Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sammy Watkins, 2014.

60 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

How many times does a player have a great sophomore or junior campaign only to fall back their senior year for whatever reason.  At least as many times as those who kill it their senior year and their stock climbs.  No one can predict where guys are going to go next April a year ahead.  I remember when Barkeley was touted as a first rounder and look where he  was drafted in the 4th round. What about our own  Hardy who was  projected as potential first rounder and was there for us in the 6th.  And these guys had no off field issues.  I know it  is dead as far as football news in May and most of June but making these kind of projections for 2014 already is ridiculous.

Posted · Report post

I want you guys to remember wanting a WR so when we don't draft one next year....again. You won't give me poo for criticizing it.

Part of the criticism is that there were no number 1 receivers in this draft like Julio Jones or AJ Greene.  You can't draft what isn't there.  And you shouldn't when you can get a starter like Star and a future starter like Short.  Any receiver we picked this year would likely be the 4th or 5th best receiver on the team  behind Smith, LaFell and Hixon. 

Posted · Report post

I doubt he would be there at 32 so we probably won't consider him.

Posted · Report post

Part of the criticism is that there were no number 1 receivers in this draft like Julio Jones or AJ Greene. You can't draft what isn't there. And you shouldn't when you can get a starter like Star and a future starter like Short. Any receiver we picked this year would likely be the 4th or 5th best receiver on the team behind Smith, LaFell and Hixon.

should you expect to draft a WR like julio or green at 14 or expect one of that caliber to be there? should you not draft one at that point unless they are of that caliber?

seems like awfully unrealistic expectations.

Posted · Report post

Kill it before it lays eggs. No thanks to Sammy Potkins.

Posted · Report post

Best WR in the draft IMO... Hoping we are in a position to take him next year.  He would be a perfect WR for Smitty to pass the torch to, but I won't hold my breath.  With my projections on where the Panthers will finish and be drafting vs. where he will be selected (too soon for projections?), we won't have much of a shot without trading up.

Posted · Report post

no he didn't... lee was unquestionably the best receiver in college ball this past year and watkins had a major dropoff from his freshman year. lee improved after an already impressive freshman year.

The hate for the kid based on the helmet he wears is ridiculous to the point that 708 yards and three touchdowns is stealing the show from a kid who put up 1721 receiving yards and 14 tds, and almost 2700 all purpose yards.....Yep, Watkins sure did steal the show from Marqise Lee....

Posted · Report post

Watkins was injured part of last year and part of the reason Hopkins did so well was because Watkins drew so much attention from opposing defenses.

Posted · Report post

Watkins was injured part of last year and part of the reason Hopkins did so well was because Watkins drew so much attention from opposing defenses.

Just like Lee drew safety help almost every snap at USC and still put up 1721....

Posted · Report post

I want you guys to remember wanting a WR so when we don't draft one next year....again. You won't give me poo for criticizing it.

Man, were just going to keep kicking the can down the road. I doubt we'll be in position to get any of these top notch, Calvin Johnson/Julio Jones/AJ Green esque WRs coming out next year. Plus, with Gross getting up there in age, we need to start looking at LT prospects. Instead of taking 2 damn DTs, we should've took a shot at one of these WRs this year in the 2nd. I think this years class of WRs will be a good group, plus we're gonna prob take one in the 2nd next year anyways. These guys are so enamoured with the next megatron or AJ Green, knowing we prob will never be in position to take one.

Posted · Report post

Part of the criticism is that there were no number 1 receivers in this draft like Julio Jones or AJ Greene. You can't draft what isn't there. And you shouldn't when you can get a starter like Star and a future starter like Short. Any receiver we picked this year would likely be the 4th or 5th best receiver on the team behind Smith, LaFell and Hixon.

This is utterly retarded.

"LYK zomg there are no once in a decade blue chip prospects there! Don't draft any of them!!!!"
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

The thing is Watkins will have Boyd back as his QB in 2013. Lee won't have Woods or Barkley back to him help. We'll see who has more impact this upcoming season.

Lee may be the one slippin, not Watkins. Considering what I've seen from Woods being highly regarded to falling into the 2nd rd, I wouldn't rule out that Lee could possibly slip out the top10-15 when all is done.