Photo
- - - - -

Panthers select Oregon RB Kenjon Barner

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
288 replies to this topic

#286 Frank Hollywood

Frank Hollywood

Ultimate Troll

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:37 AM

He can break tackles for someone his size, i saw it a couple times in his videos.

He did break some, but seemed to go down very easily at first touch for most plays.

#287 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:50 AM

but you have to catch him first.

btw, i don't see it as avoiding contact, i see it as avoiding getting into situations where you can be tackled and looming for the path of least resistance to get the most gain on that run...and i don't have a problem with that. not everyone needs to be a battering ram to get where they want to go.

and running upright? he's scoping the field always looking for holes not just in front of him, but downfield. i saw someone say that he runs the ball like a returner and i think that's pretty much on target. he's looking for the best way to get down field and he's quite good at it.

i think he dropped because 1) RBs just aren't worth an early pick because you can get good ones in pretty much any round so they just don't carry the value and 2) because he doesn't run or is built like a traditional RB. he's a tweener like sproles, harvin, and austin. if he was a wideout he would have gone earlier, but he was an RB and used predominantly like one while in oregon. he's just like those other three, tho, because of how many ways he can be used. he's just not prototypical in size or usage...at least not yet. and by that i mean we're going to see more smaller and quick hybrid rb/wrs coming out and getting used more in the pros.

#288 dksmith17

dksmith17

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:41 PM

i saw someone say that he runs the ball like a returner and i think that's pretty much on target.

thats fair

I guess the difference is whether or not you think that style translates to NFL success. It appears the consensus among the scouts is that it typically doesn't.

#289 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:50 PM

thats fair

I guess the difference is whether or not you think that style translates to NFL success. It appears the consensus among the scouts is that it typically doesn't.

i think scouts are typically slow to adapt to new things and trends or just to thinking outside the box.

i absolutely think it will translate to the NFL. it all depends on the usage and situations. if he's asked to run like more traditional RBs, he's going to fail. if his natural talent is honed some and he's allowed the freedom to run that way it should succeed.

there's just a couple things i think needs to be really worked on...his route tree and his blocking. the rest i feel would just need to be fine tuned and used the right way.