Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NFL Draft Round 2: Panthers select Kawann Short

151 posts in this topic

Posted

One thing I really love about Short is that he uses his hands extremely well and with force to maintain leverage and to keep the guard retreating. So while he might not get to the quarterback, he is preventing the quarterback from stepping up into a clean pocket when the outside pressure arrives (Johnson, Hardy).

Also, I appreciate just how well he splits double teams. As good of a pass rusher as he is, I think his power is really underrated.

Really, he is kind of similar to Nick Fairley in a lot of ways (and we got Short in the 2nd!) and we saw what happened this season with a healthy Fairley. He was damn near unstoppable at times. My only major concern with him is that he struggles against zone blocking. He can get washed away rather easily at times (watch his game against Wisconsin). Given his strength and quickness, I believe that can certainly be improved with coaching.

Also, the more you watch him play, the more you realize Purdue has a pretty bad defense around him.

Posted

Short was who I wanted even before Star fell into our laps. Games are mostly won at the line and we're going to start winning a lot more battles with these two picks.

Posted

Sure as hell didn't hate it yesterday.

Star was a huge value at a huge need. Kawann rounds out an infusion of youth in a position that has lacked talent and skill for years. However, from what I'm gathering, a lot of people still have a problem doubling down on the position.

I understand a lot of people think we need a WR. But the value wasn't at all comparable to Star at 14 and we already have countless second and mid-round picks already on the roster so why pick another? This isn't 2009-type WR talent we're looking at here (the only position that draft seemed to be strong in).

Posted

Nice little bit of info:

http://www.indystar.com/article/20130426/SPORTS0602/304260072/NFL-Draft-2013-Purdue-s-Kawann-Short-selected-by-Carolina-Panthers?nclick_check=1

Specifically mentioning he blocked 4 kicks last season!

Posted

For a guy with effort problems he sure puts up some impressive numbers.

Posted

That's swell but out of all of the players you listed, Ross and Webster were the only ones who played in their first Super Bowl victory. And Webster was hurt for most of the season.

That is true they are the only ones who contributed to the first Superbowl victory. But Ross, Webster, Amukamara, and Phillips contributed to the second Super Bowl victory. If you look at the timeline Jones is the only one who didn't participate in a Super Bowl that occurred after he drafted.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=280203017

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=320205017

Also, other than Jones and Hosley they all would start for us. Rolle and Grant(that year) who were FA, would also start for us.

It looks like I'm arguing against the pick which I am not. But I disagree with spin that says the Giants are content with/ have subpar talent back there.

Posted

Gettleman's confidence is starting to more closely resemble arrogance.

As are your posts.

1 person likes this

Posted

The Giants can't draft very good DBs. Isn't this already a known fact? The ONLY one that they have drafted that look that he might be worth the pick is Hosley. That was last year. They draft guys that have a good season or two and then fizzle out. See Webster, Ross, Thomas (injury plagued), Phillips (injuries), and Amukamara has done jack poo to suggest he was worthy of a 1st round pick.

Posted

This team was going to have holes no matter who was picked. We needed to many players and had too few picks. Nice to shore up the middle of the dline. Everyeone complaining about the other needs is correct. There was no way to solve all the problems with this draft. It is time for this team to hit on a few players that were not picked at the top of the draft.

Posted

The way I see it, we have had massive holes on the D-line for years. This just fixed it for the next 5. I'm sold.

Posted

Gettleman said that as part of their evaluation process, a couple of coaches took him to dinner.

Wonder how much that cost :lol:

Posted

You guys complain about anything. Dave said that free agency will allow BPA so there you have it. That's why none of you including myself are in the front office.

1 person likes this