#48 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:07 PM

Ironite now.

15-0-15 slow release when it gets warmer, but not during a drought.

You seem o know a lot more about this than me....

This new yard is about 1/2 weeds 1/2 centipede. Weeds re burning back now but I have some dry sandy areas with no grass.

Really starting to look bad now.

So you think water and 15-0-15 slow release will give the grass enough of a boost to start chocking out the weeds?

#49 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,539 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:00 PM

This new yard is about 1/2 weeds 1/2 centipede. Weeds re burning back now but I have some dry sandy areas with no grass.

So you think water and 15-0-15 slow release will give the grass enough of a boost to star

Mine pookt chocking out the weeds?

Mine looks like poo too. Get some spray weed control, fertilize, don't cut it really short, and water it.

#50 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,816 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:47 AM

So you think water and 15-0-15 slow release will give the grass enough of a boost to start chocking out the weeds?

Don't be too surprised or upset it it takes more than just this season to get the yard back to looking good.  The early growing season is over and weeds like the heat more than grass.

You will probably fight it all season. 

#51 Boner Champ

Boner Champ

Future Training Camp MVP

• HUDDLER
  • 5,348 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:08 AM

It's almost impossible to go from 50+% of weeds to less than 10% in the same season....it usually takes at least one full cycle before you begin to see very noticeable results.

-Keep your grass cut weekly. This chops off the tops of weeds so they can't flower and reproduce seed. Be careful not to cut it too short.
-Put down crabgrass preventer in the early spring/late fall
-Fertilize, with weed control pre emerge quarterly
-do not aerate and seed your lawn while using pre emerge. What I have always been told is wait at least one season before aerate/seed. The pre emerge does not allow for any growth, so putting down grass seed won't work.

#52 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,394 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:43 AM

my best suggestion for yard work is do it during the day. but that's just me....

#53 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,367 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:58 AM

I forget the name of the place I went to so many times when I was down there, but it was off north college in an industrial park close to a neighborhood. This place is a landscaping supply type place and sells every lawn product you will ever need and gives out care guide sheets for the type of seed you go with. I highly recommend doing this for wherever a person lives. I did last year when I moved to the triad, and my yard is already above average for the block. Normally it will take four years to get your yard straight, but if you take the right steps and put something down pretty much every month you will be ahead of the curve.

#54 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,367 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:21 AM

Also. You want a broadcast spreader and not a drop to apply whatever you are putting down. Drop spreaders can leave uncovered lines.

#55 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,749 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:23 AM

Aerate and seed this fall, then seed again next spring.  The only way to truly get rid of weeds is to swarm them with grass or they'll just come back.

#56 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,367 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:37 AM

The care sheets i mentioned will say to seed and aerate in the fall. Use a starter fertilizer when you do, and don't put straw down because it has a ton of weeds in it. Doing this in the spring will not be totally pointless, but a lot of the root system will not be developed enough by summer and the heat will just burn it up. Fall is the best time.

One tip that won't be on care sheets is this. Stop by a bait shop and get earth worms and throw them on bare spots in your yard before it rains. They will aerate for you.

#57 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,816 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:50 PM

It's almost impossible to go from 50+% of weeds to less than 10% in the same season....it usually takes at least one full cycle before you begin to see very noticeable results.

-Keep your grass cut weekly. This chops off the tops of weeds so they can't flower and reproduce seed. Be careful not to cut it too short.
-do not aerate and seed your lawn while using pre emerge. What I have always been told is wait at least one season before aerate/seed. The pre emerge does not allow for any growth, so putting down grass seed won't work.

Also bag your grass if you can. Keeping it cut short will keep the weeds from coming to seed. Bagging will ensure no additional seeds make it to the ground to grow.

#58 TheAmericanDream

TheAmericanDream

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • LocationTriad

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:59 PM

So much wrong in this post not sure where to begin.

#59 TheAmericanDream

TheAmericanDream

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • LocationTriad

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:04 PM

It's not impossible to go from a weed filled yard to less than 5% of weeds.
No need for crabgrass preventer in the fall.
No need to wait a season to reseed when you use pre emergent.
You wouldn't be using a pre emergent in the fall when you would reseed. So theres no need to wait to plug and seed.

#60 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,367 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:37 PM

Like I said. Anyone serious about getting a premier looking lawn should go to a local landscaping supply store and get a recommended care schedule for their grass type growing in their area. Soil types will vary as well as seed types and climates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com