particularly convinced Austin can stretch the field....just being fast doesn't = stretching the field. Your reason is precisely why I want Hunter. He's the best field stretcher in this draft, in my opinion. By far. I like Hopkins almost as much, but not as that type of WR. More of a Boldin (or even Fitzgerald if we want to be liberal with our comparisons) type.

I would much rather move down from 14 if the Vikings are that high on Austin (if he's there), or Patterson and then get Hunter with their first.....

#229 Jaxel

Jaxel

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:31 AM

Here you go, Vacarro vs WVU.

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=F0lKPYyR0gw

You can see Him lined up 1 on 1 with Austin only in the second half.

#230 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

• HUDDLER
  • 4,601 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:36 AM

Vaccaros abiliy to cover will allow for more blitzes which is something we really dont do at all.

#231 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 17,646 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:52 AM

you guys are scaring the crap out of me with this Vaccaro talk cause it's looking almost certain he'll be the pick. Everything I've read this morning has Austin gone long before us.

Founds this on SI about Vaccaro

"Kenny Vaccaro is a highly impressive athlete and is one of the most complete safety prospects to enter the NFL the past several years. His elite speed and explosiveness allows him to make plays all over the field vs. the run and pass, and his agility and smoothness allow him to play under control despite playing at such a high speed. His most impressive effort this season came against West Virginia, when he went man-to-man for much of the night vs. the explosive and elusive Tavon Austin and more than held his own. He is outstanding on run plays outside the box, as he takes excellent angles to the boundary and is able to stay square to his target and finish effectively in space. His ability to slide down and play nickel back only adds to his value at the next level, as coverage ability is paramount for safeties in today's NFL which is so often based on spreading the field and exposing isolated match-ups. I fully expect Vaccaro to hear his name called on day one of the draft, as he is clearly one of the top defensive backs in this class.

Read More: http://sportsillustr.../#ixzz2R0etr6Sf

Thanks for the post

#232 RockyTopVol

RockyTopVol

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:54 AM

Vaccaro is pretty damn good too. I think people likes Vaccaro more than Barron last year. Barron wasnt talked about being a top 10 pick till close to the Draft. Vaccaro have pretty much been the consensus no.1 safety the whole entire time leading up to now. Vaccaro may not be a top 10 pick bc of how this draft is set up (heavy OLINE). But, Vaccaro is a top10 pick. Like the poster posted above, his flaws are very correctable (tackling). And this is a very good Safety class. Baldinger said this is the best safety class in a long time. Wasn't so much last year in Barron's draft.

You aren't understanding what we mean. Vaccaro is fine at FS, but Cyprien and Barron play SS. Seems weird to compare Barron to Vaccaro when they are such different players.

#233 Ship

Ship

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:11 AM

The FS/SS thing is what makes me wonder about Vaccaro. I think I was reading a an inferior site post about his visit and something along the lines of us looking to see whether Vaccaro was versatile enough to play SS. If we're committed to moving Godfrey into the FS spot then how can we justify drafting Vaccaro at 14 if he can't be a SS? Or maybe he is competent enough to play SS but he could shine at the FS. I guess you also have to take into account that Godfrey may be gone after this season and if DJ Campbell continues to grow he could take over SS and have Vaccaro at FS. It's a weird predicament I guess and I feel like it has the same taste of a lot of our problems on this team and especially at the safety spots which has been putting guys in tough positions/out of position.
I'd really like to feel good about Vaccaro because I think we need a top flight safety and he seems to have so much ability and potential. It's just troubling that during this process he comes off as a finicky player, like a well bred dog with perfect attributes but a screwed up personality or mindset. Not actually saying he has a bad personality or anything that was just an analogy. What I mean is there just feels like there is something off about him that could keep him from being a star. Does anyone else get that vibe?

#234 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,133 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:15 AM

Good list of players there were looking at.

Most Panther fans still judge prospects by method of SPA. Safest Player Avaliable. Years of Hurneywashing has made them terrified of the word bust. They sit under their covers at night tightly clinging to their blankey hoping the bustmonster doesn't come for them.

Teams don't build that way in the draft anymore. It's why adding free agents to positions of need is becoming so integral. You seek out draft prospects that actually can be the BEST possible player. Not the safest one. If he busts, oh well. To be elite, you have to maximize talent. Winning with a crew of good hearted lunch pale fellers who dont do their job too poor doesn't cut it. It's all yet another flaw in hurney team building plan.

#235 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• HUDDLER
  • 8,248 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:24 AM

The FS/SS thing is what makes me wonder about Vaccaro. I think I was reading a an inferior site post about his visit and something along the lines of us looking to see whether Vaccaro was versatile enough to play SS. If we're committed to moving Godfrey into the FS spot then how can we justify drafting Vaccaro at 14 if he can't be a SS? Or maybe he is competent enough to play SS but he could shine at the FS. I guess you also have to take into account that Godfrey may be gone after this season and if DJ Campbell continues to grow he could take over SS and have Vaccaro at FS. It's a weird predicament I guess and I feel like it has the same taste of a lot of our problems on this team and especially at the safety spots which has been putting guys in tough positions/out of position.
I'd really like to feel good about Vaccaro because I think we need a top flight safety and he seems to have so much ability and potential. It's just troubling that during this process he comes off as a finicky player, like a well bred dog with perfect attributes but a screwed up personality or mindset. Not actually saying he has a bad personality or anything that was just an analogy. What I mean is there just feels like there is something off about him that could keep him from being a star. Does anyone else get that vibe?

Yep, I know exactly what you mean. But we don't really know. If Gettleman and company decide he's our 14 pick, i will trust that. But i know, I just get a wierd vibe from him. Like he is a great player but he wont be able to become elite. I think maybe we have just been spoiled from Cam and Keek. I dunno. I'll support the pick 100% if it happens, but I don't want him at 14.

#236 Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:32 AM

Good list of players there were looking at.

Most Panther fans still judge prospects by method of SPA. Safest Player Avaliable. Years of Hurneywashing has made them terrified of the word bust. They sit under their covers at night tightly clinging to their blankey hoping the bustmonster doesn't come for them.

Teams don't build that way in the draft anymore. It's why adding free agents to positions of need is becoming so integral. You seek out draft prospects that actually can be the BEST possible player. Not the safest one. If he busts, oh well. To be elite, you have to maximize talent. Winning with a crew of good hearted lunch pale fellers who dont do their job too poor doesn't cut it. It's all yet another flaw in hurney team building plan.

a lot of truth in this statement.

#237 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,351 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:38 AM

Ginns only on a one year deal. And was a smart pick up, because if you dont get a guy in the draft, you have an insurance policy. Also DLo may be gone after this season. Could cover a lot of ground next season...

I agree with you. And, I think Tavon will be a very good slot WR. But, because of his height and weight, I just don't think he will ever be a legit #1 WR in the NFL. If you take him at 14, you will still need Smitty's replacement.

I like him, but would not spend the #14 pick on him with our other needs.

But, I am wrong over 50% if the time....so take it for what it's worth. Which even I can admit is very little.

#238 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,641 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:07 AM

It's hilarious, Vaccaro supporters use the WVU game for a foundation but he was apart of the reason why Bailey had 3 TDs and Buie ran for 200+ yards. Then there are the Oklahoma and K-State games where Vaccaro was absolutely dreadful.

But please continue posting meaningless articles from SI that hype his athleticism. That has never been done before. Seriously, no bust has ever been raved about in major sport publications.

#239 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,536 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:28 AM

It's hilarious, Vaccaro supporters use the WVU game for a foundation but he was apart of the reason why Bailey had 3 TDs and Buie ran for 200+ yards. Then there are the Oklahoma and K-State games where Vaccaro was absolutely dreadful.

But please continue posting meaningless articles from SI that hype his athleticism. That has never been done before. Seriously, no bust has ever been raved about in major sport publications.

Please explain to me why everyone has him as the highest rated safety. Seems the general consensus is that he will go in the top 20 of the draft. Pray tell me how you possess some divine understanding of his shortcomings and terrible play that seems to elude all these so-called experts. I haven't heard anyone mention the word "potential bust" in any of the dozens of evaluations I have read......

Seems you are only one saying he is bad. Don't get me wrong, you might be the harbinger of how he will be described years from now. I think we all know how you feel about him. This isn't some contest where if you make more arguments deriding his ability then we don't take him.

No matter what all the experts have said, you aren't changing your mind and I doubt you have swayed many to ignore all the experts and pick up your bandwagon. And if you say that you don't care what other's think and what they say, then why the back and forth constant debate? To repeat the same thing over and over trying to convince no one without a care whether they agree with you, appears pointless. Unless of course you like to be the contrarian and like to argue.
You are certainly welcome to your opinion as is everyone else. And you have every right to trust your personal observations and subjective evaluations over the same by others who proclaim some expertise in evaluating players. I just would think that you might not be so vociferous in your negativity give you are really all alone, out in left field on this one compared to everyone else. I know, you don't care..........

Then why do I know you will care enough to respond to this?

#240 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,133 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:39 AM

forerunner is to vaccaro as kkl is to WRs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.