#1 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,952 posts
  • Location704

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:16 AM

Including two first rounders and the first running back selected.

HOW 'BOUT THEM TARHEELS

UNC is the top football program in the state. With the selections of Williams and Cooper, this gives UNC the most first rounders drafted from any ACC school since 2008. We already are the #1 basketball program in the state and a serious contender for top program in the country. Oh yeah, the men's LAX team is playing in the championship game AND the baseball team is #1 in the USA.

If a list were to be made ranking the schools according to basketball and football, UNC would be in the top 10 and maybe top 5 NATIONALLY. If a list were to be made ranking all the men's teams, UNC would be #1 NATIONALLY.

Here's a little info for the HATERS:

North Carolina running back Giovani Bernard was selected by the Cincinnati Bengals in the second round (No. 37 overall) and offensive tackle Brennan Williams was picked up nearly three hours later in the third round (No. 89 overall) by the Houston Texans in the NFL Draft on Friday.
Bernard was the first running back selected in this year's draft. He's the first Tar Heel to achieve that feat.
"I think he's a complete player," Cincinnati running backs coach Hue Jackson told reporters following the pick. "If anything were to happen, this guy could carry the load. I really think he can. I watched every game he played this year and worked him out. He has that skill set he can be an every-down player."
The Davie, Fla. product earned third-team All-America honors in 2012 and was selected first-team All-ACC for the second consecutive season. Bernard finished one vote shy of tying Clemson quarterback Tajh Boyd for ACC Player of the Year in his sophomore season last fall.
“Gio is a tremendous talent who is a terrific person off the field,” UNC head coach Larry Fedora said in a school release. “He is an outstanding playmaker who did everything he could to help our team win. Playing in our offense, he was able to showcase his skills as a versatile running back, rushing for more than 1,000 yards and catching the ball out of the backfield.”
Bernard ran for 1,228 yards and 12 touchdowns on 184 carries and caught 47 balls for 490 yards and five touchdowns. The 5-foot-8, 200-pounder also returned 16 punts for 263 yards and two touchdowns, including the 74-yard game-winner over N.C. State with 13 seconds to play in October.
Bernard's 198.1 all-purpose yards per game set a UNC single-season record. His 19 touchdowns were tied for second-most in single-season school history, two scores shy of Don McCauley's 21 set in 1970.
Williams became the second UNC offensive lineman selected in this year's draft, marking the first time two Tar Heel linemen were drafted since 1985. Guard Jonathan Cooper was selected seventh overall by the Arizona Cardinals on Thursday.
“I’m excited for Brennan and we’re proud of his accomplishments,” Fedora said. “He’s a good kid who has the size, strength and mobility to be a very good player at the next level.”
The 6-foot-6, 318-pound tackle, hailing from West Roxbury, Mass., earned 2012 honorable mention All-ACC honors despite missing the final four games of his senior season following shoulder surgery for a torn labrum.
“Brennan was a guy that we targeted early in the draft, in the process," Houston offensive line coach John Benton said. "He impressed us off of film. He’s a big man; he’s got long arms, two big things that you look for. He’s really a pretty good athlete from that standpoint, but I really liked his play-style. I thought he fit what we did. He’s aggressive. He’s a finisher. He’s really a pretty physical player, just as he is. He’s very, very active, which is something that we really value around here."

Here's a quote from the N&O regarding the tremendous journey from FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICK Sly Williams. His life story could be made into a movie.

UNC’s Sylvester Williams reassembled his life[color=inherit !important][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif !important]
The work wasn’t bad, not for someone who barely graduated from high school and couldn’t name five presidents, or identify most states on a map. Sylvester Williams made about $400 per week at the Modine Manufacturing factory in Jefferson City, Mo., double what he earned at Taco Bell.[/font][/color]
This is how his journey to North Carolina and the NFL began, with long nights on an assembly line, building radiators for heavy-duty trucks. Punch the clock at 10:30 p.m. Leave at 7 in the morning. Stand all night. Inside a factory, there isn’t much time for talking. Conversations are internal. And so Williams often asked himself: Is this what I want to do with my life? (News & Observer)

I'm also sure you've read the rave reviews #7 OVERALL Jonathan Cooper has been getting from all the draft gurus like Mel Kiper, Mike Mayock, and Jon Gruden. He is a superstar and will probably be the best G in the NFL in a year or two.

Not bad for a "basketball school"

HOW SWEET IT IS

Posted Image

#2 thunderraiden

thunderraiden

Thunder God Member

• HUDDLER
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:39 AM

I swear UNC has more fans that never went to the school than Dook has...

#3 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 13,952 posts
  • Location704

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:42 AM

Love the edit!

ECU won a post season championship in college basketball this year. That's more than ANY school in the state can say!

#4 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 13,952 posts
  • Location704

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:44 AM

Also - here is the NFL draft profile on Kevin Reddick. It's insulting he wasn't drafted.

http://www.nfl.com/d...dick?id=2539271

#5 Nicbsbll2

Nicbsbll2

• HUDDLER
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:54 AM

All that talent and you haven't won a conference championship since 1980. (And no, you did not win the Coastal this season. That title goes to Georgia Tech).

#6 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• HUDDLER
  • 12,187 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:56 AM

All that talent and you haven't won a conference championship since 1980. (And no, you did not win the Coastal this season. That title goes to Georgia Tech).

This! Amazing how much talent comes out of UNC and they cant even win a ACC championship.

#7 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 13,952 posts
  • Location704

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:00 PM

UNC would have played in the ACC championship game LY if not for the program probation.

UNC is a legit ACC title contender this season.

Keep an eye on Quinshad Davis this year. Many experts (myself included) are predicting a break out season this year bursting out on the national scene.

#8 Nicbsbll2

Nicbsbll2

• HUDDLER
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:06 PM

UNC would have played in the ACC championship game LY if not for the program probation.

UNC is a legit ACC title contender this season.

Keep an eye on Quinshad Davis this year. Many experts (myself included) are predicting a break out season this year bursting out on the national scene.

Would've, could've, should've. But you didn't. That's all that matters about last year.

And that's very debatable about being a title contender this year. You lost the guy that made your offense go (Bernard) and you lost your best offensive lineman (Cooper). Plus you lost your best players defensive players (Sly Williams and Kevin Riddick) from an already bad defense.

#9 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,435 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:09 PM

5 picks eh? How cute.

#10 cavic7585

cavic7585

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:12 PM

#11 BuckNaked

BuckNaked

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:14 PM

I thought this was the panthers forum.

#12 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 13,952 posts
  • Location704

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:15 PM

Would've, could've, should've. But you didn't. That's all that matters about last year.

And that's very debatable about being a title contender this year. You lost the guy that made your offense go (Bernard) and your lost your best offensive lineman (Cooper). Plus you lost your best players defensive players (Sly Williams and Kevin Riddick) from an already bad defense.

Your first sentence is incorrect. Carolina's hands were tied and it would have been extremely easy for a team to quit on a new coach who had nothing to play for. Tremendous resolve from the guys last season!

Many people feel that Morris could end up being better than Gio. I don't. We have plenty of depth on both sides of the ball and Bryn Renner is going to have an ACC POY type season.

Look at this schedule: http://www.fbschedul...ll-schedule.php

UNC may only lose 2 games!

#13 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 13,952 posts
  • Location704

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:19 PM

5 picks eh? How cute.

The school record is 9 from the 2011 NFL draft.

#14 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 13,952 posts
  • Location704

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:23 PM

Carolina puts players in the pros in all three major sports. That is a fact.

#15 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,435 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:24 PM

The school record is 9 from the 2011 NFL draft.

Yes, we're all aware of why you couldn't play in the post season.

Meanwhile, just another day in the life:

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.