• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#1 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,482 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:56 AM

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — A Philadelphia couple serving probation for the 2009 death of their toddler after they turned to prayer instead of a doctor could face new charges now that another of their children has died.

Herbert and Catherine Schaible belong to a fundamentalist Christian church that believes in faith healing.

Philadelphia Judge Benjamin Lerner said at a hearing they violated the most important condition of their probation: to seek medical care for their remaining children.

http://www.chron.com...ing-4455524.php

Obviously this act is criminal, but at what point should the beliefs of a parent be replaced by what is clearly needed by the child?

#2 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,820 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:03 AM

Case by case basis, but pretty much anything that endangers the welfare of a child should be dealt with by the authorities.

#3 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,201 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:04 AM

God is merciful and works in mysterious ways! Their child is in a much better place now, the suffering is over. There is only one set of laws anyone has to answer to... God's laws!

#4 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,228 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:14 AM

If someone wants to live out their faith that's fine as long as it doesn't hurt other people. However it gets much more complicated when it involves a parent/child relationship.

Luckily most people in America don't truly believe fully in their religion like these people do so it's not common here in America.

Reminds me of an article i just read.

When it comes to, say, medical treatment, almost everyone in the industrial West still favors going to a medical doctor instead of a witch doctor. You should me someone who prefers mythology at 35,000 feet and I’ll show you a hypocrite.

Read more: http://communities.w.../#ixzz2RIdgLlzW
Follow us: @wtcommunities on Twitter

#5 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,717 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:15 AM

I hope their defense is that "obviously God wanted our child dead, so therefore we are innocent of any wrongdoing"...

#6 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

keep lbing

• HUDDLER
  • 6,091 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:33 AM

God is merciful and works in mysterious ways! Their child is in a much better place now, the suffering is over. There is only one set of laws anyone has to answer to... God's laws!

Not sure if serious.

#7 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

keep lbing

• HUDDLER
  • 6,091 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:34 AM

This is a severe case of child abuse by repeat offenders. Lock them up in the looney bin and throw away the key.

#8 CatofWar

CatofWar

Join, or Die

• HUDDLER
  • 3,366 posts
  • LocationGitmo

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:58 AM

Not sure if serious.

Total seriousness.

#9 CCS

CCS

Glutton for heart break and punishment

• HUDDLER
  • 3,332 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:11 PM

I'm sure that they'll say it was God's will. That's Christian's answer to everything that they don't have a real answer for.

#10 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,228 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:18 PM

I'm sure that they'll say it was God's will. That's Christian's answer to everything that they don't have a real answer for.

Yes it is. And my reply to them would be "your god's will is terrible".

#11 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:19 PM

I just don't get it...but I'll openly admit, I'm far less religious than the average bear and nowhere near as close as these folks. To be, it's a slam dunk...medicine!!!

#12 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,084 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:22 PM

Religion, what an awesome thing.

#13 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 37,497 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:37 PM

I just don't get it...but I'll openly admit, I'm far less religious than the average bear and nowhere near as close as these folks. To be, it's a slam dunk...medicine!!!

I'm quite religious, and you'll never see me supporting this kind of thing. In fact, nobody I know would be in favor of going that route.

They call this a fundamentalist church, but I've never known any fundamentalist church to support denying medical treatment, especially to children. The only people I've ever really seen support this approach were cult members.

The idea that God teaches people not to go to doctors is utterly unsupported in the Bible. You have to twist Scripture to get that reading. It's especially ridiculous when you consider that the author of two books in the New Testament was a physician.

#14 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 19,292 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:43 PM

i posted in the other thread on this that i've come from a heavily fundamentalist religious context and i've seen all manner of dynamics played out on these sorts of issues, and the most confounding one to me is the idea of god as the great healer who will cure your ailments if you pray right or have enough faith or you are chosen; and this understanding is viewed microcosmically in the believer who, having a headache, prays for relief from the pain, with full belief that his faith will heal him, and in mid-prayer pops an aspirin, and then wakes up a few hours later from the nap he took praising god that his headache is gone.

#15 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,228 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:57 PM

The idea that God teaches people not to go to doctors is utterly unsupported in the Bible. You have to twist Scripture to get that reading. It's especially ridiculous when you consider that the author of two books in the New Testament was a physician.

Matthew 21:21-22

Mark 11:20-25

John 14:12-13

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.