150 replies to this topic

#106 XClown1986

XClown1986

I'm Rick Grimes, Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:06 PM

The way I see it, we have had massive holes on the D-line for years. This just fixed it for the next 5. I'm sold.

#107 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,269 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:08 PM

Gettleman said that as part of their evaluation process, a couple of coaches took him to dinner.

Wonder how much that cost :lol:

#108 ThunderKatt

ThunderKatt

Hello to All my Haters

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • LocationIn yo moma

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:08 PM

You guys complain about anything. Dave said that free agency will allow BPA so there you have it. That's why none of you including myself are in the front office.

#109 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 14,765 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:15 PM

The problem with the whole "shoring up the line" theory with going with another DT in the 2nd is that very few rookie DTs come in tearing it up year one. With glaring holes in the secondary and guys that could come in and be the best at their respective positions immediately as rookies still available to be drafted, this seemed extremely stubborn and foolhardy.

This is Gettleman's first year, so it's hard to go all hater on him, but if the results don't show early, this move won't bode well for his reputation with fans. Then again, if he just drafted Dwan's successor with no drop off in production in Short and a core team guy in Star, we just amassed our greatest DL ever (outside of 2003).

Summary: I'm not a fan of the move, as-is, right now, b/c of the holes we had elsewhere and the potential we had to trade back and get more picks. I also think it was extremely arrogant of Gettleman to rule out trades yesterday. If this guy turns out to be a worthy 2nd round pick, we will be forever thankful to Gettleman. Time will tell so I'm reserving final judgement, but I'm skeptical while still holding out hope he got it right. After Hurney, there is one thing I don't have much patience for, and that is front office personnel who refuse to adapt or adjust on the fly.

Again, I hope he's right.

#110 ThunderKatt

ThunderKatt

Hello to All my Haters

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • LocationIn yo moma

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:18 PM

the first time I agree with you. The offense is good enough since they have explosive tendencies in all phases.

DWill, Stew, Tolbert, Cam, Smitty, LaFell, Hixon, Ginn, Olsen.....the offense has plenty of weapons.

If the OLine stays healthy we will be a very good team.

#111 Keith Moons Liver

Keith Moons Liver

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:18 PM

DTs taking a long time to develop is exactly why we should be drafting them. get them now, then by the time the rest of the holes are fixed the DTs will be ready. this stuff is elementary, guys.

#112 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,466 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:22 PM

Cam has to be a little pissed off, they have done very little to help him.

putting points on the board hasn't been the suggest issue.

Keep crying though.

#113 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 13,360 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:32 PM

putting points on the board hasn't been the suggest issue.

Keep crying though.

Pretty sure his line was one of the worst last year, but keep talking out of your ass. Cam came up gimpy more times than once, ask Russell Wilson, Tom Brady, Colin Kaepernick how much a line helps the offense. It all starts upfront on BOTH sides of the ball.

#114 The Huddler

The Huddler

St. Thomas Aquinas

• HUDDLER
  • 4,129 posts
  • LocationRadford University

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:33 PM

Our DB's will only have to cover for like two seconds. Too many holes, not enough picks? make a pick that will not only improve that position, but will aid others as well, in a big way. Good pick IMO. Great pick.

If we missed out on Star and got Richardson, i would be pretty damn excited thinking about the pass rush with dwan. In hindsight, we landed a dude in the 2nd who could very possibly be a better passrusher than Richardson.

We are one Dwan Injury away from having Sione Pooa in there. People are saying that Short will be a back up, only a rotational player. ehh, think about this for a second..
.... yes rookie Defensive tackles usually struggle as a rookie. i would imagine most rookie defensive tackle go into a situation where there isn't much help around them..
..... Short is gunna be next to two(2) 10+ sack Defensive ends, and Star fuggin Lotulelei. He will have help!

TLDR;!! Think of the best young pashrushers who have broke out in almost immediately . Who were their supporting casts? JPP ( New York Stud DLINE) and Aldon Smith ( SF stout D line )

Short wont have that rookie wall that other players at his position will go through due to having to dominate by themselves.

#115 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,466 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:45 PM

I love this pick.

A great pass rushing dtone prospect.
We finally take care our out biggest needs, and fans are complaining.

Go ahead...cry.

I'll continue to rejoice.

#116 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,466 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:46 PM

Pretty sure his line was one of the worst last year, but keep talking out of your ass. Cam came up gimpy more times than once, ask Russell Wilson, Tom Brady, Colin Kaepernick how much a line helps the offense. It all starts upfront on BOTH sides of the ball.

you are an idiot to think i don't know the value of both lines. Thanks for playing though.

Come again.

#117 FirstRoundPick

FirstRoundPick

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:49 PM

you are an idiot to think i don't know the value of both lines. Thanks for playing though.

Come again.

Ah man. Pantherclaw butchering the English language again. Can anyone comprehend what was just said?

#118 Gabeking

Gabeking

• HUDDLER
  • 3,305 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:53 PM

People complaining about "more pressing needs" Levi brown and Sam Bowie say hi

#119 The Huddler

The Huddler

St. Thomas Aquinas

• HUDDLER
  • 4,129 posts
  • LocationRadford University

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:56 PM

I love this pick.

A great pass rushing dtone prospect.
We finally take care our out biggest needs, and fans are complaining.

Go ahead...cry.

I'll continue to rejoice.

Im right there with you man. I feel most fans are coming around and realizing what we got though.. except the occasional tard that claims we should have "filled a "hole"

#120 The Golden Child

The Golden Child

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:59 PM

Gettleman is cleaning up Marty's mess (McClain,Fua). This is what Jerry Richardson meant when he said we needed a GM who could "fix things".
Great pick btw. did not expect 2 DT's

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NFL Draft, Carolina Panthers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.