• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#16 OHK

OHK

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:20 AM

Although fans are drooling over Lee and his athletic ability at USC, I have my attention focused on Clemson's Sammy Watkins (who actually took the spotlight away from Marqise this past season). The former Fort Myers, FL native has been electric and explosive in his own right. Watkins is what Gettlemania would classify as a 'touchdown scorer' and could've potentially been the first receiver to be taken in the 2014 draft. However, Sammy was arrested in May for drug possession (which might push his stock into the later rounds as a result), so are to believe that IF Watkins declares for the draft next year and IF he's just as impactful as he was in 2012, would Carolina realistically consider him?

I'm guessing you have the years mixed up. Sammy Watkins exploded onto the scene last year, only to putter along this year, whilst it was Lee who was enjoying the phenomenal season this year, winning the Biletnikoff Award.

#17 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,370 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:22 AM

WR would be nice but given Gettlemen's fondness for big guys; and Gross's contract, Bell's mediocre performance and we must/will go OT in first round.

I think right now it's a tossup among WR, LT and CB for next year's most obvious need.  We NEED a future #1 WR to take over for Smitty when he hangs em up and Gettleman showed this year he won't settle for shots in the dark like Marty would.  With Gross likely gone after this year there's an obvious big need there too, but it's possible to find a guy in the 2nd there (same as WR) just not "elite" guys usually.  Guys like Cordy Glenn and Jonathan Martin who would be serviceable.  CB is the most likely need to fill after the 1st, decent CBs can be found throughout the rounds.  It all depends on FA/trades next year too, but discounting that I'd look at WR and LT as equally possibly 1st round candidates for us.

#18 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

• HUDDLER
  • 4,876 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:33 AM

There's going to be a lot of opportunity this season for some young CBs and WRs to play themselves into or out of our long-term plans.

#19 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

That wasn't a Penalty.

• HUDDLER
  • 9,811 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:04 AM

I personally like Jordan Matthews.

#20 Kuech Da Sneak

Kuech Da Sneak

As long as we aren't 32.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:17 AM

Do not want, seen him get shut down way too often.

No way he's even near a replacement for smitty.

#21 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 6,019 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:32 AM

Lee is a prototype WR who would be so good that most huddlers would waive the " USC skill player curse draft adversion" that has been recently been in effect.

Watkins reminds me a bit of Tedd Ginn in college..an ultra fast, tall WR that will make plays.

Lee reminds me of a faster AJ Green.

#22 dugbug

dugbug

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:46 AM

Well keep in mind if we draft him its because we have a high pick. I'd rather draft last :)

#23 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,827 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:58 AM

unless someone on our roster jumps the fug up into WR1 contention this year there is no question we'll be forced to draft a first-rounder next season.

Well only if we keep Gross and Kalil comes back healthy and we are fine with Bell

#24 AceBoogie

AceBoogie

LiveStrong

• HUDDLER
  • 4,599 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:32 AM

I want you guys to remember wanting a WR so when we don't draft one next year....again. You won't give me poo for criticizing it.

#25 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,667 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:38 AM

How many times does a player have a great sophomore or junior campaign only to fall back their senior year for whatever reason.  At least as many times as those who kill it their senior year and their stock climbs.  No one can predict where guys are going to go next April a year ahead.  I remember when Barkeley was touted as a first rounder and look where he  was drafted in the 4th round. What about our own  Hardy who was  projected as potential first rounder and was there for us in the 6th.  And these guys had no off field issues.  I know it  is dead as far as football news in May and most of June but making these kind of projections for 2014 already is ridiculous.

#26 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,667 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:42 AM

I want you guys to remember wanting a WR so when we don't draft one next year....again. You won't give me poo for criticizing it.

Part of the criticism is that there were no number 1 receivers in this draft like Julio Jones or AJ Greene.  You can't draft what isn't there.  And you shouldn't when you can get a starter like Star and a future starter like Short.  Any receiver we picked this year would likely be the 4th or 5th best receiver on the team  behind Smith, LaFell and Hixon. 

#27 Second_Solution

Second_Solution

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:49 AM

I doubt he would be there at 32 so we probably won't consider him.

#28 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,549 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:03 AM

Part of the criticism is that there were no number 1 receivers in this draft like Julio Jones or AJ Greene. You can't draft what isn't there. And you shouldn't when you can get a starter like Star and a future starter like Short. Any receiver we picked this year would likely be the 4th or 5th best receiver on the team behind Smith, LaFell and Hixon.

should you expect to draft a WR like julio or green at 14 or expect one of that caliber to be there? should you not draft one at that point unless they are of that caliber?

seems like awfully unrealistic expectations.

#29 SCMunnerlyn1

SCMunnerlyn1

The Fuhckening has begun

• HUDDLER
  • 5,389 posts
  • LocationValdosta Georgia

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:04 AM

Kill it before it lays eggs. No thanks to Sammy Potkins.

#30 OchoNueve

OchoNueve

for those of you that don't habla espanol...

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:36 AM

Best WR in the draft IMO... Hoping we are in a position to take him next year.  He would be a perfect WR for Smitty to pass the torch to, but I won't hold my breath.  With my projections on where the Panthers will finish and be drafting vs. where he will be selected (too soon for projections?), we won't have much of a shot without trading up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com