#1 OnlyPantherFaninMaine

OnlyPantherFaninMaine

All In.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,846 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:13 PM

Why did we workout and meet with tons of wide receivers throughout this whole process and not draft one? Was it all just one massive smokescreen? I figured by working out that many at least one would have been drafted by us. Did the cards just fall a different way where it didn't make sense?

Personally I am quite surprised we passed on Patton in the 5th round.

#2 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 16,490 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:15 PM

Panthers realized finding an eventual replacement for Smitty can't be done.
At least in this draft.

#3 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,405 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:15 PM

B
P
A

You have to prepare for everything and they clearly didn't think Star would drop in the first or Short in the second.

#4 IGSaint

IGSaint

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:16 PM

Lol your title is so apt. Why the fug did we work out so many wr receivers if we weren't going to chose any. It's ridiculous in hindsight, unless they worked out some in became udfas.

#5 SooSlow84

SooSlow84

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • LocationYour mother's basement

Rivera said the plan was to address DT all along. Whether he meant the first two rounds, who knows. I think they weren't blown away by any wr prospect.

#6 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,485 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

I think the answer is two fold.

1) None of the receivers impressed us enough to where we assigned particularly high value to any of them. I think if most huddlers are honest with themselves, they will agree that this was the one of the weakest WR classes in recent history. I mean honestly, a 5'8' receiver is the first one off the board?!?!

2) There was some serious value in the trenches for our earlier picks, and we obviously didn't feel like adding more "camp bodies", to a position that's already deep with "camp bodies", in the later rounds, so we decided to draft depth in positions that were lacking in such - excluding RB of course, but the running Duck was just to much value to leave on the table.

#7 SauceBoss

SauceBoss

IT IS WHAT IT IS

• HUDDLER
  • 2,181 posts
  • LocationGreenville, SC

Tons of players always get worked out. We worked out QBs too.

#8 Saxist Fed

Saxist Fed

halt the tomfoolery

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Locationthe.black.lodge

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:18 PM

It was a case of both bpa and this being a lackluster wr class. If Hunter was there in the 2nd, he would be ours but that's about the only realistic wideout in retrospect that I could have seen us getting.

#9 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• HUDDLER
  • 6,197 posts

Yea, I think they just worked out like 20 WRs searching, HOPING for one to be worthy of our pick. And they didn't find one, not one that was available at any of our picks anyway. My biggest hope was that Hunter was going to be there at 44. He was our best shot. But he wasn't. I'm not displeased we didn't get a WR this year. Next year should be better for WRs, next year is when it'll start getting important to address WR. Next year we'll know better what we have in Hixon, Gettis, Adams, etc.

#10 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,485 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

I think our workouts were very indicative of the fact that we WANTED to upgrade our receiver position, outside of Smitty, and we realized that all of the receivers sucked - for various reasons. I think this is why we chose to work out so many, because we couldn't fine any that impressed.

#11 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 23,230 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:24 PM

I think the answer is two fold.

1) None of the receivers impressed us enough to where we assigned particularly high value to any of them. I think if most huddlers are honest with themselves, they will agree that this was the one of the weakest WR classes in recent history. I mean honestly, a 5'8' receiver is the first one off the board?!?!

2) There was some serious value in the trenches for our earlier picks, and we obviously didn't feel like adding more "camp bodies", to a position that's already deep with "camp bodies", in the later rounds, so we decided to draft depth in positions that were lacking in such - excluding RB of course, but the running Duck was just to much value to leave on the table.

Coming to post this.

nvm

well said

#12 SIGCHI222

SIGCHI222

the illustrious potentate

• HUDDLER
  • 3,914 posts
  • LocationShelby

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:24 PM

Gettleman walks to the beat of a different drummer.

Watch, next year we will think the guys we have PWO's with won't get drafted, and he will pick every one.

The dude is crafty like some kind of Bahstan Majishan.

Oh yeah.................................................................................................................................................Hog Molly.

#13 TruthVsComfort

TruthVsComfort

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:26 PM

Hopefully the 2014 draft will have more #1 WR talent that we can benefit from. How many more seasons does the greatest Panther of all time have left? Regardless, I believe we really need that future #1 WR next year.

#14 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:30 PM

They worked out WR but found better value in the FA market. When Ginn was signed I thought we still might go WR. But when Hixon was signed after the workouts I knew we might not draft one.

#15 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• HUDDLER
  • 7,797 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:32 PM

They worked out WR but found better value in the FA market. When Ginn was signed I thought we still might go WR. But when Hixon was signed after the workouts I knew we might not draft one.

We literally picked BPA from the list they made. I think it was just a coincidence we didn't take a WR.

I said all along we would pick BPA regardless of position (well maybe QB aside). But good call KKL on the 2 DT picks. Really excited about these guys and our future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.