#1 cyfan964

cyfan964

NEWB

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

A WHOLE PIE!

Iowa State fan here to give you guys a little bit of background info on AJ Klein.

I know a lot of you on here were questioning the pick up of AJ and I completely get it. I agree that the Panthers probably had other holes that needed to be filled, but I honestly think the Panthers thought AJ was the best available... and he very well may have been.

He was the rock of our LB'ing core for 3 years. As a sophmore he had 111 tackles, 116 as a junior, and 117 as a senior. Those are some pretty impressive numbers with the competition of the B12. He also had 5 INT's in his career, 4 of which he took to the house. He's got above average speed and he is very smart.  I don't know that I ever saw him completely blow a coverage or take a bad route to the ball. Our special teams was weak for a couple years of his career so he filled in as a freshman and sophomore.  Most of his sophomore year he played full time defense AND special teams. He was also co-defensive player of the B12.

He came out of Wisconsin and played with a chip on his shoulder at ISU because Wisconsin didn't offer him a scholarship. He went on to be one of the best LBers in the B12 and one of the best ever at ISU. Now people are questioning why he was taken and that just gives him something else as motivation.

Just so you guys know you got a hell of a teammate, a leader, and a workhorse. You may be questioning the pick now, but you'll get it come football season. This guy will give you everything he has, every play, whether it be on defense or special teams. You also now have about 45,000 Cyclone fans that will be cheering for the Panthers every Sunday.

#2 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,170 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:15 PM

I liked the pick, and hope he continues the tradition of strong Panthers linebackers.

#3 Fox007

Fox007

• HUDDLER
  • 8,176 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:19 PM

I saw Iowa State this year in a few games and they had an underrated defense.

They had a stud CB whose name escapes me and Klein...both of those guys were in on what seemed like every play.

#4 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,779 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:19 PM

just the kind of thing i was wanting to hear and was expecting.

we'll be glad we drafted him.

#5 cyfan964

cyfan964

NEWB

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:22 PM

I saw Iowa State this year in a few games and they had an underrated defense.

They had a stud CB whose name escapes me and Klein...both of those guys were in on what seemed like every play.

The CB you were thinking of was probably Jeremy Reeves.  He could have gone to any school he wanted if he wasn't 5'7".  We gave him a shot and he was an absolute lockdown corner for us for 3 years.  Ball never went his way.  It's fun watching a 5'7" guy completely lock down a 6'3" receiver.

Also when you are 5'7" it allows you to do awesome stuff like this:

#6 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 37,485 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:24 PM

Sounds good, though to be fair I wasn't one of the folks critical of the pick,

#7 OchoNueve

OchoNueve

for those of you that don't habla espanol...

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:25 PM

Thank you for the warm, fuzzy feeling.  Hope he is as productive and consistent in the NFL as he was for the Cyclones.  Seems like he is the high-character type player that the Panthers aim for.

#8 cyfan964

cyfan964

NEWB

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:27 PM

Thank you for the warm, fuzzy feeling.  Hope he is as productive and consistent in the NFL as he was for the Cyclones.  Seems like he is the high-character type player that the Panthers aim for.

You hit the nail on the head there.  He was the player going above and beyond and really meshing with the community.  He was the guy going to the local hospitals, the high school games, and coming out to the tailgate lots after the game to sign autographs and shoot the s***. 

#9 CAVSS

CAVSS

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:28 PM

He also played all three LB positions in college. I dont understand how anyone could think that LB depth isnt a huge need for us. When was the last time we ended a season with three healthy starting LB's? Love the pick.

#10 Fox007

Fox007

• HUDDLER
  • 8,176 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:31 PM

I wasn't really against our draft it's just funny as hell that we drafted another LB/RB

#11 cyfan964

cyfan964

NEWB

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

He also played all three LB positions in college. I dont understand how anyone could think that LB depth isnt a huge need for us. When was the last time we ended a season with three healthy starting LB's? Love the pick.

Duh, can't believe I forgot to mention that.  We were plagued by injury in the LB core.  He was originally a Will LB, but was forced to switch to ILB when we had our starter there go out with a broken leg, he then filled in at SAM when another LB was out with extended shoulder problems.  He's a prototypical ILB, but has the speed to fill in if necessary.  He's also hugely underrated in coverage in my opinion although I'm incredibly biased. ;)

#12 tiger7_88

tiger7_88

old skool SWAG

• HUDDLER
  • 4,356 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:34 PM

He was coached by Paul Rhoads?

I'm in.

(I'm a huge fan of Paul Rhoads.)

#13 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• HUDDLER
  • 4,889 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:34 PM

Loved the pick myself (especially with TD/Beason's health concerns).  Fully expect him to make an impact whether it be next year or down the road. 

#14 mwright350

mwright350

Thy Jimmies shall be Rustled

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  • LocationChina Grove, NC

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

I find it difficult to be critical of the pick myself - considering that we might need a LB if one of our two oft-injured projected starters has an injury bug relapse.  I liked what I was of him when I was watching highlights and I'm glad to hear the kind of endorsement Iowa State fans have given.

#15 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,568 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:44 PM

His success will have a lot to do with Beason. Beason has to show that he can stay healthy, play well at the Will AND take a pay cut this offseason. If he doesn't do all three of those things I think Mr. Klein will be starting next season.

I do look forward to seeing him on ST's this season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.