Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dunlap Fired

54 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I would have kept him 1 more year and see what he can do... to judge him on the roster and team he had last year wasnt fair to him. The only way I would agree with his release is if the players had major issues with him (excluding Ben Gordon)

Posted · Report post

I give Jordan credit. He couldve been cheap and kept him around another 2 years even tho he knew he was gonna fire him anyway like another local ownership group and franchise. Props

Posted · Report post

He's a college coach. Not fit for the NBA game and personnel. He's probably going to be able to parlay this into a head coaching gig somewhere at a respectable mid level university. UNCC?

Just off the top of my head - you gotta think Patrick Ewing is going to be the leader in the clubhouse now for the job.

Bonnell said on WFNZ that he believes it would of been hard to attract expensive FAs with him here. Probably a good, mutual split for both parties involved.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='carpanfan96' timestamp='1366739731' post='2204320']
Jerry Sloan might be an option again.
[/quote]

Then they'll be going through this same process in a year or two.

Sloan is/was an excellent coach but if they were going to hire him for 1-2 seasons as a stop gap they should have done it last year.

I don't know why stability is always disregarded in pro sports.

Posted · Report post

Bonnell indicated in interview on WFNZ that the players definitely are not as upset are the fans are...

I think that about says it all... Hate it for Dunlap, I thought he had a good system for our young team.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='King Taharqa' timestamp='1366741055' post='2204358']
I give Jordan credit. He couldve been cheap and kept him around another 2 years even tho he knew he was gonna fire him anyway like another local ownership group and franchise. Props
[/quote]

Smart decision to fire him.....brought on by a God Awful decision to have hired him in the first place.

Interested to see who he goes with now.

Posted · Report post

I have a feeling that Dunlap will rebound quicker from this than the Bobcats.

He's now an ex-NBA coach and would certainly provide an asset to a college coach in recruiting. I still think he's going to be able to get a mid level NCAA head coaching job from this. If not this year than next.

Posted · Report post

Also - when is Rod Higgins going to be fired?

Posted · Report post

I do not like this move. He was brought in to develop the young players, not to win a lot of games right away. He accomplished that task as Kemba and Henderson had great years and Bismack showed some progress. It will be hard to bring in a new guy and tell him he has time to build a winner when they told that to Dunlap then fired him after one season. The new coach will probably be a Jordan crony....

Posted · Report post

The team is saying they want to attract VETERAN FA's and keeping Dunlap around would've prevented that. To justify this move they need to get a credible coach who has experience in the NBA. Nate McMillan is a name I threw out there last year. He's worth a call.

Posted · Report post

I think the Ben Gordon situation sealed his fate. Also Mike Dunlap did not have a clue on what a rotation was. I swear every game it was like inny minny miny mo on who was starting.

Posted · Report post

Wooooooooooooooooooooow

I cannot believe that Dunlap was actually fired. Granted he wasn't a great coach or anything, but I thought that he did a good job this year developing our younger players and also more than doubling our win total (when you account for last season being shortened). I kinda feel bad for Dunlap, but I never did think that he was the coach of the future and I've always thought that we needed to hire someone to grow with the team, kinda like Brooks with OKC.