Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So Many Are Worried About Our Offense...I Just Don't See The Problem

52 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Zod' timestamp='1367256606' post='2217210']

Chud's career skyrocketed from TE Coach to NFL Head Coach in a matter of a few years.

Compare that to Shula.
[/quote]and how long did it take for someone to want to give him another shot at an OC job? sure wasn't a decade.

lot's of hopes and dreams with little to back it up about shula.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Yeah that dinosaur Kalil what will we do, lol wtf he's barely older than me.

People can cover their ears if they want about our WR situation but we are taking a gamble this year.

Posted · Report post

Chud's career skyrocketed from TE Coach to NFL Head Coach in a matter of a few years.

Compare that to Shula.
[/quote]He also is know for having 1 great year then losing his mind the next year.

Posted · Report post

Compare that to Shula.
[/quote]
Geez, I guess getting all the credit for Cam's development had nothing to do with that, did it?

Posted · Report post

I'm not trying to be negative I hope you guys are right. I just have strong concerns with the O Line being better than 20th in the league.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/28/ranking-the-2012-offensive-lines/

If the line is below average our backs will not get to flourish. Furthermore, I do not consider Brandon a legit number 2 in today's NFL. I like him and I think 600 yards or whatever is respectable but we need more.

Posted · Report post

You guys can be as cynical and negative as you want to be, but keeping Shula allows us not to completely scrap an offense for a new one forcing a likely regression on that side of the ball as the players will have a curve. I think its suggestive to say that about Chud b/c he regressed from an OC in CLE, to a TE Coach in SD, Ron brought him here drafted Cam and the rest is history. If you guys think Chud will be the next Sean Payton in CLEVELAND I wouldn't hold your breath.

Shula was last an OC with the likes of Shaun King iirc running the show, I'll reserve judgement.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='pepaw' timestamp='1367257136' post='2217228']
I'm not trying to be negative I hope you guys are right. I just have strong concerns with the O Line being better than 20th in the league.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/28/ranking-the-2012-offensive-lines/

If the line is below average our backs will not get to flourish. Furthermore, I do not consider Brandon a legit number 2 in today's NFL. I like him and I think 600 yards or whatever is respectable but we need more.
[/quote]

Losing Kalil wrecked our offensive line, which was the 9th ranked unit in 2011. Without him, Silatolu lost his security blanket to the right, Hangartner was shuffled back and forth betwene C and G, and played worse at both, Bell was himself moved from RT to G and back (although he improved slightly on his rookie year) and Gross had to take on the role of OL leader. It was an absolute mess, and hopefull any lingering effects are minimal. However, Silatolu improved as the season progressed, we drafted a potential replacement for Hangartner, Bell should continue to improve, and Gross can focus on handling his own job and not running the whole line again.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='SetfreexX' timestamp='1367253989' post='2217126']
The offense averaged 28.8 ppg (through the final 6), compared to 18.8 (through the first 10)...There was a graphic that displayed during the draft (Rd 1 I believe) that illustrated this. All this uproar about weapons, weapons, weapons is currently unwarranted.

When Chud got his head out his ass trying to run the read option as our base running game and we returned to more traditional runs the offense became much more effective, opening up play-action opportunities and easier reads as defenses had to begin to respect the run.

We've all seen what out WR's/HB's can do when healthy, and properly utilized-

Smitty: +1,100 yds each the last two seasons

Olsen: 843 yds (as the feature TE, ranked 10th best in the NFL at the position [url="http://www.footballnation.com/content/the-2012-13-final-nfl-tight-end-rankings/22410/"]http://www.footballnation.com/content/the-2012-13-final-nfl-tight-end-rankings/22410/[/url] )

LaFell: 677 yds (in his first full season as a starter as the 3rd option)

Hixon: 567 yds as the 3rd option in an crowded NYG receiving corps.

Gettis: 508 yds in his lone healthy season, with a revolving door full of untalented QB's as the 2nd/3rd option during the lame duck season and "Fox Ball" (ACL-now two yrs removed should be at 100%--Gettis is my X-Factor this season, and Panthers come back player of the year)

Factoring in an infusion of talent in our return men roles with the additions of Ginn and Barner, as much as Adams may improve I think he'll like just spell those two. But even in that scenario our offense should enjoy better field position from an improved special teams unit.

So while we did not draft offensively the way many of us were thinking/hoping (myself included), we really aren't as weak on offense as many of our fellow huddler's/experts would expect you to believe.

And keep in mind everything above does not even include getting Kalil back on the O-Line, and Williams/Stewart/Tolbert all coming back healthy, homerism aside I'd say any defensive coordinator is going to have their hands full scheming to keep all the talent we have in check.
[/quote]

Well put sir

Posted · Report post

My concern is the OC, not the players.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Gettis returning to full strength would be a huge plus for this team. I have dreams of him and LaFell on the outside, with Smitty in the slot

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Jackofalltrades' timestamp='1367258079' post='2217259']
[/quote]
this is a valid concern that many people seem to be looking over
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Jackofalltrades' timestamp='1367258079' post='2217259']
[/quote]same here.

the only reason he has the job was so we didn't need to change what we were doing. we settled.

i'm just really hoping he doesn't hold the team back.