• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,627 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:03 PM

Pretty surreal to see a body bag being wheeled out on a stretcher 2 doors down. Just eerie.

It's the wife.

She was 88 but still.

#2 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,627 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:05 PM

Don't know why this is in the Tinderbox.

#3 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,958 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:38 PM

old habits....

#4 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 15,124 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:15 PM

Passed a carwreck on the highway one time and there was a body covered up with a tarp and just two feet hanging out. Freaked me out a bit

#5 bredy087

bredy087

The Comeback Kid

• HUDDLER
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:42 PM

My upstairs neighbor died in his sleep, saw them wheel him to the ambulance. I will never forget the way his body shook when the gurney hit the ambulance.

#6 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,709 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:34 PM

Got me thinking... I've actually seen more bodies resulting from a violent demise than I have natural or illness...

#7 Chimera

Chimera

Membrane

• HUDDLER
  • 10,854 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:36 PM

Got me thinking... I've actually seen more bodies resulting from a violent demise than I have natural or illness...

same here. great grandmother was the only natural death I've seen.

#8 Brokenbad

Brokenbad

Cam is my hero

• HUDDLER
  • 3,550 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:19 PM

I swear to god this is déjà vu,

I remember another thread with Anybodyhome and Mr Belding reflecting on the deaths they have seen.

Hats off to you gents, I survived three tours of Iraq and thankfully never saw a dead body.

#9 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 15,666 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:40 PM

When I was 19 or 20, I was driving down "the strip" of Fayetteville, coming back from the mall. It started POURING down rain. I stopped at a light and just happened to look over to my right and saw a truck drive over a curb and full speed up a small embankment (about 3-5 ft high) and slam into a light pole. But, that wasn't it...

This was just a lane or two over from me, traveling in the same direction, maybe about 10-15 ft. max. I hear the sound of the collision, and I'm thinking, "wow, that's crazy... must have been speeding and didn't see the light was red." Then as the truck slams into the lightpole and I'm looking through the rain, the door flies open and a lady limply falls out, face first. She falls out and starts rolling down the hill and the truck starts rolling backwards as well.

I started gasping for air, AUDIBLY... It shook me up. I've had guns pulled on me and laughed at it. I went to the bus stop as a kid to find a guy laying in a ditch that had been beaten half to death with a cinder block. But, none of those got to me like this. The light turned green at this point and I started to drive and kept gasping. I couldn't believe what I just saw and couldn't find any reasoning as to what happened and why.

I have no medical training and don't really know CPR either and I think my phone was either dead or I didn't have it with me. At the time, our daughter had just come home as a preemie and I was extremely focused on getting home to her and my wife. I just didn't think I could help at the time, but the older I've gotten, I've regretted not getting out and trying to help in some way. I don't know why, I just felt like I wouldn't have been a help. Plus, as I said, it was pouring rain and I would have had to cross over additional lanes in little to no visibility to get over there. There were people closer than me. It still bothers me and I still wonder what happened to her... I've questioned if maybe she had a heart attack and died before hitting the pole, I don't know, but her body just fell out of the truck as soon as she hit.

At the time, I just felt like someone else that saw it would be much more of a help than I could be. If it happened again, I would like to think I would act differently at this point in my life. Definitely creepy and I still can see it to this day.

#10 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

Speaking of seeing dead bodies, open casket funerals are weird and creepy as fug. I'm not sure how, when or why that tradition got started, but it needs to stop. When reflecting on the lost life of a loved one, a nice picture or two is plenty, I dont need to see the body sitting there looking freakishly off color and with makeup caked on

#11 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,388 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:48 PM

Thanksgiving 1987 I was driving back to Charleston from Savannah with my fiancee, her young kids and my cousin (also in the Navy) after spending the holiday with her family and the traffic suddenly stopped in front of us on US 17, about 5 miles from I 95. There was a Jetta in the road by itself, side bashed in. I came up to it and there was an older lady dead as a doorknob in the drivers seat.

The car that hit her had flipped and flew into a ditch on the other side of the road so it took a second to see it. Inside was a male passenger, dead, and the driver, moaning and trying to get out surrounded by beer cans littered on the ceiling (now the floor). I asked her to be still until help arrived but she was getting out so I helped her by pulling the seat back away. She ended up with maybe a broken rib. I wanted to kill her. Got home, put the lights on and discovered I had blood all over my shirt. I don't really have nightmares but I did for a few weeks after that.

#12 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,709 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:58 PM

Speaking of seeing dead bodies, open casket funerals are weird and creepy as fug. I'm not sure how, when or why that tradition got started, but it needs to stop. When reflecting on the lost life of a loved one, a nice picture or two is plenty, I dont need to see the body sitting there looking freakishly off color and with makeup caked on

This.

Nobody wants their last memory of seeing someone to be that last time in a casket. I'd much rather people remembered me when I was having a good time, when I was alive, when I looked like a real person.

Think about it... the last time you saw someone in an open casket funeral. Now, what's the first thing you think of when someone mentions that person's name? That's right- their face in that hideous, funeral home make-up is the first thing you think of.

Fug that. I have a living will that specifies no extraordinary measures and also spells out my cremation orders and exactly who to contact to take care of everything. My wife has the same thing.

#13 Chimera

Chimera

Membrane

• HUDDLER
  • 10,854 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

The funeral home gave my grandfather a goatee. he never wore facial hair in his life. im sure that, if he were able he would have shaved in those last few days of his life.

#14 catfang

catfang

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:13 PM

I was on Eastway Drive once when I was about 16 I guess. There was a bad wreck right in front me and we were all stopped in traffic. It had just happened and the EMTs had just gotten there. I was stuck and looked out the window at the road and there was a trail of blood running down the street right next to my car. I looked up and followed the blood towards the wreck and they were covering a body right then. I remember that as clear as day.

#15 catfang

catfang

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:16 PM

This.

Nobody wants their last memory of seeing someone to be that last time in a casket. I'd much rather people remembered me when I was having a good time, when I was alive, when I looked like a real person.

Think about it... the last time you saw someone in an open casket funeral. Now, what's the first thing you think of when someone mentions that person's name? That's right- their face in that hideous, funeral home make-up is the first thing you think of.

Fug that. I have a living will that specifies no extraordinary measures and also spells out my cremation orders and exactly who to contact to take care of everything. My wife has the same thing.

It started as a way for the family to obtain closure. I was raised Catholic (Irish Catholic) so I've been to a sh!tload of wakes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com