Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chef17

What did you see to support the claim our secondary improved over the course of last season?

93 posts in this topic

You telling me my mom can help my fears isn't answering the question. Not once have you provided any reason as to how the secondary improved so please tell me how you have you have tried to answer it three times. Only two people actually answered the question. One I disagreed with. The other I asked him another question, he answered it, and I thanked him because he provided what was asked. That isn't refuting every opinion.

I think I'm understanding the philosophy they are going for. They already said, shutdown corners are very hard to find, and shutting down any receiver these days is next to impossible with the rules that favor offense. We've horded small, but "playmaker" corners, who may not shut anyone down, but with the pass rush we should have, will take advantage of bad throws. So while we may get gashed for some plays, a turnover here and there will theoretically balance it out.

Exactly!!!

It's always good to have a shutdown corner but a shutdown corner alone doesn't win you a championship. You need guys that can create turnovers.

-Oakland and Philly didn't win a SB with Nnamdi.

-Washington and Denver never won one with Bailey.

-NYJ never won it with Revis

Thank you, this is what I was looking for. Now even changing the way they played they were still giving up lots of yards and TDs. Ryan had 300+ 2 TDs, Brees almost 400 4 TDs, Brady Quinn had his only TDs the entire season that game. Which goes to what I said in the OP, did they really get better or did they just appear that way because they faced QBs like Nick Foles and Matt Leinart. IMO they limited lesser QBs (excluding Quinn) but performed bad against the good ones. That happened the entire season, which supports them not really improving much.

Ok so you feel the coverage was better and the yardage/TDs came from late prevent/zone defense. Thanks, I appreciate the answer.

Rivera always seemed to have jags in the secondary, but usually a good free safety. Which I'm hoping Godfrey can be

With the front 7 group we have, you can send 3 instead of 4 out there to cover and we will be better than we were last year.

I'm telling you guys get ready to really like Mike Mitchell at SS. He will have a Marlon McCree type impact on this team.

Rivera always seemed to have jags in the secondary, but usually a good free safety. Which I'm hoping Godfrey can be

looking at his last year in 2010.... both corners were first round picks, FS a 2nd.

Year before that they had 3 first round CBs on the roster, all drafted by SD

In our division with all the fire power, our secondary is never going to have good stats on paper. At the end of the day, total defense is all that matters. Last year we couldn't close games out because of Nak and we couldn't stop the run. Stopping the run was much improved in the second half if the year solely bc of Davis and Kuechly.

2cmqetv.jpg

end thread?

nah...who am i kidding. this will get  spun to show that it doesn't prove anything.