Photo
- - - - -

my take on kugbila...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
46 replies to this topic

#37 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

you cannot tell from his combine photos.

yep. he's pretty well proportioned. you have to think that a guy that disciplined himself that much the past two years will only get better, esp. when he gets to work with a pro level training program.

tbh, i think that is also a good indicator of his ability to reach his potential. he's a hard, disciplined, and committed worker able to achieve what he sets out to do. he's shown improvement in the past couple years with his playing.

i think he has what it takes to succeed.

#38 rayzor

rayzor

Moderators

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:29 PM

I'm trying not to get too far ahead of myself, but I can't help but grin from ear to ear at the interior of the oline should Kugzilla pan out. Double dip at OT next year? :sword:

i wouldn't be surprised. not what i would want to do, but i could definitely see it happening.

smart money on the mocks is double dipping at OT the first couple rounds.

if gettleman is truly taking the long view, i can see him wanting to make sure the trenches are set for the next 10 years and then just being opportunistic and building outwards.

#39 PhillyB

PhillyB

sườn núi phía đông thứ ba của mặt trời

SUPPORTER

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:35 PM

nice writeup. I'm excited about this guy. I'm honestly not sure he's a human

#40 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:36 PM

I read where he was highly recruited by big schools, Alabama being one.  He couldn't get in because of low essay scores, which I will chalk up to only living here since he was 10.  No sacks allowed in two seasons is pretty impressive, and it sounds like his football IQ is pretty fair.  Excited to see what he can do at this level.

#41 rayzor

rayzor

Moderators

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:38 PM

I read where he was highly recruited by big schools, Alabama being one.  He couldn't get in because of low essay scores, which I will chalk up to only living here since he was 10.  No sacks allowed in two seasons is pretty impressive, and it sounds like his football IQ is pretty fair.  Excited to see what he can do at this level.

gettleman actually called up saban to get his input on kugbila.

must have been a pretty ringing endorsement.

#42 Kuech the Sneak

Kuech the Sneak

HUDDLER

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:05 PM

Did he actually? Starting to make me wonder how quickly this guy can start

#43 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

HUDDLER

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:11 PM

Link please. That is great info.

#44 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

HUDDLER

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:16 PM

If we are gonna compete with teams like the 49ers we have too beef up the lines.

#45 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

HUDDLER

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:29 PM

a wr screen was thrown to the left side, he cleared out his initial block, ran over to the other side of the field and took another guy out so the receiver was able to score.  dude has a motor and an appetite

#46 rayzor

rayzor

Moderators

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:30 PM

Link please. That is great info.

from a james dator tweet relaying what he heard from taylor zarzour on wfnz.

@James_Dator

Wow.... interesting from @TaylorZRadio: Gettleman called Nick Saban to get his opinion on Kugbila

there's probably more that was said in an interview somewhere.

#47 rayzor

rayzor

Moderators

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:28 AM

couple things...

first was a comment i saw on draftpanthers.com about drafting him and i saw a comment they had received from matt elder who has done a lot of good stuff with nfl draft sites network, particularly buffalobillsdraft.com.

anyway....i saw this on the kugbila pick

“Nasty player who plays with an edge and finished his blocks. He was over shadowed a bit by Gene Upshaw Award finalist Ryan Schraeder at OT. He’s very good blocking in the phone booth but can move as well. His SS time 4.65 is nuts for a 315+ guy. He played as high as 330 and is a bit sloppy in his build. He has power in his hands and can stun the defender with his punch. Technically he’s raw and he doesn’t get great leverage. Needs some time but a high upside guy.”

and then also this from gettleman's conversation on the radio this morning when talking about the pick and how it wasn't a reach (via http://www.derp/2013/5/2/4292870/dave-gettleman-interview-with-wfnz).

The forth round selection of Edmund Kugbila was the most controversial pick of the weekend, but he had a very simple answer to a big question: "No, it was not a reach". When evaluating a small-school player, Dave Gettleman talked about how you need to see him dominating at that competition level, then project whether you could see him doing the same at the highest level. He felt this way about Kugbila.

and i think that's the right view to take with any small school guy rather than just simply writing them off.

you don't want competitive at that level, you want dominant. then you look at the measurables and how it stacks against people already in the league and see if it will translate.

kugbila definitely was dominant. he was a man among kids in a playground from the way it looked. you look at his size, strength, awareness, reactiveness, and speed and compare it to others not just in the draft, but in the league and he most definitely is someone who can compete in the NFL....and i said can, not will, but that's true with anyone you draft.