Photo
- - - - -

Gettleman's Philosophy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#13 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

SUPPORTER

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:09 PM

I was watching the Gettleman presser (here) when I noticed @ 15:36 he mentions that another team called about our 2nd offering us next years 1st and He turns this offer down flatly.

If the feeling from Gettleman was that Ron was one foot out the door, why wouldn't he do this deal? If you were shopping the Panthers to a potential new HC, having 2 first round picks would be a unique, yet powerful, sweetener to that deal. A smart GM like Dave with that feeling would hedge his bets and stockpile the pick..

But he doesn't do that, he's all in. As a matter of fact, it;s a joke to him that they would even offer this because of our need for talent in this years draft.

Not next year.. This year..

Management is completely behind Ron and believes in the talent on this team (even at DB to the dismay of many). If Ron fails, it won't be for lack of resources or support. I take this to be an encouraging sign, even if it's just the rum talking..

You misheard Gettleman. He said "some team called asked if we wanted their 2nd for next years first"

#14 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:20 PM

Yeah that team thought Hurney was still GM.

#15 Leeroy Jenkins PhD

Leeroy Jenkins PhD

HCIC

SUPPORTER

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:22 PM

I am all but certain our 4th will be used on the O-Line due to this same line of thinking. I am fine with this.

#16 FirstRoundPick

FirstRoundPick

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:26 PM

Our DB's played pretty well late last season. I think Gettleman believes they are good enough with a nasty DL.

We can't fix everything in one draft.

Let the young DB's mature...then get Smitty's replacement and DB's (if needed) next year.

Give it a little time

I wasn't implying we should have drafted DB's in response to the we can't fix everything in one draft. I've said I was good with the pick, and would have loved this philosophy earlier.

QB and pash rush are the two most important things in football today, and being good in just those two alone can get you into the playoffs. Not being good in both, and the stars will have to align to get in.

Anyway, my point is lets not say we are good at CB because our pass rush will put the QB on the ground. That is hyperbole. Yes, the pass rush will be good and we have improved a lot with those two picks.(I am still scared about Star's heart though). There seems to be an attitude around here like our D-Line is so good that we don't have to get better back there. That is dangerous thinking. I'm not complaining about the pick but we still have a lot of building to do, and all of it won't happen this year but DB's definitely need rebuilding, and you can't dismiss it due to a pass rush.

#17 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

SUPPORTER

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:30 PM

The best way I can describe Gettlemania is that Marty Hurney tried really hard to draft and make trades. It just feels like Gettleman is a natural. Things Marty would agonize over are easy and quick decisions for Gettleman. He has a philosophy and does not deviate from it.