Marty's drafts with Ron (at least the first two rounds) weren't all bad

#32 Catalyst

Catalyst

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,107 posts
  • LocationMorehead City

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:57 AM

I think it's just that they speak the same language, so to speak. You can tell the communication is a lot better than with Hurney, who wasn't a football guy. Gettleman understands the X's & 0's as well as Rivera does.

#33 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,233 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:50 AM

He did seem happier to me, I assumed that's because he was working with/for a GM who is willing to listen and take action on more of his input.

There was a comment made in the presser about how the position coaches had a chance to provide input on the prospects and apparently they didn't before... Gettleman also said something along the lines of drafting a player the coaches didn't believe was a good scheme fit and Gettleman's take was it doesn't matter how good the prospect is if the coaches don't believe the player is a good scheme fit... lots of reading between the lines in those pressers.

Sounds like Hurney wasn't interested in the position coaches input and drafted the players he wanted to draft regardless of whether or not the coaching staff thought those players were a good scheme fit.... Seems like common sense to me that a GM would consider scheme fit and it may explain some of our struggles in the draft under Hurney.

I'm really feeling good about Gettleman and Rivera being able to get things going here, sounds like they are much closer and communicate much better than Rivera/Hurney did.

I vaguely remember there were whispers that Rivera and Hurney didn't always work well together, but I don't think it was ever substantiated.

I'd agree that with Gettleman there's probably more likemindedness, more common language and terminology, and likely also more trust that he knows what he's doing given how much experience at personnel evaluation Gettleman has.

Guess you can sum it up by saying maybe he just feels better working with someone in whom he has confidence that he knows what he's doing.

#34 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:43 AM

Hurney went rogue.

#35 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• ALL-PRO
  • 8,714 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:27 AM

I vaguely remember there were whispers that Rivera and Hurney didn't always work well together, but I don't think it was ever substantiated.

I'd agree that with Gettleman there's probably more likemindedness, more common language and terminology, and likely also more trust that he knows what he's doing given how much experience at personnel evaluation Gettleman has.

Guess you can sum it up by saying maybe he just feels better working with someone in whom he has confidence that he knows what he's doing.

I get this feeling as well.

Hurney was a buffoon, IMO.

He was not a football guy, and always seemed to me to not understand the X's and O's very well.  Never seemed to know which way the franchise should head, and had trouble accepting that this is a changed game from when he covered the Redskins as a beat writer.

Ron has much more in common with Gettleman than Marty.

#36 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,814 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:27 PM

I don't think ya can take that much away from the pressed. IMO.

#37 The Golden Child

The Golden Child

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:39 PM

628x471.jpg

#38 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,233 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:06 AM

I got the opposite as well. Especially from the presser after the Short pick. Almost as if his opinion didn't matter.

The pressers have conveyed just the opposite.

Although he has final say, Gettleman has stated that all draft decisions will be collaborative decisions. He's sought input from the head coach, coordinators and even position coaches on every player drafted.

I'd add further evidence can be found in Rivera's seeming newfound enjoyment of the term "hog molly".

#39 iBBB

iBBB

no more maybe next year.

• ALL-PRO
  • 556 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:40 AM

I somewhat tend to believe that Ron had something to do with the fire of Hurney

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com