Photo
- - - - -

Top Dawg's annual If-Smitty-Goes-Down-We're-Fugged Post (with a twist)

Carolina Panthers

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#31 Fan01

Fan01

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:33 PM

Posted Image

#32 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,871 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

I'll start with the positive, yes Steve does and should draw the opposing teams top cover guy. No question Smitty is top dog and one of the finest receivers in the league over the last decade.

With that said, LaFell's job is to beat the defense he's facing and he has done that quite well. To say he doesn't make plays suggests to me that you may be blind. Youtube some Panther highlight videos and you will see LaFell all over the place making circus catches, breaking tackles, and doing much of the same impossible Smitty serves up. You can't say the kid can't play when all he's done is put stats that are superior in Smitty's in many ways against weaker coverage. I would expect his stats to drop when facing the top corner as Smitty does, how much, who knows? The fact is they could drop quite a bit and he would still be in Smitty's neigborhood stat wise. Another fact is LaFell does make plays when given the opportunity, go watch some game film or highlight reels to remind yourself of this please.

My thing is is that LaFell disappears at stretches at a time not only during the game, but during the season. He really doesn't strike fear in anyone. Indeed, he only has one 100 yard game in three seasons. Now compare (which I have done) this to other legitimate WR2s, and you'll see that LaFell is decidedly average. Believe me, I have heard all the arguments and rationalizations before. When you compare LaFell to the WR1s or WR2s of the top teams, he always ends up on the weaker side of the equation in most categories. It is my contention that he is a WR3 who plays up to a WR2's potential, but he has never had a go-to WR type game. And, one 91 yard catch on Christmas Eve against a suspect defense doesn't cut the mustard. Neither do circus catches which I'd gladly give up for the consistency that other young WRs have displayed at least one time in their career.

#33 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 19,132 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:39 PM

I still don't think we're done with free agency

#34 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,828 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:41 PM

Posted Image

him getting arrested and suspended tells me he won't be a choice.

#35 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,828 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:42 PM

I still don't think we're done with free agency

agreed. the second wave of cuts is just around the corner. it happens every year after the draft.

going to be some more WRs, DBs, and OL let go.

#36 countryboi

countryboi

• HUDDLER
  • 2,322 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC born and raised

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:33 PM

smith has gone down before....and guess what we were fugged. all the changes in the coaching staff and front office and they are making the same dumb ass mistakes.

#37 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,079 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

smith has gone down before....and guess what we were fugged. all the changes in the coaching staff and front office and they are making the same dumb ass mistakes.

techincally, the one year Smith went down....our QB had the best individual season of his career.

#38 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,251 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:48 PM

techincally, the one year Smith went down....our QB had the best individual season of his career.

Oh snap.....No reason for Huddlers to let facts get in the way.

#39 weymouthst

weymouthst

#1 zero

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:48 PM

OP's opinion is irrelevant. Smitty is ageless, and only becomes stronger and less injury prone as each season comes and goes.

We've nothing to worry about.

#40 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 9,044 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:22 PM

name a team that lost their #1 wideout and still went deep in playoffs. there are players that would impact us more with an injury than Smith would.

#41 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,079 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:10 PM

name a team that lost their #1 wideout and still went deep in playoffs. there are players that would impact us more with an injury than Smith would.

Outside of Cam....name one

#42 countryboi

countryboi

• HUDDLER
  • 2,322 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC born and raised

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:35 PM

muhsin muhammad is not walking though that door if steve goes down. hell if he was we wouldnt be complaining.

#43 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,079 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:43 PM

muhsin muhammad is not walking though that door if steve goes down. hell if he was we wouldnt be complaining.

Just playing devils advocate here....

2,245 yards, 7 TDs

Vs

1,758 yards, 8 TDs

One is LaFell the last 3 years and the other is Moose the 3 seasons before Smith went down. I don't think any of Moose's biggest fans saw that 2004 season happening.

#44 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,497 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:46 PM

Good teams add steady talent....

You add steady talent you can end up with Mike Wallace's, Steve Smith's, DeSean Jackson's, Greg Jennings'. I'm sure you didn't see any of them either.

and sometimes....AJ Green....is actually Braylon Edwards. Draft is always a gamble. With a young franchise QB....you are suppose to play the game and gamble for some talent.

We have added steady talent each year. 3 years ago we added LaFell, Pilares and Gettis, 2 years ago it was Olsen. Last year it was Adams, Murphy. This year it is Ginn. And those are just players who were either drafted or we use draft picks to acquire them. In free agency we added Shockey 3 years ago, 2 years ago we added Nannee. This year we added Hixon and are still not done. This isn't the whole list but just those we expected to play well and compete for either the number 2 wide receiver or were added to complement the passing game.
To say we haven't added anyone or tried to give Newton weapons is just naïve at best.

#45 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 6,871 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:46 PM

Outside of Cam....name one

That's what I'm saying. 89 is still a critical key to this offense. That's great, but it's kinda sad when you can't say that about anyone else but Cam. Of course there is an argument for Olsen, but that's because there is no other proven home run hitter at WR.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Carolina Panthers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.