107 replies to this topic

#31 PhillyB

PhillyB

hari kari for amari

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,687 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:55 PM

What the hell is there to discuss? The pros vs. cons of 5 year olds shooting 2 year olds? Why this is a necessary evil? How this is caused by not enforcing the laws we already have or some other stupidity?

Two or three years ago I was completely non opinionated on all this because I truly saw all the positives and negatives, but the behavior of the gun nut crowd has turned me farther and farther away from their views, because they are not based on reality or the benefit of our nation. They are based on maintaining their hobby using any means to do so. It's become pretty disgusting to see.

this is kind of where i stand. i've been pretty ambivalent on this issue for quite some time, but the scope of the gun crowd's standpoint has shifted to a hysteria that equates to an insistence that the 2nd amendment means that any given citizen should have the capacity to stave off the u.s. military.

interestingly these same people tend to worship the military, so i guess they just don't realize that the people they claim to be defending against are the people who they sell raffle tickets for and memorialize with sentimental facebook graphics and yellow ribbon magnets

#32 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,773 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:18 PM

This is what I mean... CWG is treading into Delhommey territory.

Everyone that doesn't agree with their position on this is "gun nut".

I think a lot of the regulations and controls that are being proposed are quite acceptable and legitimate... but Delhommey has called me that very thing...

I knew you would take that bait. But I will stand by it, because I never said the words you just put in my mouth.

Your position on the regulations and controls are the same as mine. You are not suggesting that they are unconstitutional, or will lead to some slippery slope in where Obama grabs your guns.

That person is a gun nut. A person who rejects common sense legislation so they can keep tons of giant weapons for the sole reason of "they are fun" is a gun nut.

All I am doing is aggressively pointing out the stupidity of the argument against these things.

#33 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,983 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:26 PM

I knew you would take that bait. But I will stand by it, because I never said the words you just put in my mouth.

Your position on the regulations and controls are the same as mine. You are not suggesting that they are unconstitutional, or will lead to some slippery slope in where Obama grabs your guns.

That person is a gun nut. A person who rejects common sense legislation so they can keep tons of giant weapons for the sole reason of "they are fun" is a gun nut.

All I am doing is aggressively pointing out the stupidity of the argument against these things.

Thanks for proving my point for me by admitting that I "took the bait" to your trolling and saying that you're not looking for real discussion.

I didn't say that you were calling me specifically a "gun nut" but when you say...

but the behavior of the gun nut crowd

You're treading into delhommey territory just like I said. No one in this thread has said any of those things, yet out comes the "gun nut" defense.

I'm not saying there aren't gun nuts out there... there are... there's plenty of people that are not willing to discuss any kind of gun regulations at all. I'm not one of them and I think that they are wrong... just as wrong as the "ban all guns at all costs" crowd.

#34 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,585 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:53 PM

Can I point out so far you're pretty well mayor of the Mr Scott territory right now?

#35 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,983 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:57 PM

Thank you, I'll take that as a compliment.

#36 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,773 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:15 PM

Where is this "ban all guns at all costs " crowd?. To my knowledge it consists of one out of context Nancy Pelosi quote.

#37 Chimera

Chimera

Membrane

• HUDDLER
  • 11,201 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:05 AM

Where is this "ban all guns at all costs " crowd?. To my knowledge it consists of one out of context Nancy Pelosi quote.

http://m.metrotimes....s-now-1.1418281

http://smirkingchimp...-america-period

http://americablog.c...completely.html

http://www.newrepubl...an-all-the-guns

http://www.adequacy....21654.1217.html

http://mobile.wnd.co...r-ban-all-guns/

http://mtrn.gmnews.com/node/95175

http://blogs.ft.com/...ivate-guns-now/

#38 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,585 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:16 AM

Why does this crowd only get attention in ultra-conservative news sources I wonder?

#39 PhillyB

PhillyB

hari kari for amari

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,687 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:12 AM

I haven't read all of them, but the one I randomly clicked on - New Republic - was called "yes. really. ban all guns." and linked to a washington post article that supposedly called for it. I read it. It didn't

#40 TruthVsComfort

TruthVsComfort

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:35 PM

More on this same story:

"Down in Kentucky where we're from, you know, guns are passed down from generation to generation," White said. "You start at a young age with guns for hunting and everything."

What is more unusual than a child having a gun, he said, is "that a kid would get shot with it."

In this case, the rifle was made by a company that sells guns specifically for children – "My first rifle" is the slogan – in colors ranging from plain brown to hot pink to orange to royal blue to multi-color swirls.

"It's a normal way of life, and it's not just rural Kentucky, it's rural America – hunting and shooting and sport fishing. It starts at an early age," said Cumberland County Judge Executive John Phelps. "There's probably not a household in this county that doesn't have a gun."

White said the shooting had been ruled accidental, though a police spokesman said it was unclear whether any charges will be filed.

"I think it's too early to say whether there will or won't be," Trooper Billy Gregory said.

White said the boy received the .22-caliber rifle as a gift, but it wasn't clear who gave him the gun, which is known as a Crickett.

"It's a little rifle for a kid. ... The little boy's used to shooting the little gun," White said.

The company that makes the rifle, Milton, Pa.-based Keystone Sporting Arms, has a "Kids Corner" on its website with pictures of young boys and girls at shooting ranges and on bird and deer hunts. It says the company produced 60,000 Crickett and Chipmunk rifles for kids in 2008. The smaller rifles are sold with a mount to use at a shooting range.

http://www.huffingto..._n_3199807.html

#41 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,773 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:33 PM

I haven't read all of them, but the one I randomly clicked on - New Republic - was called "yes. really. ban all guns." and linked to a washington post article that supposedly called for it. I read it. It didn't

That's the way it is. Psychologically, you can't really be for something without being against something else. Gun nuts are so into their guns that in order to rationalize their fanaticism, they need an evil boogeyman that wants to take away their fun, and will make one up to do so. NO ONE HERE HAS EVER SAID anything approaching this, yet we are treated like we do, because if we aren't, it takes away the psychological foundation of the rationalization. See: Terrorists want to take away our "Freedom", the stupidest saying of the 2000s. Terrorist don't give a crap about our freedom, they give a crap about their own freedom to do what they want - and they also demonize the US in front of their own local corrupt governments so they have their own boogeyman.

This last gun show loophole thing was a no brainer, the NRA used to view it as a common sense idea - but hey, now the "bad guys" want to do it, it's suddenly an attack on "gun rights". It's as clear as freaking day.

#42 Chimera

Chimera

Membrane

• HUDDLER
  • 11,201 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:54 PM

i took a few links out because of things like that. either i missed one or you didn't read the entire article. i do remember a Washington post article somewhere from 1991 that called for the banning of private firearms.

#43 PhillyB

PhillyB

hari kari for amari

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,687 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:19 PM

i took a few links out because of things like that. either i missed one or you didn't read the entire article. i do remember a Washington post article somewhere from 1991 that called for the banning of private firearms.

that's actually the only one I'd clicked on

#44 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,773 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:30 PM

First two are the same one guy.

Third one is a blogger who does not even have their real name in the title.

Fourth one does not say it other than in the title. again, its one guy blogging.

Fifth one is again, one guy - from 2001.

Seventh one, again, one guy blogging (Sixth didn't open anything for me).

Last guy makes some great points, but also acknowledges that banning guns is a target, not a possibility.

So, I asked for information on the the "ban all guns crowd" and I get 5 or six people blogging their opinions. This is what is getting all of you thinking that there's some kind of giant movement out there to take your guns. I get more stupid memes from people on FB that I know, that are less sensical on the subject from the gun nut side EVERY DAY without even looking.

Hopefully you see what I am talking about here. If you don't, well, you have to be kind of dumb and I mean that in the nicest possible way.

#45 Chimera

Chimera

Membrane

• HUDDLER
  • 11,201 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:49 PM

that's actually the only one I'd clicked on

Actually you may want to re-read the first paragraph. He linked to the Post page because it agrees with a previous blog entry about guns doing more harm than good.

Banning guns is his idea, not the op ed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com