Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

my take on kugbila...

47 posts in this topic

Posted

I hadn't watched all that much on him yet, but from what I did see this all matches up very well. What kind of struck me was that the scouting notes that he didn't seem to have a "mean streak" actually made sense when you watch him play. He's so big and so physical that it seemed more like he was rearranging deck chairs than shoving football players around, so as long as he was keeping his blocks in front of him he just did what he had to do and then went back to the huddle. What I did like is when he got chipped or beat he seemed to respond by finding that player later and pancaking them, so perhaps his mean streak comes out when you make him angry.

Posted

Ray, do me a favor and link some of what you found.

I did a cursory search on him the other da and couldn't find much outside an old high school highlight reel that wasn't very good quality,

Posted

I hadn't watched all that much on him yet, but from what I did see this all matches up very well. What kind of struck me was that the scouting notes that he didn't seem to have a "mean streak" actually made sense when you watch him play. He's so big and so physical that it seemed more like he was rearranging deck chairs than shoving football players around, so as long as he was keeping his blocks in front of him he just did what he had to do and then went back to the huddle. What I did like is when he got chipped or beat he seemed to respond by finding that player later and pancaking them, so perhaps his mean streak comes out when you make him angry.

I kinda thought this too, though I admit I probably didn't watch nearly as much as Rayzor did.  He didn't really ever seem to be "mad" - he just moved people around where he wanted them to go, unless he'd been beaten then he mauled them later.  Likely he just didn't have to play mean with the competition level he had most of the time.

Posted

Ray, do me a favor and link some of what you found.

I did a cursory search on him the other da and couldn't find much outside an old high school highlight reel that wasn't very good quality,

i just made a search on youtube for valdosta state football.

i can't remember everything i clicked on or who they were playing each time because it was really late.

here's a couple videos to get you started. most of the games they have the dark uniforms and he's #70 playing RG.

this one is one of his first games at RG in 2011 so he's looking a little lost, but he gets better through the season. look at his size and compare it to what he's like in 2012 and even now. it's pretty striking.

one of the david dean shows. typical small college football show.

you'll find links to more stuff through this, but this will give you a sense of what he can do (and what i spent an hour and a half sifting through trying to fall asleep).

Posted

I kinda thought this too, though I admit I probably didn't watch nearly as much as Rayzor did.  He didn't really ever seem to be "mad" - he just moved people around where he wanted them to go, unless he'd been beaten then he mauled them later.  Likely he just didn't have to play mean with the competition level he had most of the time.

yeah, i saw a couple moments that looked like he was "mad" as in he got someone on the ground and kept shoving them almost daring them to get back up and a couple of the times he threw someone around he looked like he was doing it with a bit more vigor than usual, but usually it was him just pushing and throwing people around.

rearranging deck chairs.....lol yeah, that fits. looked pretty effortless at times.

Posted

He looks HUGE compared to the other guys.

Posted

He looks like he doesn't belong on the field with those guys, it's no wonder they won the title this past season. 

Posted

I just wanna know if Valdosta had success running his side. If the answer is "yes", that's all I need to know.

Posted

He looks HUGE compared to the other guys.

yeah, that's one thing to take into consideration when watching this. the level of competition and also the size of the competition.

at 6'4 315 or whatever, he's still going to be a big guy on the field. i think the way he carries himself makes him seem bigger, if that makes sense.

Posted

I just wanna know if Valdosta had success running his side. If the answer is "yes", that's all I need to know.

absolutely. he pushed his way to the second level and in short yardage/goalline situations he opened up the way. i don't want to say it was guaranteed, but i didn't see any times that it wasn't successful, unlike the left side where he wasn't.

he's a brute.

Posted

absolutely. he pushed his way to the second level and in short yardage/goalline situations he opened up the way. i don't want to say it was guaranteed, but i didn't see any times that it wasn't successful, unlike the left side where he wasn't.

he's a brute.

Gettleman has a philosophy and he's sticking to it. He want BIG NASTY guys on both side of the ball. Amini, Kugbila, and Star are all crazy aggressive linemen. We're getting up there with a team like SF who has brutal linemen.

Star and Amini are going to battle each and every single practice for the next few years. They're gonna be very good friends. I can see it already.