So Many Are Worried About Our Offense...I Just Don't See The Problem

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#11 Panthersguru14

Panthersguru14

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:00 PM

There was also a run on WR ahead of us. (At least all of the good ones)

#12 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationNonya
HUDDLER

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:07 PM

So you think that Shula will be better than Chud? Remember Rivera isn't an offensive guy so it's all on Shula. You can blame Chud all you want but the fact remains Rivera is still the head coach.

If Chud was fuging up the offense then Rivera is just as much to blame and he's still here.

No I think he will be smarter then Chud. I think he will use a power set Run game to take pressure off Cam and the OLine. Instead of doing the (Chud) move of trying to reinvent the wheel and having a whole offense based around the Read Option. I think he will have Cam under center and let him do audibles unlike Chud. I Shula will have more of a connection to the roster and the rest of the coaching staff then Chud did.

#13 SetfreexX

SetfreexX

• PipPipPipPip
  • LocationNC
HUDDLER

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:07 PM

I see that our defense was ranked higher than our offense last year. But 4/5 picks went to one side of the ball and 90% of our picks since Rivera arrived has all been defense. Now don't get me wrong I'm excited about our defense but you can't forget the other side of the ball.

Rivera said at the end of the season it was a priority to surround Cam with weapons. This leads me to believe he doesn't think we have enough on the roster already. The only additions were Hixon and Ginn. One is a decent receiver and the other a bust. Not exactly weapons

Understandable, but take yourslf back to Cam's rookie year, and even last season where our defense lacked 2nd and 3rd level talent and depth (we witnessed this with injuries to Davis, R. Edwards, Beason, Gamble, etc.)

Meanwhile iirc in Cam's rookie season our offense was top 8 (I want to say 5 but I don't want to embelish), and following last year down the stretch we returned to being one of the most explosive offenses in the NFL, and considering only Smitty/Williams will be 30+ as far as offensive weapons go we are young and talented offensively.

Our run defense was one of the worst in the league for both seasons, while we actually finished last season up top 15 vs the pass. We HAD to solidify the middle of our defense, and given only five draft selections (due to the previous GM) we maximized the opportunity to do just that solidifying our front seven for years to come especially if we retain Hardy.

And while Ginn busted as a 1st round receiver, he is still one of the more dangerous returnmen in the game a fact you shouldn't over look. He wasn't brought in to be the future, but he improves a very dismal aspect of our team which has the opportunity to put up points independently of our offense, that is a win for me. And who's to say that on underneath, vertical seams, and bubbles he can't contribute, because this offense last season lacked that threatening speed he possesses (not including Smith).

Hixon imo is just another vet who can come in and work and push LaFell to continue to improve as well as Gettis, he has hardware, he knows how be a pro, he worked with one of the best quarterbacks in the league, it would be silly to NOT believe that he will not help mentor our young receivers while also contributing at honestly what is likely the deepest position on our team (which has never been the case before--barring health).

#14 SetfreexX

SetfreexX

• PipPipPipPip
  • LocationNC
HUDDLER

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:08 PM

*Double Post*

#15 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• LocationLa Grange, NC
SUPPORTER

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:10 PM

We didn't have the resources to dedicate to finding Smitty's replacement in the draft this year. By the time the draft came around to where we could afford to take a chance on one there simply weren't any available with the potential upside. Rather than grabbing a 5th round body to compete in a crowded group, we addressed other areas.

Next draft will almost certainly be the "find a Smitty replacement" draft.

#16 AceBoogie

AceBoogie

LiveStrong

HUDDLER

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:14 PM

*Double Post*

Your right like I said dont get me wrong I'm excited about the defense, but you have to find away to surround your qb with guys that can take it the distance every time.

#17 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:14 PM

what happens when we lose smitty...and i'm not talking about when he retires in a year or two or whatever...but when he gets hurt and has to miss significant time again.

we've been lucky the last couple years, but i don't anticipate that luck to hold out much longer. he plays too hard and takes harder hits than anyone. at some point he's going to break again. i hope not, but that has to be expected and planned for.

so when that happens, and you have to approach it as WHEN and not IF, what do we do? who do we turn to?

#18 AceBoogie

AceBoogie

LiveStrong

HUDDLER

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:17 PM

No I think he will be smarter then Chud. I think he will use a power set Run game to take pressure off Cam and the OLine. Instead of doing the (Chud) move of trying to reinvent the wheel and having a whole offense based around the Read Option. I think he will have Cam under center and let him do audibles unlike Chud. I Shula will have more of a connection to the roster and the rest of the coaching staff then Chud did.

All valid points and I hope your right. The main mistake I think this team is making tho is waiting to find Smittys replacement. I want a guy on the roster that can replace him now. That would make him that much dangerous. Like ATL with Julio and Roddy both are #1s.

#19 Dash Global

Dash Global

HUDDLER

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:24 PM

There is 1 problem that is easy to see. We have a new OC that was bad as an OC.

#20 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• LocationNonya
HUDDLER

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:25 PM

what happens when we lose smitty...and i'm not talking about when he retires in a year or two or whatever...but when he gets hurt and has to miss significant time again.

we've been lucky the last couple years, but i don't anticipate that luck to hold out much longer. he plays too hard and takes harder hits than anyone. at some point he's going to break again. i hope not, but that has to be expected and planned for.

so when that happens, and you have to approach it as WHEN and not IF, what do we do? who do we turn to?

What a Stupid argument.
You can say that about a few position. What if OLsen, Gross, or Cam goes down??? We would be fuged. You could have drafted a WR in the 1st round and if Smitty goes down we would still be fuged!! There wasn't a WR in this draft that could have replace Smitty if he goes down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users