Photo
- - - - -

Panthers sign Robert Lester SS Alabama

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
72 replies to this topic

#61 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

SUPPORTER

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:57 PM

As a UDFA, I love the signing. I wish we would've done more to truly address the safety position, but this is a quality UDFA signing.

#62 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:06 PM

As a UDFA, I love the signing. I wish we would've done more to truly address the safety position, but this is a quality UDFA signing.

Consider Lester as our 7th round pick.
I think that Lester is just as good as TJ McDonald who was drafted by the Rams in the 3rd round. Consider Lester a luck in UDFA.

I also think Lester is a better safety than DJ Campbell. Def better than NAKA and former Panthers Sherrod Martin.

#63 Swaggasaurus

Swaggasaurus

HUDDLER

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:12 PM

Consider Lester as our 7th round pick.
I think that Lester is just as good as TJ McDonald who was drafted by the Rams in the 3rd round. Consider Lester a luck in UDFA.

I also think Lester is a better safety than DJ Campbell. Def better than NAKA and former Panthers Sherrod Martin.

Right about the McDonald comparison of talent. I feel much better about signing Lester for nothing than spending a pick on McDonald

#64 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

SUPPORTER

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:23 PM

Do like.

#65 SIGCHI222

SIGCHI222

the illustrious potentate

HUDDLER

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:25 PM

This is like a SD.

#66 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

Moderators

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:26 PM

I like the signing of Lester. I remember him from a few years back and was surprised to see how he had fallen this year.

I will however wait to anoint him the savior of our secondary

#67 Kuech the Sneak

Kuech the Sneak

HUDDLER

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:31 PM

He could honestly make the team. Seriously

#68 Gallagher

Gallagher

Never Doubt Davis

SUPPORTER

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:17 PM

Love this signing. My money is on Godfrey, Campbell, Mitchell and Lester being the safeties on our roster come week 1. Sounds a bit like Sherrod Martin in terms of taking bad angles, but if he has the coverage skills to compete with Jones/Colston/Jackson then I'm 100% on board.

#69 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

HUDDLER

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:20 PM

Love this signing. My money is on Godfrey, Campbell, Mitchell and Lester being the safeties on our roster come week 1. Sounds a bit like Sherrod Martin in terms of taking bad angles, but if he has the coverage skills to compete with Jones/Colston/Jackson then I'm 100% on board.

I say hes a better player than Martin. Smarter player too being coached by Saban.

#70 frash.exe

frash.exe

Freddy Frashbear

HUDDLER

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:24 PM

if he sticks to his coverage assignments we should call him lester the molester

#71 Gallagher

Gallagher

Never Doubt Davis

SUPPORTER

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:30 PM

I say hes a better player than Martin. Smarter player too being coached by Saban.

I believe it. Can't really argue with his two national championships. Really excited this kid. Mid round talent as an UDFA. Rounds out the draft nicely.

#72 vorbis

vorbis

SUPPORTER

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:37 AM

hey guys, i just discovered a new species of primate, the tuscaloosa screaming bleacher macacq

#73 The Golden Child

The Golden Child

HUDDLER

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:16 AM

STRENGTHS: Possesses a long, lean build well-suited to today's pass-happy NFL. Reads the quarterback's eyes and is a smooth accelerator, showing a burst to close on underneath routes. Times his leaps well in jump-ball situations and extends his arms to make a play at its highest point. Excellent ball skills, including the ability to track the ball over his shoulder, extend to catch away from his frame and the ability to sneak his hands under the ball to corral pass deflections.

Athletic enough to occasionally drop down to cover slot receivers. Has the long arms to re-route receivers and is balanced enough to cover short distances. Reads run quickly and flashes aggression to support. Long, strong arms for the pull-down tackle and occasionally will lower his shoulder for the big hit. Highly respected by coaching staff for his work ethic.

WEAKNESSES: A bit of a 'tweener. May lack the athleticism for deep coverage and the physicality necessary to play well closer to the line of scrimmage. Does not possess ideal hip fluidity and foot quickness to operate as a true centerfielder against an NFL passing attack. Loses a step as he changes directions and does not have great speed to recover.

Does too much grabbing and dragging as an open-field tackler, and when he does attempt to lower the boom has a tendency to duck his head and lunge. Takes questionable angles to the ball, underestimating the speed of ball-carriers and not proving to be a reliable last line of defense.

COMPARES TO: Kerry Rhodes, FS, Arizona Cardinals: Like the 6-3, 212-pound Rhodes, Lester has the size, closing speed and ball skills to develop into a dependable ball-hawk at the next level

http://www.cbssports...1/robert-lester