Photo
- - - - -

Gettleman on 610am - Summary of Interview

Best Answer TANTRIC-NINJA, 02 May 2013 - 08:29 AM

To add to the last two bullet points: 4.3 speed wr he mentioned was Jacksonville State's James Shaw.

Said 2 days into OTA's shows Ginn has "good enough" hands and they feel good about him. Spoke about possible expanded role in the offense for Ginn taking the top off and acknowledged his incosistant hands. Also mentioned sometimes guys get penalized bc they were "overdrafted" and never lived up to their draft position while speaking on Ginn.

When asked about possibly adding TEs he reverted to his "the answer is sometimes on the roster" he spoke about Nelson Rosario being a big strong kid who can contribute... would lead one to speculate that he is going to get a major opportunity to get a job while they will evaluate FA talent at the position.

Asked about having the on paper toughest NFL schedule he answered, "They have to play us!" credited Rivera for that swag.

When asked about drafting secondary he said he felt the roster has guys that developed and improved : mentioned DJ Campbell specifically and J Thomas..then added "you don't know what a good pass rush does for a defense.." -love that.

I have to say Gettleman seems to have a direct plan, vision and stays disciplined and I am real comfortable with him running the show.

He seems like he will not be afraid to make tough calls to secure the long term future for the teams success.

Hurney managed the draft as if he was using a draft guide that was outdated so it had some picks we all loved with big names(Clausen, Jarrett, Everette Brown) bc most of us loved immediate post draft Hurney if your honest with yourself. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#16 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,611 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:47 AM

DeAngelo is gone whether it be this year or next. Gonna be sad to see him go.

Personally I think Dwill and Stewart may be gone...just at differant times.Stew has a 9 million dollar next year but we should retain him this year.I think having the scat back is a good thing and adds a whole different dimension to the offense. 

#17 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 14,420 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:50 AM

I was pretty confident that the draft of Barner would not affect Williams any time soon.  Now after reading that I am having second thoughts.

#18 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,518 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:51 AM

Kk?

#19 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,526 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:52 AM

Heard that Gettleman and the Panthers liked KK so much, they flew him twice to Charlotte in one single day. How did we not catch that as a sign that he was going to be the pick at 44? Lol

I'm pretty sure a lot of people did.

#20 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 5,971 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:52 AM

I'm anxious to see Rosario. Smitty mentioned him on WFNZ last week as well. Said he is a guy who's catching everything and is very athletic.

Smitty, Gettleman and Jordan Gross all have highlighted him which to me says something: 2 veteran leaders and the boss-man visionary.

Rosario resembles a Jamarcus Finley WR conversion project. I know he has some cultish Huddle following but I am hoping he pans out with great success.. We are due for one of these guys.

#21 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 8,747 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:54 AM

Kk?

Kawaan Short

#22 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,208 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:55 AM

Kk?

Kawann Short. His teammates in college wanted to call him "K" for short, then realized he was too big for only one K, so they doubled up and called him "KK." It carried over immediately to G-man and the coaches, so they must have REALLY hit it off.

#23 OchoNueve

OchoNueve

for those of you that don't habla espanol...

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:55 AM

i hope he's right about hixon. considering the amount of time he spent with him in new york I'm sure he knows what he got. one thing to remember, tho, is what he said about never having too many good players at one position...don't think that because we didn't draft a WR doesn't mean the interest wasn't there in the draft and that hes settled on the corps as is.

I agree that we may have had a few WR's on our radar in the draft, but with the comments he made about:

-  Both Smitty & Lafell being established players (was kind of suprised he gave Lafell that respect although I do)

-  Hixon's versatility and ability to play all WR positions and help in return game if needed

-  Ginn's ability to stretch the field (although he needs to work on his hands) and mentioned that

-  Joe Adams is "coming along nicely"

I think that they are settled and believe we can compete now with what we have in house and will only upgrade if something becomes available that is too good to pass up.  He made no mention of Pilares, Gettis, or Armanti... not that I was expecting any.

#24 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

• HUDDLER
  • 5,971 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:57 AM

Stew is young enough to restructure n contribute. It is a critical year for him still with his cap number.

However, a high ankle sprain is a terrible injury. J stew has avoided a lot of serious injuries and a high ankle sprain is not a breaking down type injury.. It was rolled on really hard and hard to recover from.

If Barner can prove third down blocking then.. Deangelo could be a post June 1 cut.

I hope it is after the season but then again..Deangelo has had slow starts to the season n seems to get in shape in mid season. Not sure if Chuds playclling would have been that bad if Deangelo could break a tackle the first 6 weeks.

#25 Shermdog

Shermdog

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:02 AM

When did we grab this TE Rosario? Where did he come from?

#26 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,598 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:06 AM

I agree that we may have had a few WR's on our radar in the draft, but with the comments he made about:

-  Both Smitty & Lafell being established players (was kind of suprised he gave Lafell that respect although I do)

-  Hixon's versatility and ability to play all WR positions and help in return game if needed

-  Ginn's ability to stretch the field (although he needs to work on his hands) and mentioned that

-  Joe Adams is "coming along nicely"

I think that they are settled and believe we can compete now with what we have in house and will only upgrade if something becomes available that is too good to pass up.  He made no mention of Pilares, Gettis, or Armanti... not that I was expecting any.

i think he definitely upgraded the corps as a whole. i think even in just that we should be more competitive. I'm just worried about what things will look like without smitty. 

armanti, pilares and probably gettis are all gone, though. i can't imagine us keeping all three or even two of them. wouldn't surprise me at all to see none of those three on the roster by  time the season starts.

#27 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 19,958 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:08 AM

When did we grab this TE Rosario? Where did he come from?

Last year as a UDFA. Out of Ucla. He was a receiver in college. Tall kid with good hands they say.

#28 OchoNueve

OchoNueve

for those of you that don't habla espanol...

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:12 AM

i think he definitely upgraded the corps as a whole. i think even in just that we should be more competitive. I'm just worried about what things will look like without smitty. 

armanti, pilares and probably gettis are all gone, though. i can't imagine us keeping all three or even two of them. wouldn't surprise me at all to see none of those three on the roster by  time the season starts.

Agreed.  As much as I have come around on our WR corp as a whole recently, not having Smitty would change everything.  Lets hope he's still got 3 productive years left in the tank.

#29 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,052 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:12 AM

It's also important to note that drafting a HB and LB to this roster may seem silly until one of our HB's and/or LB's goes down... then it will seem like genius. You can never have enough depth at LB, especially with Be as on and Davis both coming off major injuries.

You can look at DT the same way... what happens if Dean goes down in the preseason with a significant injury? (God forbid)

#30 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

• HUDDLER
  • 5,971 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:18 AM

Funny how Huddlers and reporters forget about the year Stephen davis, Deshaun Foster went down and we ran with Nick Goings.

Or our lbers two season ago!! when UPS dudes were tackling for us.

No one position is really deep ..id say now our D- Line is deep and can withstand an inj to a key DE now..and Barner solidifies the HB depth(its a freakin 6th rounder!! Quit freaking out peeps)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com