• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#1 TruthVsComfort

TruthVsComfort

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:45 AM

BURKESVILLE, Ky. — Authorities in southern Kentucky say a 2-year-old girl has been accidentally shot and killed by her 5-year-old brother, who was playing with a .22-caliber rifle he received as a gift.

Kentucky State Police said the toddler was shot just after 1 p.m. CDT Tuesday in Cumberland County and was taken to a nearby hospital, where she was later pronounced dead.

Cumberland County Coroner Gary White told the Lexington Herald-Leader that the children's mother was at home at the time.

White told the newspaper that the boy received the rifle made for youths last year and is used to shooting it. He said the gun was kept in a corner and the family didn't realize a shell was left inside it.

White said the shooting will be ruled accidental.

An autopsy is scheduled for Wednesday.

http://www.huffingto...kusaolp00000009

Should a 5-year-old be given a damn rifle as a gift??? What the hell is wrong with people. Even Carl in the walking dead is like 12.

#2 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,591 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:56 AM

He got the gun last year too. WTF are people thinking?

My son who is 6 was at a friends house and I got a call asking if they could play with a bb gun. Um no.

#3 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 17,727 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:57 AM

I didn't give my boy a Red Ryder until he was 8.

#4 TruthVsComfort

TruthVsComfort

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:12 PM

I think cases like this should result in criminal charges, like involuntary manslaughter. fug letting these idiots get off by saying "Oops, it was an accident!"

Between choosing to pray for your child instead of taking them to the doctor and giving them guns as "gifts" - it is pretty easy to get rid of children you no longer want and get off with a light or no criminal penalty at all.

#5 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,423 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:22 PM

Poor parenting.

My son got a lever action .22 from my dad for his first birthday. It's been in the box since we've received it, but when he's old enough and mature enough, it'll be his.

5's too early. This is especially true for a rifle.

I got a BB gun at 6, and I wasn't very responsible with it.

#6 CatofWar

CatofWar

Join, or Die

• HUDDLER
  • 3,203 posts
  • LocationGitmo

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:30 PM

fuging crazy. Got my son an air soft colt 1911 for his 7th birthday. We went over the "it's not a toy" thing as well as gun safety. Only allowed to shoot it with me.

#7 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 15,676 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:34 PM

What is the point of a small child having access to any kind of gun before even a single pube sprouts? 

I mean, seriously?  I'm trying to understand here.

#8 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 22,297 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:38 PM

freedom

#9 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,423 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:41 PM

What is the point of a small child having access to any kind of gun before even a single pube sprouts? 

I mean, seriously?  I'm trying to understand here.

Zombies...

But, TBQH the only time they should have access would be under the supervision of a parent or other RESPONSIBLE adult...

All I did with my BB gun was shoot birds (which I learned to regret pretty fast), targets, and glass objects (some of which I learned a five finger lesson for).

There will be a point, though, that I want to be comfortable leaving my kids home alone or with their mom, knowing that if they had to, they could defend themselves or their mother with the deadly force of a firearm. It won't be 5 years old, but I could see early to pre-teen years.

#10 CatofWar

CatofWar

Join, or Die

• HUDDLER
  • 3,203 posts
  • LocationGitmo

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:43 PM

Femdom

#11 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:08 PM

This is why mandatory weapons training with an emphasis on safety should be a requirement prior to anyone purchasing/using a firearm.  People often don't consider/fully appreciate the ramifications of their decisions and a safety training course would likely help reduce the number of tragedies like this one.  Here is a similar incident that took place earlier this week.

A 5-year-old girl from the Southwest Alaska community of Mountain Village was shot and killed by her 8-year-old brother on Monday, Alaska State Troopers reported. The two young children had been left home alone when the shooting took place, troopers said.

Few details were available Tuesday, but the 8-year-old was reportedly playing with a .22-caliber Ruger rifle when the weapon discharged, fatally shooting his sister at about 2:20 p.m. Monday. It was not immediately clear if the shooting was accidental or intentional, and the girl's body was sent to the State Medical Examiner's office in Anchorage for an autopsy. The boy was familiar with the weapon and had used it the previous day to go hunting, according to Alaska State Troopers spokeswoman Megan Peters.

Peters added it was too early to say if the parents of the slain girl would face any potential charges related to leaving the children unattended for the "short period" in which the shooting took place. "It all depends on the facts of the case," and what the investigation reveals, she said

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/20130430/5-year-old-shot-killed-8-year-old-brother-remote-alaska

#12 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 17,103 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:17 PM

This is why mandatory weapons training with an emphasis on safety should be a requirement prior to anyone purchasing/using a firearm.  People often don't consider/fully appreciate the ramifications of their decisions and a safety training course would likely help reduce the number of tragedies like this one.  Here is a similar incident that took place earlier this week.

A 5-year-old girl from the Southwest Alaska community of Mountain Village was shot and killed by her 8-year-old brother on Monday, Alaska State Troopers reported. The two young children had been left home alone when the shooting took place, troopers said.

Few details were available Tuesday, but the 8-year-old was reportedly playing with a .22-caliber Ruger rifle when the weapon discharged, fatally shooting his sister at about 2:20 p.m. Monday. It was not immediately clear if the shooting was accidental or intentional, and the girl's body was sent to the State Medical Examiner's office in Anchorage for an autopsy. The boy was familiar with the weapon and had used it the previous day to go hunting, according to Alaska State Troopers spokeswoman Megan Peters.

Peters added it was too early to say if the parents of the slain girl would face any potential charges related to leaving the children unattended for the "short period" in which the shooting took place. "It all depends on the facts of the case," and what the investigation reveals, she said

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/20130430/5-year-old-shot-killed-8-year-old-brother-remote-alaska

I agree with you that there should be mandatory gun safety courses to own a gun.

But, it is the parent in both cases that is the idiot.

I am sorry, but an 8 yo is not old enough to understand and comprehend the dangers of owning/handling a gun.  They are just flat out not mature and developed enough.

No child should be give a gun at that age.

Not to mention that the parents should be charged with neglect.....who in their right mind leaves a 5 yo and 8 yo home ALONE.

#13 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:53 PM

I agree with you that there should be mandatory gun safety courses to own a gun.

But, it is the parent in both cases that is the idiot.

I am sorry, but an 8 yo is not old enough to understand and comprehend the dangers of owning/handling a gun.  They are just flat out not mature and developed enough.

No child should be give a gun at that age.

Not to mention that the parents should be charged with neglect.....who in their right mind leaves a 5 yo and 8 yo home ALONE.

If individuals that met the medical definition of "idiot" were the primary source of accidental gun deaths it would be a relatively easy process to eliminate most, if not all of these unfortunate incidents. Doctor to Gun Salesman: "That guy is an Idiot, don't sell him a gun!" Gun Salesman to Doctor: "OK". Unfortunately, I suspect most accidental firearm deaths are caused by people that are only "acting" like idiots. If that is true, it will be infinitely harder to identify those individuals ahead of time, since for them, being an "idiot" is not a permanent disability (though at times it may seem that way).  ;)

#14 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 21,781 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:38 PM

thank you, children, for sacrificing your lives to protect our Second Amendment. You are Patriots, and I think we should put your faces on a race car to prove it.

#15 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 11,892 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:10 PM

Kid would have killed her with a fork if the gun wasn't available.

If the 2 year old would have just had a gun to protect herself...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.