59 replies to this topic

#31 C47

C47

89...Panther for Life...

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,200 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:49 AM

no he didn't... lee was unquestionably the best receiver in college ball this past year and watkins had a major dropoff from his freshman year. lee improved after an already impressive freshman year.

The hate for the kid based on the helmet he wears is ridiculous to the point that 708 yards and three touchdowns is stealing the show from a kid who put up 1721 receiving yards and 14 tds, and almost 2700 all purpose yards.....Yep, Watkins sure did steal the show from Marqise Lee....

#32 jtm

jtm

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:52 AM

Watkins was injured part of last year and part of the reason Hopkins did so well was because Watkins drew so much attention from opposing defenses.

#33 C47

C47

89...Panther for Life...

• HUDDLER
  • 12,200 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:54 AM

Watkins was injured part of last year and part of the reason Hopkins did so well was because Watkins drew so much attention from opposing defenses.

Just like Lee drew safety help almost every snap at USC and still put up 1721....

#34 AggieLean.

AggieLean.

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationChattanooga, TN via Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:41 AM

I want you guys to remember wanting a WR so when we don't draft one next year....again. You won't give me poo for criticizing it.

Man, were just going to keep kicking the can down the road. I doubt we'll be in position to get any of these top notch, Calvin Johnson/Julio Jones/AJ Green esque WRs coming out next year. Plus, with Gross getting up there in age, we need to start looking at LT prospects. Instead of taking 2 damn DTs, we should've took a shot at one of these WRs this year in the 2nd. I think this years class of WRs will be a good group, plus we're gonna prob take one in the 2nd next year anyways. These guys are so enamoured with the next megatron or AJ Green, knowing we prob will never be in position to take one.

#35 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,468 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:09 AM

Part of the criticism is that there were no number 1 receivers in this draft like Julio Jones or AJ Greene. You can't draft what isn't there. And you shouldn't when you can get a starter like Star and a future starter like Short. Any receiver we picked this year would likely be the 4th or 5th best receiver on the team behind Smith, LaFell and Hixon.

This is utterly retarded.

"LYK zomg there are no once in a decade blue chip prospects there! Don't draft any of them!!!!"

#36 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 18,310 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:42 AM

The thing is Watkins will have Boyd back as his QB in 2013. Lee won't have Woods or Barkley back to him help. We'll see who has more impact this upcoming season.

Lee may be the one slippin, not Watkins. Considering what I've seen from Woods being highly regarded to falling into the 2nd rd, I wouldn't rule out that Lee could possibly slip out the top10-15 when all is done.

#37 C47

C47

89...Panther for Life...

• HUDDLER
  • 12,200 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:49 AM

The thing is Watkins will have Boyd back as his QB in 2013. Lee won't have Woods or Barkley back to him help. We'll see who has more impact this upcoming season.

Lee may be the one slippin, not Watkins. Considering what I've seen from Woods being highly regarded to falling into the 2nd rd, I wouldn't rule out that Lee could possibly slip out the top10-15 when all is done.

It comes down to QB play, because Nelson Agholor will command plenty of attention for USC....

#38 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 18,310 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:52 AM

It comes down to QB play, because Nelson Agholor will command plenty of attention for USC....

Let's hope so

#39 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:21 AM

Physicialy, Lee and Woods are on two planets. I hope he does fall.

#40 AceBoogie

AceBoogie

LiveStrong

• HUDDLER
  • 4,454 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:41 AM

Man, were just going to keep kicking the can down the road. I doubt we'll be in position to get any of these top notch, Calvin Johnson/Julio Jones/AJ Green esque WRs coming out next year. Plus, with Gross getting up there in age, we need to start looking at LT prospects. Instead of taking 2 damn DTs, we should've took a shot at one of these WRs this year in the 2nd. I think this years class of WRs will be a good group, plus we're gonna prob take one in the 2nd next year anyways. These guys are so enamoured with the next megatron or AJ Green, knowing we prob will never be in position to take one.

Exactly and please lets not forget that ATL traded up to get Julio. I hate that sit back and take whoever is there mentality. I would have rather we traded back into the first round to get Hopkins then draft Short in the 2nd. Or at least trade into the 3rd to get Allen instead of going back to the fuging hotel room after drafting Short that poo is ridiculous. 

#41 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,648 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:40 AM

should you expect to draft a WR like julio or green at 14 or expect one of that caliber to be there? should you not draft one at that point unless they are of that caliber?

seems like awfully unrealistic expectations.

If you are looking for a number 1 receiver then you need to draft a guy who projects to be that. Otherwise you go a different direction. Sure you might get lucky and draft a guy who surprises like Smitty himself but we all recognize that he is one of a kind. If we had 12 picks then you can waste one on a receiver and take a flyer. When you have 5 picks you have to make everyone count.

#42 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,648 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:51 AM

This is utterly retarded.

"LYK zomg there are no once in a decade blue chip prospects there! Don't draft any of them!!!!"

Thank you for prefacing what you were about to say was utterly retarded. I totally agree, what you said was totally retarded and very different from what I said. I am sorry I even wasted the time to read it.

#43 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,648 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:54 AM

Exactly and please lets not forget that ATL traded up to get Julio. I hate that sit back and take whoever is there mentality. I would have rather we traded back into the first round to get Hopkins then draft Short in the 2nd. Or at least trade into the 3rd to get Allen instead of going back to the fuging hotel room after drafting Short that poo is ridiculous.

Then we could have all bitched about why we took a receiver who was third or 4th on the depth chart while we continue to get gashed by every running back in the league and quarterbacks can just step up to avoid pressure because we have no defensive nose tackle. And no Short isn't great against the run and can't play the 0 technique.

Brilliant!!!!!!

#44 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,625 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:02 PM

If you are looking for a number 1 receiver then you need to draft a guy who projects to be that. Otherwise you go a different direction. Sure you might get lucky and draft a guy who surprises like Smitty himself but we all recognize that he is one of a kind. If we had 12 picks then you can waste one on a receiver and take a flyer. When you have 5 picks you have to make everyone count.

you can say that about any position except maybe guard.

sure things don't get out of the top 10 unless you are really lucky.

you say "project to be a number 1" but the standard that people arguing against drafting one have been using is the incredibly rare types like megatron and aj green. they don't have to be that caliber to be a number one. you should get the best player possible, but you should also be realistic out the expectations for the guy you draft mid to late first round. you may want elite talent. they may wind up being elite talent. but you don't not draft someone because they aren't assured of being elite talent. you want the best players you can get, but the later you pick in the draft, the less of a sure thing they are and the lower the ceiling might be. if you need someone to come in and take over that top spot, you don't sit around and wait for that sure thing and if you want to try and answer that need you don't take a timid approach and take low risk high reward guys hoping that you'll luck out with one. if it's  important to find that guy you understand that you might have to take a risk...esp. if you don't have a very early pick.

#45 AceBoogie

AceBoogie

LiveStrong

• HUDDLER
  • 4,454 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:23 PM

Then we could have all bitched about why we took a receiver who was third or 4th on the depth chart while we continue to get gashed by every running back in the league and quarterbacks can just step up to avoid pressure because we have no defensive nose tackle. And no Short isn't great against the run and can't play the 0 technique.

Brilliant!!!!!!

We were 14th!!! Against the run. That was better than 4 playoff teams including the Super Bowl champs. Hopkins is better than Lafell right now period so no he wouldn't have been 3rd or 4th. Star was a need Short was not. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com