#1 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,696 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:31 PM

Although fans are drooling over Lee and his athletic ability at USC, I have my attention focused on Clemson's Sammy Watkins (who actually took the spotlight away from Marqise this past season). The former Fort Myers, FL native has been electric and explosive in his own right. Watkins is what Gettlemania would classify as a 'touchdown scorer' and could've potentially been the first receiver to be taken in the 2014 draft. However, Sammy was arrested in May for drug possession (which might push his stock into the later rounds as a result), so are to believe that IF Watkins declares for the draft next year and IF he's just as impactful as he was in 2012, would Carolina realistically consider him?

#2 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

• HUDDLER
  • 4,608 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:36 PM

If he stays healthy and puts up the numbers he's capable of producing, he certainly won't be "pushed into the later rounds".  Justin Blackmon got drafted #5 overall shortly after a DUI.  The Honey Badger was drafted in the 3rd with everyone knowing he smokes like Cheech and Chong.  If he has a big year, Watkins is a 1st round lock, especially after he smokes the Combine.

#3 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,309 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:37 PM

Watkins was a major disappointment this year....Nuk carried Clemson's recieving game.

He is more diverse than Nuk. He is a homerun threat as a return man, WR, rusher and he even
has a good arm.

I still think Nuk is the better all around pure WR.

But Watkins has the limitless ceiling that is oh so tempting. If, and it is an if, he has a GREAT year + his skill set....you are gonna have to really suck to have a shot at him

#4 nickzz

nickzz

o

• HUDDLER
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:41 PM

Although fans are drooling over Lee and his athletic ability at USC, I have my attention focused on Clemson's Sammy Watkins (who actually took the spotlight away from Marqise this past season). The former Fort Myers, FL native has been electric and explosive in his own right. Watkins is what Gettlemania would classify as a 'touchdown scorer' and could've potentially been the first receiver to be taken in the 2014 draft. However, Sammy was arrested in May for drug possession (which might push his stock into the later rounds as a result), so are to believe that IF Watkins declares for the draft next year and IF he's just as impactful as he was in 2012, would Carolina realistically consider him?

no he didn't... lee was unquestionably the best receiver in college ball this past year and watkins had a major dropoff from his freshman year. lee improved after an already impressive freshman year.

#5 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• ALL-PRO
  • 19,366 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:42 PM

unless someone on our roster jumps the fug up into WR1 contention this year there is no question we'll be forced to draft a first-rounder next season.

#6 nickzz

nickzz

o

• HUDDLER
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:43 PM

unless someone on our roster jumps the fug up into WR1 contention this year there is no question we'll be forced to draft a first-rounder next season.

and we can only hope marqise lee declares and is available when we pick. i think he goes way before our pick, though.

#7 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,696 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:44 PM

no he didn't... lee was unquestionably the best receiver in college ball this past year and watkins had a major dropoff from his freshman year. lee improved after an already impressive freshman year.

Not the perception I got from ESPN and SI. From the articles I've read, it seems to me that Watkins got most of the attention.

#8 nickzz

nickzz

o

• HUDDLER
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:50 PM

i expected watkins to pretty much take over college football after his freshman year but i ended up being EXTREMELY disappointed with his production. he wasn't even the #1 at clemson; hopkins took over that role. lee, on the other hand, did exactly what i expected watkins to do.

http://espn.go.com/c...334/marqise-lee

http://espn.go.com/c...9/sammy-watkins

i realize stats don't always tell the entire story but in this case they do. lee was unbelievable... watkins was ordinary. that said, i still expect watkins to kill it next season.

another forgotten name is dorial green-beckham, the #1 WR recruit last season. he had a disappointing freshman year (http://espn.go.com/c...l-green-beckham) but the guy is a freak and mizzou was trash.

#9 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,309 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:54 PM

Not the perception I got from ESPN and SI. From the articles I've read, it seems to me that Watkins got most of the attention.

Watkins had tons of hype bc he was so impressive as a freshman. He was a major letdown this year though....and Nuk dwarfed his production

708 rec yards, 3 rec TDs for Sammy

1405 rec yards, 18 rec TDs for Nuk

#10 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,696 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:57 PM

Clemson fans said Watkins' stats dipped towards the end of the season because of his injury.

As for Green-Beckham, yeah it was a very underwhelming freshman season for him, especially since he's hyped as the next Calvin Johnson.

#11 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,185 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:58 PM

Lee is the superior prospect in my mind, especially in terms of their individual skillsets translate to the pro game. He's got a better build, more decisive running style laced with similar speed, long arms that steal the ball out of the air as well as any prospect of the last few years, and obviously played in a more NFL ready offense. Isn't a question in my mind.

#12 MrBubba

MrBubba

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:11 AM

WR would be nice but given Gettlemen's fondness for big guys; and Gross's contract, Bell's mediocre performance and we must/will go OT in first round.

#13 Mage

Mage

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:13 AM

But Watkins has the limitless ceiling that is oh so tempting. If, and it is an if, he has a GREAT year + his skill set....you are gonna have to really suck to have a shot at him

Or just have Watkins do something stupid, which isn't all that unlikely.

#14 BHiott

BHiott

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:16 AM

Watkins sat out two games for suspension and was sick or injured most of 2012. Taj Boyd is returning for 2013 and loves targeting Sammy. They use Watkins at the slot, outside and out of the backfield. At 6'1" and 210 he's a bigger and stronger Percy Harvin. If he stays healthy, he'll be the top receiver taken in 2014.

#15 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• HUDDLER
  • 6,239 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:16 AM

Watkins was one of the biggest potential guys the year before last, but last year Lee stole the show.  I'd be thrilled with either next year as long as neither has some huge dropoff this coming year.  Hopefully we're not exactly in position to draft them, but one falls to us for some reason (similar to what happened with Star this year, but we'll hopefully be further down the list next year...somewhere in the bottom 12 to be exact..)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com