Photo
- - - - -

Jordan Offering Jackson A Front Office Position?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,520 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:54 AM

Rumors are swirling that Michael Jordan is ready to offer Phil Jackson a piece of the Charlotte Bobcats and an executive position, giving Jackson total control of the basketball side. Jordan owns the Bobcats, who fired coach Mike Dunlap after one season. FOXSports Ohio

Also, if Jackson lands a front-office job, most folks in league circles believe he’d target former assistant Brian Shaw as his next coach. Shaw is currently an assistant with Indiana.

Rick Bonnell: I asked Bobcats vice chairman Curtis Polk about Phil Jackson rumor. He said (generically) team isn't commenting on coach search. Twitter @rick_bonnell

Very interesting news.

#2 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 17,468 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:49 AM

Interesting. Interesting.

#3 ZB1224

ZB1224

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • LocationWinston Salem

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:12 PM

Phil Jackson would be a HUGE pickup. I definitely didn't/couldn't see him coaching Charlotte or Cleveland, but I could definitely see him being in charge of basketball operations. If Phil really wants to move on from coaching and make his mark as an executive, then Charlotte would be the perfect place for him to do it.

#4 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

This would be awesome, thanks for posting.

#5 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 14,003 posts
  • Location704

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:24 PM

Not going to happen.

The bobcats are too awful for PJ. He would have to be an executive on a team like the Knicks/Heat/Lakers/Clippers/OKC

He isn't going anywhere that would require a few years of work.

#6 Mike

Mike

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:55 AM

If this happens it could be a good move for the Bobcats.

#7 Thelt

Thelt

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:17 PM

What happens to Cho under this scenario?

#8 JefDav84

JefDav84

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:42 PM

What happens to Cho under this scenario?

That is my question

#9 Sapper

Sapper

Healthy Scratch

• HUDDLER
  • 2,770 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:12 PM

Yea I don't want Cho to be deprecated.

#10 ckad79

ckad79

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:21 AM

Not going to happen.

The bobcats are too awful for PJ. He would have to be an executive on a team like the Knicks/Heat/Lakers/Clippers/OKC

I think the deal is, finding somewhere where he can connivence good talent to come and play. The NBA has a salary cap and you can move guys around to find the cash. Thing is, the white sandy beaches of Miami and the nonstop entertainment in New York City, offer things that Charlotte can't. That is the difference.

Oklahoma City has no clue how luckily they are to have a guy like Durant who loves living there. Sort of reminds me of Malone and Stockton in Utah. Sometimes cities like that can land a guy or two who loves it, but it's a rare find. Most star athletes are gladly going to the Big Apple, Hollywood or South Beach in a heartbeat.

#11 cdandi1

cdandi1

Formerly JerryRich4Pres

• HUDDLER
  • 2,707 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:20 AM

Not going to happen.

Marc Stein on ESPN this morning said "PJ", if he wants what he says he wants, is most likely going to take a job like Toronto or Charlotte because the successful teams already have front offices with track records that won't be uprooted for "PJ."  

I think Cha has a better chance than most "rebuilding" teams because of Jordan's relationship with Phil Jackson.  Cleveland's owner may be too imposing for Phil and Canada may be too cold for Phil (reportedly didn't want to take a job where its cold).  

#12 MrBubba

MrBubba

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:15 PM

Don't see it happening, even if Jackson was willing, and lets be honest he spends most of his time in Idaho or Montana not in LA these days.  Regardless I don't see Jordan giving up control of operations.  Jackson has let it be known he is interested in a Riley type job that he goes in late and leaves early and just makes the final decisions.  But that is what Jordan wants and does now also, don't see an alpha dog like Jordan turning over the decision on who to draft,sign,release to someone else even Jackson.. 

#13 cdandi1

cdandi1

Formerly JerryRich4Pres

• HUDDLER
  • 2,707 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:39 PM

Don't see it happening, even if Jackson was willing, and lets be honest he spends most of his time in Idaho or Montana not in LA these days.  Regardless I don't see Jordan giving up control of operations.  Jackson has let it be known he is interested in a Riley type job that he goes in late and leaves early and just makes the final decisions.  But that is what Jordan wants and does now also, don't see an alpha dog like Jordan turning over the decision on who to draft,sign,release to someone else even Jackson.. 

http://basketball.re...ors-Opportunity

"Jackson would prefer an advisory role similar to Jerry West's current position with the Golden State Warriors rather than a more active role similar to Pat Riley with the Miami Heat."

Though this article said Charlotte may not be in play, it does say that Jackson wants an advisory role NOT a Riley role, like Jerry West at Golden St.

#14 Manos

Manos

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:45 PM

Just a thought(no chance this happens but it's an interesting thought) if we could bring Pj into the front office then use him to bring in a big name coach and then offer Dwight Howard a max contract(outside the lakers we can give him the most money I believe) would you want Dwight as the centerpiece of the team? And to a lesser extent same question could apply to Bynum.

#15 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:10 PM

Glad he isnt looking for full control, because I'm actually happy with the front office right now.  If Phil wants to come in and take an advisory role, great, otherwise I'm fine leaving Cho in charge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users