Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Panthers sign Robert Lester SS Alabama

73 posts in this topic

Posted

PUMPED

Posted

15th ranked safety according to draftcountdown

Leader and a winner. We need that.

Posted

The best S still available. Nice signing.

Posted

The sad part is Lester could legitimately be in the running for starter at SS and it really wouldn't surprise me if he won the job.

Posted

He was beasting early in his career at Alabama. Some thought he was on a path to being a 1st rounder

Posted

good UDFA

Posted

He was beasting early in his career at Alabama. Some thought he was on a path to being a 1st rounder

What happened to him that he became a udfa?

Posted

Strengths

NFL-caliber size and length. Possesses strong hands, height and vertical to high-point passes in jump-ball situations. Can also drop to the ground quickly to get his hands underneath low throws. Sticks his nose into the run game, drops his hips to stop the momentum of churning running backs up the middle. Finds creases to explode through as a blitzer. Uses his long, strong arms to trip up and wrap up ballcarriers coming into his area or wrestle them down from behind. Good hustle in coverage, will track down receivers over the middle.

Weaknesses

Not a quick-twitch athlete. High and stiff in his backpedal. Does not have elite hip flexibility to break down quickly as a tackler or turn and run with receivers downfield. Takes time to get to the sideline at times in cover-two and will take incorrect angles to the ball as a tackler and in coverage. Won’t catch faster receivers in trail coverage over the middle. Often doesn't take the proper angle to the ball in the run and pass game. Inconsistent.

NFL Comparison

James Butler

Bottom Line

Lester posses length, toughness, and ballskills. Lester has made some impact plays over his career at Alabama, but he also been troubled by maddening inconsistencies. His draft stock has dipped a bit throughout the season, but he will still be selected in the middle rounds.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/robert-lester?id=2539196

Posted

Even during the process, I remember him being talked about as a 3/4th at one point.

Posted

What happened to him that he became a udfa?

That is what I want to know. Everything I have read so far is pretty good. Goo ball hawk safety with and NFL ready frame.