52 replies to this topic

#31 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 8,630 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:14 PM

Yea i went back and watched all of his youtube videos. The ones that have vs whomever. Star is light years ahead on the initial burst and he rarely ever and i mean RARELY ever gets pushed back. I even saw a couple times he pancaked double teams. I saw multiple times Shariff getting pushed back and while he did show burst it wasn't consistent like Star.

For Star to learn to be a pass rusher will just be icing on the cake. Shariff will be a good player though.

#32 SauceBoss

SauceBoss

IT IS WHAT IT IS

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,256 posts
  • LocationGreenville, SC

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:15 PM

Kiper hated our draft. There's no reason to degrade us that bad based on what you said. Posted Image

#33 Illuminati704

Illuminati704

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationEarth, Solar System

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:24 PM

Kiper is an idiot. For a person who never played a down of football --- I'll never understand why there is any value in his opinions. Mcshay is really the only person I listen to on ESPN and he liked our draft. Half of these people are biased and make judgments based on personal feelings. I give our draft a B+, and there is no reason any of our opinions should be less consired than Kipers other than the national coverage aspect.

#34 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,403 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:31 PM

Anyone who holds even a shred of value in Mel Kipers "opinions" shouldn't bother posting.

#35 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,205 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

I don't care if anyone gives us an A+ or an F-, draft grading before anyone plays a snap is the most futile enterprise imaginable. It's like betting on the outcome of horse races before the horses are even born.

#36 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,662 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:26 PM

Did Kiper just say he didn't have guard as a need for the Panthers? Wow

#37 Man Strength

Man Strength

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:22 PM

http://www.cbssports...-like-em-or-not

Prisco at CBS isnt always right, but he is plugged into the scouting community. He is a Kugbila fan based on what he's heard.

Carolina Panthers

Best pick: I like the pick of defensive tackle Kawann Short in the second round. He is a wide body who will help in a big way in the middle.

Questionable move: Taking running back Kenjon Barner in the sixth round. How many runners do they need?

Third-day gem: Fourth-round guard Edmund Kugbila is a player I heard about early in the process; scouts loved his power and strength. He could pay off big.

Analysis: Dave Gettleman, in his first draft with the team, made this a big-man draft. He landed two good defensive tackles in Short and first-round pick Star Lotulelei. Solid start.

Grade: B-

#38 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

• HUDDLER
  • 4,770 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:56 PM

Kiper hated our draft. There's no reason to degrade us that bad based on what you said. Posted Image

Anyone who didn't have OG as a major need for the Panthers either didn't watch many Panthers games or is a complete moron. Kiper likely qualifies as both.

#39 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,207 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:02 PM

Third-day gem: Fourth-round guard Edmund Kugbila is a player I heard about early in the process; scouts loved his power and strength. He could pay off big.

It's all media stuff. My sources said the scouts hated him and the coaches loved him.

I've also been told he was 3-5 star recruit (whatever that means) out of high-school has the fastest feet of any guard in the draft and will be starter in 2013.

#40 Ruff

Ruff

Formerly Know As RufftownRepresent

• HUDDLER
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:12 PM

What I find hilarious is this: while I think we are overstocked at RB, who the hell is concerned with who you pick up in the middle of the sixth round? If you get a guy there that does nothing but returns punts and kicks, or is a punter or kicker, hell, you've done better than most teams and picked up someone who can contribute!

#41 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 14,101 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:40 PM

http://www.cbssports...-like-em-or-not

Questionable move: Taking running back Kenjon Barner in the sixth round. How many runners do they need?

In response to Prisco's comments, I don't think this means that we think we don't have enough runners, however I think it means the complete opposite. Barner was picked about 2 rounds after he was projected to go and the middle rounds right now are getting teams the best value out of runningbacks in the draft in recent years. If he turns into a decent complementary back, we can easily downsize at the position so we can afford to extend or sign other talented players at more critical positions.

#42 weymouthst

weymouthst

#1 zero

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:52 PM

They are just opinions, nothing more. I like to see how people perceive our decisions though, when compared to other teams. Just another facet of the draft.

#43 The Golden Child

The Golden Child

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:03 PM

Rob Rang

Like the Falcons, the Panthers identified their biggest area of concern and addressed it. The Panthers erased their biggest need with a "Star" who fell into their lap. Like Luke Kuechly a year ago, Lotulelei will prove an immediate difference-maker. His power could be complemented perfectly by the quickness from Kawann Short, a natural playmaker who fell to the second round only because of questons about his motor. Surrounded by this much talent, however, he could prove more productive than Lotulelei. The Panthers added intriguing talent with their other three picks. Linebacker A.J. Klein, like Short, was an absolute playmaker at Iowa State as was Oregon running back Kenjon Barner, whose first crack at playing time might come as a returner. Guard Edmund Kugbila could surprise, as he possesses intriguing tools. Grade: B

http://www.cbssports...fc-south-grades

#44 The Golden Child

The Golden Child

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:27 PM

Yahoo.com

Carolina Panthers
Picks: Star Lotulelei (Getty Images)DT Star Lotulelei, DT Kawann Short, G Edmund Kugbila, ILB A.J. Klein, RB Kenjon Barner.
Analysis: Given my own size and shape, I should probably like this draft a whole lot more than I do. If you like big men and trench warfare, this is your prototype draft. Really, if you know new Panthers GM Dave Gettleman and his background from with the Giants, this makes perfect sense. It’s not sexy, but it’s functional and necessary. There are still concerns long-term about health maintenance for Lotulelei, but he’s a big-time space-eater. Combine him with Short, and the Panthers will have no problems getting MLB Luke Kuechly free to run all over the field and make tackles. The Panthers' run defense, which has been awful the last two seasons, is now at least respectable. Finally, Barner could be really interesting in open offensive sets.
Grade: C+

#45 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

• HUDDLER
  • 3,633 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:51 PM

I've read a few reviews who count Revis as the Buc's first round pick. By that logic, shouldn't we get to count Alexander towards this years grade?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com