Photo
- - - - -

What if we pass on WR at 14. Is there better value in later rounds?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,737 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:03 AM

I know everyone is sick and tired of the Austin, Allen, Patterson discussion but how about some lesser mentioned guys in later rounds like Terrance Williams or DaRick Rodgers or Elon standout Aaron Mellette. who could we get in the second? Could we go other directions in the first 2 rounds and still find value in the 4th?? If we go big hog in the first as Gettlemen suggests, then do we go safety or corner in the second or did Gettleman already fix those positions (at least in his mind). at what point is wide receiver the BPA.

http://www.charlotte...-attention.html

#2 Jakob

Jakob

never conquered rarely came

• Stop Making Threads...
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:09 AM

Austin, he dat deal

#3 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,621 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:31 AM

If we cannot get Austin I honestly like DaRick Rogers as about as well as anyone except Austin. I do not know enough about the others mentioned to comment.If we get a receiver I hope we get someone that can bring a different dimension such as third and short or red zone target.It may be that we should look at a TE versus WR if we do not draft one in the 1st.I think we have too many of the same type of receiver on the roster now

#4 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,753 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:04 AM

I want WR and DT addresses in the first two rounds, don't care in which order.

#5 firstdayfan

firstdayfan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts
  • LocationColumbia, SC

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:15 AM

I know people have compared him to lafell (which is absolutely ridiculous) but I really love what Rodgers brings to the table. If we could get him in the second round I would be thrilled. I doubt we will but who knows.

If you compare him and hopkins I feel like rodgers is a better prospect. He's bigger, faster, stronger, and more explosive. And several scouts have said that if it hadn't been for rodgers off the field issues then he'd be a first rounder.

Hunter could be an option with a ton of potential but I dont necessarily like him. Patton, Vernon, Terrance Williams, and Bailey seem like a JAGs. Dobson is raw, Swope is overrated, and Woods and Allen can't stay healthy.

I also like wheaton, he's got some good speed, runs good routes, and has pretty decent hands.

#6 firstdayfan

firstdayfan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts
  • LocationColumbia, SC

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:16 AM

Honestly I'd rather take tight end like Ertz in the second rather if guys like wheaton, allen, hopkins, hunter, rodgers are gone.

#7 La Pantera

La Pantera

humpin' habanero

• HUDDLER
  • 3,699 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:16 AM

I want WR and DT addresses in the first two rounds, don't care in which order.

I've really started to like Brandon Williams at NT. The only problem is I believe he'll be a 3rd rounder. I have a feeling if we don't get him we'll wait til later and pick Spence.

#8 Jesse

Jesse

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:22 AM

I'd be ok with choosing two defenders. We have a very solid #3 in Hixon and I believe he will be able to make things in the passing game.

Luckily next year we either have a high draft position or we are in a spot to choose an elite WR rather than be iffy on some of the prospects and their shortcomings.

#9 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,498 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:47 AM

I think hands down the best value at WR is in the 2nd. Austin and Patterson are near locks for the 1st (though neither should be taken in the first half of it). After that: Hunter, Hopkins, Allen, Patton, Woods, Rogers are all players who would be good value for us in the 2nd (in that order, in my opinion) and I don't see eight receivers being taken in the first 43 picks.

Beyond those guys, Dobson, Swope, Bailey, and a few others are all realistic to think of as 4th round guys who would also be better value than a WR in the 1st.

With this WR class being so anemic in top tier talent but bloated at 2-4th round talent, that's obviously where the value lies and that's where I fully believe we should focus our WR interest.

#10 La Pantera

La Pantera

humpin' habanero

• HUDDLER
  • 3,699 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:08 AM

I think hands down the best value at WR is in the 2nd. Austin and Patterson are near locks for the 1st (though neither should be taken in the first half of it). After that: Hunter, Hopkins, Allen, Patton, Woods, Rogers are all players who would be good value for us in the 2nd (in that order, in my opinion) and I don't see eight receivers be.ing taken in the first 43 picks.

Beyond those guys, Dobson, Swope, Bailey, and a few others are all realistic to think of as 4th round guys who would also be better value than a WR in the 1st.

With this WR class being so anemic in top tier talent but bloated at 2-4th round talent, that's obviously where the value lies and that's where I fully believe we should focus our WR interest.

I could see Austin and Patterson going in the top of the 1st. With Hopkins, Hunter and Allen in the bottom.

#11 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,498 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:13 AM

Yea, I could see it happening. But I don't think it should, re: Austin and Patterson.

#12 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,602 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:25 AM

if not with the 14th pick, i can see it being addressed in the 2nd. the panthers have worked out Wheaton, Patton, Bailey, Hunter so if somebody slides(Johnson, Floyd) they can go there and then WR in the 2nd.

#13 Strawman

Strawman

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationKissimmee FL

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:56 AM

I'm extremely high on Aaron Dobson.

#14 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,659 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:19 AM

I think hands down the best value at WR is in the 2nd. Austin and Patterson are near locks for the 1st (though neither should be taken in the first half of it). After that: Hunter, Hopkins, Allen, Patton, Woods, Rogers are all players who would be good value for us in the 2nd (in that order, in my opinion) and I don't see eight receivers being taken in the first 43 picks.

agreed.

#15 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,287 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:22 AM

Woods is not better Rogers. No way in hell.

Just the fact that he's a USC WR pretty much drives me away from this guy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com