Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

The player that the beefed up front could help the most...

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#16 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,313 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:08 AM

I hope that's the lineup we go with. Norman (1) and Florence (2). As good as Thomas and Dockery played late last season, I'm still not comfortable with them as starter. Norman and Florence gives us better size.

#17 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

• HUDDLER
  • 5,294 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:21 AM

rotoworld...

The Charlotte Observer expects Josh Thomas to play behind Josh Norman this season.

Norman struggled as a fifth-round rookie last season, ending up benched in favor of Thomas to close out the year. But he has significantly more upside and has been talked up relentlessly by GM Dave Gettleman. Regardless, the Panthers' secondary is going to be one for fantasy owners to exploit once again. A cornerback quartet of Norman, Drayton Florence, Captain Munnerlyn and Thomas just isn't going to cut it.

#18 AceBoogie

AceBoogie

LiveStrong

• HUDDLER
  • 4,454 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:26 AM

I think he's overly confident, he doesn't lack confidence at all. He's arrogant and last year he believed he was better than he actually was. He got benched and hopefully humbled lets see how he bounces back.

#19 Rubi

Rubi

Squid Smasher

• HUDDLER
  • 2,302 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:50 PM

it's definitely up for debate. info from another thread...

I think Norman lost his spot towards the end if I remember correctly

#20 SuperMan

SuperMan

I'm always holding back.

• HUDDLER
  • 2,265 posts
  • LocationRaleigh,NC

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:52 PM

Josh Norman..

Reading the tea leaves... He could be the #1 with Florence across from him at #2. Munny and Moore rotating at Nickel with Thomas and Dockery rotating in as needed. 6 active CBs and the most ideal 2 deep or is it just totally off?

A great front can make a decent CB look great. The pressure could play right into Normans natural skill set, which is finding the ball on his side of the field.

If Norman can level his game and begin to play with both discipline and confidence maybe we will see some of that promise in camps last year on Sunday. Call me an optimist but I still have hope for his prospects and truly believe he should've learned a lot from all of his experiences last year (i.e the embarrassment of being benched after he ran his mouth all year)

Heres hoping we have a legit top corner on the roster next year.

Florence will not start.... I will actually be surprised if he makes the final roster.

#21 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,619 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:58 PM

Florence will not start.... I will actually be surprised if he makes the final roster.

lol

#22 SuperMan

SuperMan

I'm always holding back.

• HUDDLER
  • 2,265 posts
  • LocationRaleigh,NC

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:03 PM

I hope that's the lineup we go with. Norman (1) and Florence (2). As good as Thomas and Dockery played late last season, I'm still not comfortable with them as starter. Norman and Florence gives us better size.

In what way does that give us better size?

Thomas is 5' 11 190 4.5 40

Dockery is 6'1 190 4.44 40

Norman is 6'0 193 4.5 40

Florence is 6'0 193 4.4 40 (probably closer to 4.6 now)

If size is your argument you don't have much of one....

Add in the fact that Florence is 32 injury prone and has defiantly lost a step.

Between the two combos you have the same average height....

#23 Snake

Snake

swagaholic

• HUDDLER
  • 11,559 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:47 PM

I think our secondary is still weak but more pressure is not a bad thing. This team needs two good off seasos to be relevant and we have only had one. Adding some ball hawks didn't hurt either.

#24 SuperMan

SuperMan

I'm always holding back.

• HUDDLER
  • 2,265 posts
  • LocationRaleigh,NC

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:52 PM

I would much rather have a monstrous front seven and a weak secondary than the other way around.... 

example Dashon Goldson he is incredibly overated and people will see that this season now that he isn't playing behind the niners front 7.

#25 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:08 PM

It's not as if our pass rush was bad last year.  The key for our pass defense will be stopping the run.  Stopping the run = dictating what the opposing offense can do.  To get sacks, interceptions, getting off the field in general requires obviously passing situations.  We had relatively very few of those last year.

#26 Razeyfingers

Razeyfingers

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:20 PM

Corner is such a ridiculously hard position to learn. Its like a miracle when you find a decent one with a year under his belt. Theyre already fighting a losing battle since the league wants touchdowns. Rules committees are making sure of that. Receivers are trained to use the slightest fault in theyre technique against them. Things like being soft with your hands will get you owned over and over again even if you have the speed to be in every play.

We're in a pretty good spot though. Massive front seven, lost a badass corner and got a decent replacement to protect the 1, safety has competition at least, and the 2 will be up for grabs from Thomas or Norman.

32 is not old for a corner btw, its up there but its not out of their prime. Champs is doing just fine at 34 or 35 right now and Darrell Green was tackling running backs and covering Megatron sized receivers until he was 42.

#27 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,043 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:27 PM

Agree that it helps the secondary the most, Norman was playing not to get beat last year (which as usual results in getting beat). The quicker we can collapse the pocket the less he has to worry about getting beat. 

#28 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,654 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:09 PM

He needs to press and not give 7 - 10 yard cushions to top WR's.

However, if he was getting beat over the top everyone would be whining about that.

maybe he isn't pressing bc the 6th rounder is worried he lacks the ability to defend?

people got overinfatuated with him....thinking trash talk meant skill

#29 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,654 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:16 PM

Agree that it helps the secondary the most, Norman was playing not to get beat last year (which as usual results in getting beat). The quicker we can collapse the pocket the less he has to worry about getting beat.

no team generated better pressure than us last year.....yet that is 95% of the talk about how to fix our secondary issue.

#30 The Huddler

The Huddler

St. Thomas Aquinas

• HUDDLER
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationRadford University

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:18 PM

best answer. U think norman can bounceback?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com