2nd child of Pa. couple dies after only praying

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#11 Hawk

Hawk

Banned

Moderators

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:19 PM

I just don't get it...but I'll openly admit, I'm far less religious than the average bear and nowhere near as close as these folks. To be, it's a slam dunk...medicine!!!

#12 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

MFCEO

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:22 PM

Religion, what an awesome thing.

#13 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• LocationSC
SUPPORTER

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:37 PM

I just don't get it...but I'll openly admit, I'm far less religious than the average bear and nowhere near as close as these folks. To be, it's a slam dunk...medicine!!!

I'm quite religious, and you'll never see me supporting this kind of thing. In fact, nobody I know would be in favor of going that route.

They call this a fundamentalist church, but I've never known any fundamentalist church to support denying medical treatment, especially to children. The only people I've ever really seen support this approach were cult members.

The idea that God teaches people not to go to doctors is utterly unsupported in the Bible. You have to twist Scripture to get that reading. It's especially ridiculous when you consider that the author of two books in the New Testament was a physician.

#14 PhillyB

PhillyB

sườn núi phía đông thứ ba của mặt trời

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun
HUDDLER

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:43 PM

i posted in the other thread on this that i've come from a heavily fundamentalist religious context and i've seen all manner of dynamics played out on these sorts of issues, and the most confounding one to me is the idea of god as the great healer who will cure your ailments if you pray right or have enough faith or you are chosen; and this understanding is viewed microcosmically in the believer who, having a headache, prays for relief from the pain, with full belief that his faith will heal him, and in mid-prayer pops an aspirin, and then wakes up a few hours later from the nap he took praising god that his headache is gone.

#15 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

HUDDLER

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:57 PM

The idea that God teaches people not to go to doctors is utterly unsupported in the Bible. You have to twist Scripture to get that reading. It's especially ridiculous when you consider that the author of two books in the New Testament was a physician.

Matthew 21:21-22

Mark 11:20-25

John 14:12-13

#16 mav1234

mav1234

HUDDLER

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:02 PM

none of those say, "Don't trust doctors," just that prayer can do great things... I dunno, I think that saying that you shouldn't seek medical care according to new testament is a pretty clear distortion of the bible.

#17 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• LocationMatthews, NC
Administrators

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:03 PM

I wonder how they've survived up until this point.

I mean, did they earn money to pay for food, or did they pray to God for some to land in their mouths?

#18 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

SUPPORTER

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:18 PM

Obviously this case is way over the line but where do your religious freedoms end?

Can a parent claim that learning to read is against their religion?
Can they refuse to give their child dairy products?
What about eating fruit?
When does it become required for a parent to take their child to a doctor? Fever? Unresponsive?

Clearly letting children die is too far but it does beg the question of where the line is.

#19 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• LocationMontford
HUDDLER

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:18 PM

Luke was a physician. If you think the bible does not want you to get help or go thru surgery than there isn't much hope for you.

#20 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

HUDDLER

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:23 PM

Luke was a physician. If you think the bible does not want you to get help or go thru surgery than there isn't much hope for you.

Didn't you claim you took a NT class in college? Or was that someone else?

I don't think it's a huge leap for people who believe the bible is 100% correct to read the scriptures I posted and believe there is no need for meds, just prayer and faith.
Hell Jesus didn't eat for 40 whole days and was fine. God will provide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users