Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alvin Gentry A Possible Candidate?

24 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

He could be a solid hire. He's developed some exciting sides, and did take the Suns to the conference finals. So he's got the experience to be a good hire.

Posted · Report post

[b]Update[/b]

[quote][url="http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/04/26/4006090/shelby-native-alvin-gentry-says.html"]Alvin Gentry would love to come home and coach the Charlotte Bobcats[/url]. A Shelby native and former Appalachian State player, Gentry has coached four NBA franchises over 12 seasons. He told the Observer Friday that the Bobcats opening is very appealing and he’d like to be in the mix. “It reminds me a little bit of the teams I had in L.A. (with the Clippers): Young players, very energetic guys,’’ Gentry said. “Kemba (Walker) and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist have a lot of potential and (Gerald) Henderson has started to really establish himself as a pro. “I’ve seen a lot of their games. Yes, they’ve struggled at times, but that’s a situation where you could make a big change in a year or so. I know that player development is really important to that job.’’ [url="http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/04/26/4006090/shelby-native-alvin-gentry-says.html"]Charlotte Observer[/url][/quote]

[quote]The Bobcats have gone through four head coaches since 2007. Gentry said that wouldn’t deter him, that the team’s assets – likely four first-round picks over the next two drafts and up to $21 million in cap space – make this an appealing situation. [url="http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/04/26/4006090/shelby-native-alvin-gentry-says.html"]“You know they’re going to get some good young players with those picks and then they have the (cap) flexibility to add a very good veteran player, somebody who can serve as an example to the rest of the locker room,’’ Gentry said[/url]. “And you’ve got Michael (Jordan as owner) – the best player to ever put on a uniform. I’d certainly use him as a resource.’’ [url="http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/04/26/4006090/shelby-native-alvin-gentry-says.html"]Charlotte Observer[/url][/quote]

Posted · Report post

Make it happen MJ. DO it now.

Posted · Report post

would love him

Posted · Report post

I think Gentry will be the guy unless Jax takes a front office position and chooses to hire whoever he wants.

Posted · Report post

I wouldn't hate Gentry, especially since it seems like he really wants to be here. You could say, "an unemployed coach wants to be employed? wow!", but Brian Shaw apparently wasn't open to coaching the Bobcats.

Posted · Report post

Rick Bonnell @rick_bonnell 31m

Just confirmed with Alvin Gentry he's interviewing with Bobcats next week. He'd be a good one -- a veteran coach with people skills.

Posted · Report post

inb4 they would only be hiring Gentry to draw in the App State fans

Posted · Report post

inb4 they would only be hiring Gentry to draw in the App State fans

Nah if we wanted to do that, we'd sign that dude that air-balled that shot the worst free throw in basketball history.

Posted · Report post

Nah if we wanted to do that, we'd sign that dude that air-balled that shot the worst free throw in basketball history.

lulz yeahh. don't think he's even on the team anymore and he was going to be a Sr. Big East transfer from Rutgers that just never panned out

Posted · Report post

lulz yeahh. don't think he's even on the team anymore and he was going to be a Sr. Big East transfer from Rutgers that just never panned out

He did become famous because of that though.

In all seriousness though, I think Gentry is the best candidate; he has had previous success and he wants to be here.

Posted · Report post

Gentry will be the HC of the Charlotte "................" soon. It's not even a fair fight.