12 replies to this topic

#1 Dollar Store Dave

Dollar Store Dave

Formerly Know As Ruff

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,192 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:46 PM

When Gettleman came in and gave his opening press conference, he talked about he prides himself on finding talent that no one else has. He prides himself on being the guy who gets these undiscovered gems. When I first heard that, I immediately became worried that, if he prides himself on these things, then he's going to start relying on these things to make a name for himself. I feel like that's where our 4th round pick came from.

Don't get me wrong, when I hear the people rave about him, it makes me feel a little better about the pick. But, is he any better than Amini? Amini is the same type of guy. Both dominated D2, but Amini definitely struggled to pick up the NFL game... He also had reports of lower test scores (the same as our newest Guard prospect).

With other players on the board, like JC Tretter (who got invited to the Senior Bowl, who definitely dominated the Ivy League), it seems like Gettleman wanted to grab a guy from Valdosta State to prove that he really can find the diamond in the rough.

I hope this doesn't become a trend.

#2 Keith Moons Liver

Keith Moons Liver

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:48 PM

amini was a much better prospect, that is why he was a 2nd rounder

#3 h0llywood

h0llywood

I HATE LUKE KUECHLY!

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,316 posts
  • LocationPasadena, CA

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:49 PM

Gettleman got us under the cap, signed Hixon and Ginn for pennies, made our front 7 something to fear, and looked to the future with drafting a LB and RB.

I'm not worried about him one bit.

#4 chknwing

chknwing

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,976 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:49 PM

I am completly satisfied with just fixing the swinging gate in the middle of our Dline that we have had for years. The rest of the draft is all bonus to me.

#5 GRWatcher

GRWatcher

visiting from Kepler-186f

• HUDDLER
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationStatesville

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:50 PM

No, what worries you (and other Huddlers apparently) is that Gettleman does exactly what he says he's going to do. You can't read the spaces between the lines because he leaves you none. IMO it's refreshing.

#6 Dollar Store Dave

Dollar Store Dave

Formerly Know As Ruff

• HUDDLER
  • 7,192 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:50 PM

Gettleman got us under the cap, signed Hixon and Ginn for pennies, made our front 7 something to fear, and looked to the future with drafting a LB and RB.

I agree. I think he's partially fixed the destruction that Hurney did to this team in what, four months? However, I don't think we need to just start snatching up D2 players in the middle of the draft when there's other, more proven guys there. that's all I'm saying.

But hey, I'm just a forum poster. What do I know?

#7 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,507 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:51 PM

Amini got way better as the season went along, those who say he was a bust or a bad pick must be blind or just hating.

Kugbila will take a bit of seasoning to become a starter, he's got good feet and long arms. Just need's to be taught up and Kugbila has a good understanding of football so him learning doesn't worry me. He was recruited by Alabama and other D1 schools, it's not his fault he came to the states at 10.

Hard to get up to speed with the way America's school system's are set up.

#8 SmashNDash

SmashNDash

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:53 PM

This franchise already had "Victor Cruz" syndrome (obsession with hitting a home run on a nobody), now it's been made even worse by bringing in the guy who helped find Cruz.

#9 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,266 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:54 PM

When Gettleman came in and gave his opening press conference, he talked about he prides himself on finding talent that no one else has. He prides himself on being the guy who gets these undiscovered gems. When I first heard that, I immediately became worried that, if he prides himself on these things, then he's going to start relying on these things to make a name for himself. I feel like that's where our 4th round pick came from.

Don't get me wrong, when I hear the people rave about him, it makes me feel a little better about the pick. But, is he any better than Amini? Amini is the same type of guy. Both dominated D2, but Amini definitely struggled to pick up the NFL game... He also had reports of lower test scores (the same as our newest Guard prospect).

With other players on the board, like JC Tretter (who got invited to the Senior Bowl, who definitely dominated the Ivy League), it seems like Gettleman wanted to grab a guy from Valdosta State to prove that he really can find the diamond in the rough.

I hope this doesn't become a trend.

He didn't talk anything about his ability for finding players in the rough. I have no clue what press conference you watched. He specifically stated that he was not a dictator who made all the decisions, but that the while staff made decisions together and no one was to claim credit for it.

And i don't understand all the Amini hate; he started out poorly, but his development really took a shot when Kalil went down and the entire line struggled. But he was playing much, much better by the last quarter of the season. I think if our new OG can develop our our last OG than we'll have a turned our poor guard play into a strength in no time.

#10 Fox007

Fox007

• HUDDLER
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:54 PM

Amini was on roller skates all season long....even when he was "improved" he merely went from total garbage to only sucking.

#11 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 9,725 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:58 PM

you dont take guys from small schools to "prove" anything but say you had him valued higher than remaining guys on the board. im worried cuz i dont like the draft or get it, but im not gonna go up in arms til i see the product on the field.

#12 iamcline

iamcline

Thou shalt not spilleth thy Red Bull!

• HUDDLER
  • 2,719 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:59 PM

Gettlemania is here to stay, and I'm on-board...for now.

#13 Leeroy Jenkins PhD

Leeroy Jenkins PhD

HCIC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationHouston Texas

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:06 PM

Every single player we drafted day 3 was scouted by the Patriots....

did we spend day 3 picking the Patriots pocket?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com